Originally Posted By: "Allen"
I personally think its possible the $229 version will handle 4K at highest settings in most current games.

I don't agree with you on that point but it really depends on what your definition of 'will handle' is.

A gpu may handle a game at 2k or 4k but if that means it will run at a framerate of 10fps then its still unplayable......or if a steady framerate of 30fps drops to 15-20fps when busy is equally bad.

Likewise there are many cards under the minimum spec for VR that will handle it......but as we're all aware its the high 90+framerate that is absolutely key. If handling is running at a minimum then it simply won't be enough for some people regardless of price or power-efficiency. Lets be honest, the 980ti is pretty much the minimum for VR, although a 970 can 'handle' it.

I do agree with you that the AMD cards will suit many people, for enthusiasts who want cutting edge or one step behind the curve I think AMD are not going to be there for a good while yet. It will certainly be interesting to see how the RX480 fares against the 1070 but I can personally see it being the 980ti v FuryX all over again and we know how that turned out.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.