Hi, guys..

I was thinking about future of the SAM systems...(maybe miliang inspired me hahaha )... Particulary about protection against ARM and other weapons and ATBM capabilities...

We all are familiar (thanks to Mr. Hpasp, of course), about russian (USSR) "Dubler" and serbian decoys (based on variouse types of transmitters). I don't want to comment the efficiency of them (at least Col. Dani and his men are all alive), but I was thinking about other batterie (possible) deffensive fitures we didn't discused. Here some of my toughts:

1. Radar/IR/Terrain masking.

Watching some videos of night firing on Ashuluk, I've noticed that SAM position was very distinguished in the IR sector even observed true russian IR instruments. I had info about wide variety of IR reducing features (mainly covers from variouse materials), but didn't met info of their applications on SAM systems. Of course the heat of the launch cannot be hidden, but all other stuff (trailers and vans) must be consiled as much as it possible.

2. Eliminating/destroing ARM or guided bombs.

Thinking about the HARM - there were some tank active self defensive systems, which (maybe) could be adopted to defence SNR and other vital components of the system against HARM and GBU's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophy_active_protection_system

Other possible way to counter ARM threats is developing full active giudance for the missiles. In that way the emmission would be "carried away" from the battery.

3. Advanced guiding methods/sensors.

All systems we are familiar with are using radio fuse with/or command initiation of the warhead. Adding IR sensor could be a step ahead in dealing with decoys or any other counter measures against radiofuses.

I'll be glad if anybody shares his view about future of the SAM's. Also some real analize of ATBM system of NATO could be usefull, because I am not familiar about those missiles and radars which are implement in this system (exept Patriot PAC 3). Wikipedia articles are not welcome...

biggrin

P.S.
Interesting:
http://www.f-16.net/news_article787.html

Last edited by piston79; 05/22/12 11:14 AM.