Hmm, good to know. I'm sure I ask a lot of annoying, mostly unnecessary questions, but I'm very interested to know about the full operation of the systems. I'm probably about the only person that would actually love to see the complete systems modeled. Such as being able to preform the missile diagnostic test on the SA-5 missiles before they're fueled, etc. Granted, I've no idea how this could even be simulated as the scenario time frames would have to be huge. Wishful thinking from someone who wishes they could've served on a SA-4/5/10 battery I suppose. ;D

I've also been wondering for awhile now if you'd consider adding a graphically adequate 3d engine to the sim sometime down the road? The way I see it, this would be a great tool for AARs. It wouldn't be necessary to have a 3d view while playing, rather it could be used to show you the fine points of an engagement.

Have you ever played or seen the Steel Beasts Pro PE AAR feature? Basically, it works by playing a recording of whatever scenario you just played. You've a set of controls to pause, play, skip to next event, and skip to previous event. It allows you to see exactly what happened to each main gun round you've fired. I know on several occasions I've missed a target and wondered how I managed to miss.

I think an open-source engine like Ogre 3D or something similar would provide great visuals, while not being too graphically intense for lower spec computers. Just imagine watching your SA-5 rotate and elevate towards it's target, suddenly the support bracket falls away, and a second later the missile jumps off it's rail. You could watch the boosters be ripped from the sides, the missile arc to it's target, and see it explode (hopefully) in proximity to it's target. Of course, you could also see your failed engagements, you could see exactly why you missed. You could see the target start a gentle turn which resulted in your missile bleeding off too much energy. Also, I think most people would simply like to visually see their engagement played out in 3d.

Of course, this could be down the road after the NASA terrain map, Davina, and ZSU. Assuming this is a feature you'd be interested in adding to your sim of course.

Other features I'd like to see would be an improved IADS screen to overcome the current problem of "contact madness". For example, a way to clear/hide targets that have been engaged, and a filter feature to hide friendly/civilian targets. Or going even further, the ability to filter based on the various contact types. For example, I want to see 0, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8, but I don't want to see 1, 7 or 9. Even a simple contact viewer would be sufficient to avoid the problem of overlapping targets which denies you the altitude information needed for I87V, jamming engagements, SA-3 engagements, and general manual target radar searches. Granted, I don't know how these systems really work or what their capabilities are. The way your sim displays the IADS could already be an improvement over the real thing. I remember those pictures of people tracking targets on the IADS board with a grease pencil..

Of course more targets would be great. Such as AWACS and other fancy aircraft like JSTARS, etc. And of course, more jamming! I can't be any more specific there as my knowledge of jamming is limited. But I'd like to see what ever kind of jamming the SA-5 jamming selection switches are used for. Also, perhaps the jamming of the SA-2 system? I remember you describing a switch that shows rather two systems are being jammed, one was the missile guidance channel, and I forget what the other is. Granted, this would only be useful if it effects the Davina, as iirc, you said it doesn't effect the Volhov. And even then, only if there is a way to overcome the system jamming. There'd be little reason to use a system if it's always rendered useless by jamming, lol.

And finally a mission editor would be great to have. The ability to have real world airbase locations, and the ability to either assign aircraft to an airbase, or have a OOB for each airbase based on the year selected in the editor. I can only imagine the massive non-nuclear WW3 air war scenarios that would be created! Along with this would be an AI for the other SAM sites. I'm assuming there currently isn't a friendly SAM AI as I've never seen another SAM intercept a target while playing a scenario.

I'm tempted to say nuclear weapons, however that would probably be a somewhat boring feature. In short scenarios or in training you couldn't miss, and in larger scenarios you'd probably trigger a mutual release of nuclear weapons. And once nukes start flying the quality of the scenario would be massively deteriorated. There are a lot of people out there that love the topic of the cold war gone hot. But if you bring up the topic of nuclear employment the conversation will die off quickly. While some nuclear scenarios could be of interest, such as a US preemptive nuclear armed bomber raid on the soviet union, I just don't see enough of a use for nukes to suggest them.

In any event, I look forward to seeing the sim improved, and I look forward to the many surprises to come!