Originally Posted By: Lonewolf357
This, however, still would made this engagement an extremely difficult: very few of us could made it in SAM simulator successfully right from the first try. Personally, I could only make it after watching the video posted at Hpasp' site, and even after that, only about 1/2 attempts are successful. It appears that Colonel Dani and his men were real top-notch professionals. I imagine which results they could achieve if they had a couple of S-300 regiments!

There were two major factors which allowed the F-117 to be shot down:
1- The modification made to the P-18 radar allowed the SA-3 crew to get an early warning about the incoming F-117 position and estimated course.
2- "LUCK": The SA-3 crew was lucky in that the route from the F-117 that was shot down basically or almost passed directly above that SAM site position. For example if you notice in that F-117 scenario (just like in real life) a first F-117 passes near the player's SAM site (20Km away) but it's impossible to shot it down since it passes 20Km away and the SA-3 SNR/tracking radar isn't capable (or hardly can) of detecting the F-117 at those distances. It's the second F-117 which passes a distances nearer than 15Km from the player SAM site that we have the chance to shoot down. So don't waste time with the first F-117, concentrate on the second one.

I don't think that shooting down that second F-117 is that hard - The hardest part IMO, is being able to find the F-117 in the SNR display panel in the "A" button console because the F-117 is a Stealth aircraft and therefore its target signal/blip is a very small one. But once you manage to find the F-117 in the SNR and lock it than it's easy to shot it down.