Originally Posted By: piston79
Originally Posted By: Hpasp

Currently I'm reading...
-----------------------
And learning this...
[

Strange, it is a command guided system (if I got it right - no proximity fuse), but it has almost twice the range of "Volkhov"...How about the aquracy? But with a half tone warhead... wave

...and with separate radars (antenna sets) for tracking target and missile - the reason not to use narrow beam for guidance in Volkhov... Wonder how they overcame that alignment problem. It seems that they did not fully - check it out:

Nike page

The same webpage - the accuracy:
"in 1975, after the evaluation of the yearly practice shootings at the NAMFI Range, it was found out that the lethal distance of the fragment pattern could only bring down an enemy Airplane up to the distance of 75 Kilometers. Beyond that point the steering error was to high. From that time on it whas only allowed for German BCO´s to open fire below this distance."

Scroll also down to points describing some features of training and exercises - at some points I think that US did not treat SAMs so seriously as Eastern Bloc did...

I like the Hercules' pre-programmed ascent phase adopted to maximize range - I don't know whether Vega's flight model was inspired by that, but knowing the stories of Sidewinder - R-3, Redeye - Striela-2, or Patriot - S-300PMU, one can be suspicious. smile

BTW, brilliant page! If Hpasp only desired to contact that webmaster, we would be sure to have Hercules as the next simulated system! smile

Last edited by vintorez; 03/09/12 12:39 PM.