Originally Posted By: Redcoalition
Originally Posted By: Hpasp
how many targets the Fan Song can acquire at the same time?
Is this information on SAM Simulator manual (i don't remember seing this).

At "Engagement Zone" paragraph...
The S-75M3-OP has one target and three missile channels, meaning that it can track one target, and guide three missiles onto it

Yes, i know. I think we had a misunderstanding, so. I thought that "acquire" meant "follow, see", not "engage".
I thought that track = engage step, and acquire= follow step.

well, reformulating the question ... How many targets Fan Song can follow (see) at the same time?

TY

This question is asking about a 1960s Russian ground radar with terms and concepts derived from operating simulated post-1970s U.S. and NATO air radars that are common in modern combat flight simulations. This is causing a little confusion, since we see very little of Russian systems (the Lock On series being the only exception I'm familiar with) and their concepts and operations are very different than Western practice.

The poster wants to know whether the S-75 systems were capable of modes equivalent to the West's track-while-scan mode, and the answer is "no." Even Russian air radars weren't capable of two-target TWS until the late 1980s. The air-search P-18 we are seeing in SAM Simulator is a generic version, showing a generic range-while-scan of multiple targets and allowing us to pass info to the very detailed fire-control radar. It does not designate specific targets of interest; rather, it gives bearing and height info so we can swing the cab of the fire control radar to the proper location. The fire control set, being analog with Doppler functions, can SEE all, but it can only LOCK and TRACK a single target. It doesn't have a TWS type mode that would enable it to designate multiple targets, maintain altitude and heading information on them, and then vector missiles onto those multiple targets, either. In air parlance, you go from wide-scale RWS directly to STT, similarly to guidance for the Sparrow in games like Lock On: Flaming Cliffs.

Helpful at all? smile

Miao, Cat

Miao, Cat