Originally Posted By: Lonewolf357
I have just managed to get Vega's detonation at 280 meters from the target. It appears that everything is fine with its proximity fuze, just your successful shots passed very close to the target, and your missed ones passed much farther than 300 meters from it. Have you tracked your missed shots by your P-14 radar? They often fly far enough from the target to be noticeable there. Here's my AAR:

Asuluk training ground.

Practice target:
RM-217 Zvezda [program-3] simulating F-117A Stealth

S-200VE Vega-E

00:30, Practice target RM-217 Zvezda [program-3] simulating F-117A Stealth launched

19:11, Missile launched from launcher-2
Target distance: 41km
Target azimuth: 80°
Target elevation: 19°
Target angular speed: 677m/s (2,4 Mach)
Target altitude: 14km
RPC mode: MHI - Narrow Beam
GSN mode: Acquire target before launch
Received signal strength: 25,7dB

19:18, Missile launched from launcher-1
Target distance: 37km
Target azimuth: 82°
Target elevation: 21°
Target angular speed: 624m/s (2,2 Mach)
Target altitude: 14km
RPC mode: MHI - Narrow Beam
GSN mode: Acquire target before launch
Received signal strength: 27,5dB

19:43, Missile exploded
Practice target RM-217 Zvezda [program-3] simulating F-117A Stealth hit by SAM. (miss distance: 280m)

19:48, Missile exploded
Practice target RM-217 Zvezda [program-3] simulating F-117A Stealth killed by SAM. (miss distance: 35m)

Total, SNR On Air Time: 2min 1sec

Very interesting AAR, thanks for sharing it Lonewolf!

This is IMO getting really and even more wierd. Yes, it's noticible that the proximity fuse worked at a distance of 280 meters which concurs with what Hasp said: The Vega has a proximity fuse that detonates at distances up to 300 meters - At least this is a very good news!
But what's still wierd is by reading your AAR that your shoot parameters are not diferent than what I usually do in the shooting range (and I never got any proximity detonation at longer distances, like you did). Also you even use the suposedly "less precise" MHI RPC mode which I also often use but somethings I also use and tested the other suposedly more precise mode (called FKM or something like that - sorry I'm not at home to check the name of this mode wink ) but with the exact same results!

Regarding your question about tracking the missiles using the P-14 radar, NO I admit that I often do not use it to track my missiles (only rarelly I did it) but that's a good sugestion and I will definitly take a better look into the P-14 not only to search for my targets but also to track my missiles.

So and according from what I've experienced coupled with you AAR I still think that maybe there's something wrong here (but I could be wrong thou as I was before) but now I'm convinced that the problem doesn't seem to be related at all to the proximity fuse, like I previously suspected.
I now suspect that there's something wrong with the proper missile behaviour (it's flight path and precision). And here's why I have this oppinion:
1- Aparently there's nothing with the missile's fuse (great news and I'm glad that I was wrong regarding this)
2- But IMO, it's still strange that the SA-5 missile either passes VERY NEAR to the target or VERY FAR from the target (more than 300 meters so that the fuse won't work) and there's no "MIDDLE" distance passes at all! I think that my experiences seems to somehow confirm that the missile either passes VERY NEAR (less than 18 meters) and yours also confirm this (detonation at 35 meters - longer than what I've experienced but still relativelly very close) or that the missile passes VERY FAR from the target since from my experiences I never got a long/longer distance detonation and your experience shows that you distant detonation was in fact VERY FAR - 280 meters which is almost outside the 300 meter fuse range.
3- So if Hasp decides to reduce the 300 meter range fuse, you would basically end up with exactly the same experiences that I get with the SA-5 since the first missile (280 meter) would never detonate and the other is a rather very close detonation/pass (35 meter).

So and resuming, could there be something in the simulator code that either makes the SA-5 missile to either pass VERY NEAR or VERY FAR from the target with absolutelly no "middle term" like for example 100 meters?