Folks,

MG:

I don't keep up with boxing these days. I don't even know why the Brits and Canadians observe Boxing Day. Here is what little I know about the fight tonight.

"The Haymaker" David Haye will defend his WBA crown against, in some people’s opinion, a less than deserving Audley Harrison. Does anyone deserve the beating of his life; I wonder? General belief is that the outcome is a foregone conclusion although they have both been European champions. Oh well, regardless of the outcome for either fighter, it will probably be good for British boxing.

Although Audley may claim this is his destiny, I tossed about a few entrails and sheep bones and if stink means bad then the omens are definately not looking good for him. I don’t think anyone outside of his own team is giving him much of a chance at standing up for very long much less winning. Defeat for Harrison should signal the end of his career so he has quite a lot at stake here. Defeat for Haye would be a catastrophe for boxing as he is seen as the golden boy and saviour of the division.

When he wins...make that should Haye somehow manage to triumph over a lesser opponent then there will be new talk about a showdown with the Klitschko (SP?) brothers whom some say he has churlishly shirked.

That controversy is reminiscent of the Lennox Lewis brouhaha when he ignored Unified champion Evander Holyfield in favor of fighting and defeating the unknown Phil Jackson. Lewis then lost his title in London to McCall. Of course Haye has a bigger mouth if not muscles than the soft spoken Lewis who never called anyone out before ignoring them as far as I know. wink

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019