Folks,

MG:

I can sympathize with you regarding your weather. We have been completely socked in for days.

I am not familiar with the more recent BBC version but Wings (1927), is not only the FIRST winner of the Best Picture Academy Award, it is one of the BEST films to hold that title, and I say that knowing that Casablanca, Gladiator, and other greats all hold the statue too.

It stars Clara Bow, James Arless, and Buddy Rogers. They put in fine performances and a young Gary Cooper makes an early film appearance. I like the film however as WW1 films go, a lesser film "Dawn Patrol" really is my favorite mainly due to the fact that Errol Flynn, David Niven and Basil Rathbone all star in it.

Churchill is one of my heroes so that book certainly sounds interesting to me. Considering the rationing and severe privations of that war, many people may have been forced to eat the cook book itself.... Remember the slogan, "They also served who stayed at home (and cooked)"...

A quick glance at my calendar tells me it is now November. OK, fellows how does it go? Remember, remember the fifth of November? Of course in Dux's case we might forget the dastardly plot and Guy as well for in applying it to our good drinking pal Dux it might go something more like "Remember, Remember the fifth of November, of December, of January, of February, etc. wink

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019