Folks,

As you know I've not been wasting my entire convalescent time just sitting in that cozy hammock. No indeed, I've read several interesting books. “Boyd” was a very good and informative read. There were also several exceeding thick tomes filled with grapical theory and lots of PhotoShop tips and tricks. I gobbled them down like candy.

I have also just finished that relatively new biography of Greg Boyington. This book is titled: “Black Sheep One” and was authored by North Carolinian Bruce Gamble. Bruce lives over in Flat Rock, NC. He's the historian with the silver hair and the jet black eyebrows and mustache you may have seen regularly on the History Channel. I read Greg's own autobiography when it first came out back in the late fifties and several more works about him since that one. To my mind this last one is the best “warts and all” biography so far dealing with the complex Boyington. Obviously the popular Robert Conrad TV show was not meant to be historical or factual....and so it wasn't either one.

Boyington was struggling with alcoholism and could be irascible at times even with young fans. Here is an interesting excerpt that makes us think about the dichotomies of battle and perhaps speaks for most all fighter pilots flying on either side in that bloody war.

One day a good bit after the war was over Boyington was on a book tour and signing autographs. Twelve-year-old John Ford endured a run-in with “Gramps” (he was NOT called “Pappy” by his men). Here is what a grown Ford is quoted to have said in the book about the experience:

“I stood in line with my father and was getting excited. I came up to him and said, "Mr. Boyington, would you please sign my book? And would you please write down your kills?' At which point he put the book down and, put the pen down and looked up at me very indignantly. With lots of venom he said, “It wasn't kills. We were not trying to kill the pilot; we were out to shoot airplanes down. They were victories. We always called them victories; we never called them kills.' He was very huffy about it. And I was shaking in my shoes by the time that I left. It was an experience I will never forget.” A telling example of post-war hair-splitting I think.

Read the book, I think you'll enjoy it.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019