Gents,

Apparently there is a setting somewhere in windows 10 that lets you configure said piece of OS to only update at your discretion; Down the dark alleyway, round the dodgy shop, through the steel gate, into the grounds and down by the pond which is impossibly deep, isolated, freezing cold and very easy to fall into if one is not very, very careful where one treads, that's where the setting should be located, if it hasn't been moved in the meantime, or entirely removed.

PC security is an odd animal these days.

Your OS and various software is collecting all sorts information about you; Windows and Edge wants to know where you go on the internet, which apps you run and sends this and other unspecified information to Redmond. Google will collect similar info about you, including which internet shops you visit and then insert ads for that same piece of equipment that you just looked at over at Amazon or where ever, into your SimHQ mainpage for instance, - did you get ads for USB HD cameras and USB microphones after you'd placed your order, Roger? Or Facebook, if you use that at all. The book of Face builds a profile on you that is so complete that they know when you have tea, coffee and scones, or donuts, for that matter.

The Virus protection (360 Security) or indeed the Opera browser, as you noticed, Fittop, might be Chinese-owned.

Certainly, the ISP that I use, has outsourced all running and maintenance of the network to Huawei.

Legislation and directives from authorities demand that ISP's and service providers like Google, Apple, et al store logs of all internet activity and hand it over when demanded, and same legislators direct PC vendors to provide back-doors into the equipment.

I remember reading some time ago that the Chinese government insist on taking print-boards and various computer components apart, searching for listening devises that have been "baked in" to the component as a preventive security measure. Now that is proper computer security.

Now, in light of all this, when Windows 10 required of me to log in every time the screen-saver had been active, all I could manage was a contemptuous; "security? my ****"

Last edited by McGonigle; 12/07/17 08:07 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop