Gents, I think I have been playing Google Bingo because it seems to me that every search I try to duplicate gives another result and another answer.

You're quite right PV1; it does sound like something is not quite right in the assertion that the younger brother was king, not the older.

Here's what really happend: King Chr. 8 is father to next king; Frederik 7. but he is also uncle to one Louise of Hessen-Kassel.

Louise marries young royal from Glücksburg who by marriage and a change in the order of inheritance later becomes King Chr.9 because Fred. 7 dies heirless.

Roger, Chr. 8 was not keen to sign legislation in 1863 that proclaimed the extension of the Kingdom to include Schleswig, he righfully feared trouble with Otto but it is felt that he wanted to appear to his people to be a Danish patriot rather than a German on the Throne, and he was also under pressure from the national-liberal government and the people rallying, both suggesting that it just might be better to combine the Kingdoms of Norway, Denmark and Sweden in a Union and under Carl 15, then Swedish Soverign.

150 years or so on, and much seems to be the same in the state of human affairs.

No sense in leaving the cosy café's and taking to the streets in protest though; the weather is simply too unpredictable.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop