2nd Lieutenant James Harrison
103rd Aero
La Noblette Airfield
30th March 1918

4 confirmed kills

"Today's sortie Gentlemen is going to be what's fast becoming our 'milk' run. Out to the lines north of Chalons and then along to Verdun" confirmed Major Thaw.

"I'll be leading 'A' flight and Lt Turnure will lead 'B'. As you will have seen, the weather has changed today. Gone are the clear blue skies. It looks grey and very cloudy up there, making it difficult to spot the enemy and easy to get surprised so keep 'em peeled" he continued. "Take off in 20 minutes".

Jimmy, who was in 'B' flight, sat in his machine, the engine purred. He looked across the row of aircraft.

Then they were airborne and climbing. 'Jeez the weather really has changed' thought Jimmy as he was buffeted by the strong winds as he climbed.

With thick clouds prevalent, Jimmy kept an eye above as they made their way towards the lines. Thankfully there was nothing but how easy it would be to be jumped in this, he thought as they started across the lines.

They'd reached 4000 meters when Jimmy, always on the lookout but doubly so today, thought he saw some black dots over to the left. He tried to focus his eyes again. But whisps of cloud made it hard to be sure.

They carried on, then Jimmy saw them again, black dots over to the left, more distinct this time, definitely aircraft. He signalled the others but the formation was heading into thick cloud. This made Jimmy really nervous, if they'd been seen as he'd seen the other aircraft they could be jumped as they came out of the clouds.

Jimmy avoided the cloud, he climbed up and came around to the left. He could see the other aircraft clearly now. He followed them as they made their way across the lines. Then he saw another group to his right, it was 'A' flight. They'd seen them too.

Jimmy watched as 'A' flight closed in. The enemy formation split up and had clearly seen 'A' flight now. Jimmy could now see they were Albatros scouts.

Jimmy singled out one of the enemy aircraft and was about to pounce when something made him check behind. He then saw an enemy aircraft bearing down on him. He throttled up, pushed his nose down and drew the German aircraft back over the lines to the French side.

Jimmy then looped up and over and into the German. The German was good however and avoided the attack. Jimmy tried again and this time scored hits. The German dived and rolled away. Jimmy watched as the Albatros tried to run back to the lines. Jimmy dived onto the Albatros and put a long burst into him. Another followed and the enemy aircraft burst into flames. Jimmy watched as it crashed down into the barbed wire north of Chalons.

Jimmy could see no other aircraft nearby so made his way home. Jimmy was first back but quite soon the others arrived, Jimmy's was the only claim. But all SPADs made it back.

"I saw you fighting with that German Jimmy, good job. As for confirming it, that's upto the French on the ground" confirmed Major Thaw.

Later on Jimmy and Lt Turnure confirmed what had happened. "I signalled sir but as we were entering clouds I don't think anyone saw me. I decided to break to see what those other aircraft were upto" explained Jimmy.

"You're right, I saw nothing Jimmy, so you did the right thing" confirmed Ltn Turnure.

Attached Files 1-1.jpg2-1.jpg3-1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."