Thanks to all for the well wishes on my health. It ain’t what you know but who you know. Got an epidural in my hip Tuesday before last. Felt great. Messed up my shoulder. Well crap. Think I have Covid, double crap. 2 negative tests, relief! Yesterday, one of my partners At the Grenada farm who happens to be an orthopaedic surgeon stopped by the house on his way up there and gave me an evaluation, nothing real serious he says but gives me shot in the shoulder and says don’t lift anything heavy or pull anything for a while. My other mate, a retired Dr., tells me to watch for a UTI, which might have caused the chills and fever. Yep, the real culprit reared it’s head last night. Now on antibiotics for that, I can put weight on my right hip without pain for the 1st time in months and my shoulder feels good. Life is great. If you don’t have real friends, you don’t have diddly!

Oberleutnant Ivan Immer
Jasta 12,
October 21, 1917

Ivan sat in his Albatros as it warmed up. He closed his eyes and listed to the engine. He felt good. Protzer, a new man was to his right. It was to be a Norman line patrol. The adjutant ran to immers machine and pointed up. The black puff told the story. He quickly signaled Protzer to stick with him and hit the throttle. Circling up, he scanned for an ambush but it was not there. They closed on the RE’s over NML. Ivan started firing at the trailing Englishman and was scoring hits when the gunner of the next plane found his mark making Ivan break off. As he pulled up behind the second adversary he could see Protzer hitting the 1st one burst after burst. Ivan opened fire hitter #2 making him turn. Ivan countered to stay out of the gunners field of fire. As he popped up and started firing, so did the English gunner. Ivan was hitting the Englishman but as soon as he did he felt the blow to his leg. Instantly he sheared off and dove. He knew he was hit bad and could feel the blood as it soaked his pants. A bit dizzy, he saw the balloon near Lens and dove for it. He came in fast on a road near the balloon. The balloon crew was already running his way. They were on him as soon as he stopped. “It’s my leg” he said to the burly Sgt. Over him. “”Help him out boys, easy with the legs eh.” Bellowed the burly man. Ivan was rushed to a medical unit nearby. “I must have nine lives” he thought. “And I’ve gone through 4 or 5 of them already”

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!