MFair, nothing to be jealous of when all you get is 5 bullets.
Harry, looking forward to an encounter with a Zep!

6 March, 1916 10:02
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Adjutant Gaston A. Voscadeaux

The ground was covered with snow again, white and pristine. Very thick, dark and ominous clouds hung over them like a curse. The HQ was kind today and sent them on recon mission north of Chalons, which was considered practically “next door”. Adjutant Voscadeaux led his wingman Cpl. Dreux and Sgt. de Geuser. Their charge, a lonely N12 piloted by Cpl. Mondeme was hanging back and below. They were able to punch through the clouds where a beautiful daylight was waiting for them, and two Aviatiks. Gaston gave the order to attack as it looked like the Boche were in the mood to get friendly with their observation machine. As soon as the Aviatik crews realized they were being pursued by three scouts, they turned north and started to gain altitude. The ‘B’ Flight followed and little by little was catching them. Finally Gaston was in range and pumped half a magazine into the lead machine. He was startled when he discovered his two flight members were right on his tail. The bloody fools were attacking the same machine as he was. Voscadeaux quickly disengaged avoiding in time one of the wingmen. He immediately switched to the other Boche knowing well he will not be able to bring it down. There just wasn’t enough ammunition left. He engaged nonetheless hoping for a lucky hit. He fired and fired again with bits of the fuselage falling away from his target. They were getting deeper and deeper into the enemy held territory. He fired his last rounds and watched. The Aviatik kept on going. The prop didn't stop, there was no smoke. Gaston failed. He turned around angry with himself for being such a poor shot. Why couldn't he bring a German machine down with just a handful of bullets? He didn't know where he was. As long as he's pointing south, he knew he will reach the front lines and from there it will be easy. After a while he found the scar of France that was the No Man's Land and from there on the navigation became much easier. He recognized the landmarks and zeroed in on Senard. The two idiots have already landed and were dismounting. Both claimed the other Aviatik. Gaston just had to wait to see which one of them will get more disappointed.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."