28 April, 1916 05:45 morning mission
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Lieutenant Gaston A. Voscadeaux
19 confirmed kills

Yesterday’s flamer was confirmed. Gaston was short one Hun to make it an even twenty. He had to remind himself not to take any unnecessary risks just to make it a nice, round number.
This morning’s mission took the ‘A’ and ‘B’ flights over the enemy front lines, north of Senard where Aisne River crosses the NML. The sortie went smoothly with no enemy contacts. They have lost Garrigou somewhere over the front due to mechanical problems. The ‘A’ flight dropped their bombs on the Hun trenches and they all turned for home for a well deserved breakfast. Gaston was looking forward to a warm cup of coffee and croissants.

28 April, 1916 13:40 afternoon mission
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Lieutenant Gaston A. Voscadeaux
19 confirmed kills

The afternoon briefing called for a patrol over the friendly front lines north of Verdun. The plans had to be quickly put on hold when a trio of Huns showed up over the aerodrome as the ‘B’ flight was taking off. Gaston was first off the line and gave chase immediately. One of the monoplanes separated from the rest and came down to meet Voscadeaux head on. They fought over Senard with the entire aerodrome looking on. The battle was short and the Hun crashed into the field. For the rest of the day everyone had to be extra careful when landing and not get tangled in the wreck. Gaston wasn’t finished yet and gave chase after the remaining two Fokkers. He caught up with the second one east of St. Menehould. That one also crashed into the ground after a short dogfight with the French Ace. The last of the three marauders crashed all on his own into the trees at the northern edge of Argonne Forest. Maybe he was caught by the small arms fire? By this time Adjutant Barnay joined Gaston and proceeded to the patrol area. They’ve completed their patrol route but didn't see any more Boches. It was an exciting end of the day to say the least.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."