7 July, 1916 06:00 morning mission
Cachy, Flanders Sector
Escadrille N37
Capitaine Gaston A. Voscadeaux
47 confirmed kills

The Fokker E.IV shot down over Bertincourt a few days ago has been confirmed.
This morning’s orders were to patrol enemy front lines west of Marchélepot. The ‘A’ flight went scouting ahead and Gaston's flight obediently followed in its wake. It was quiet and the patrol was an enjoyable cross country romp. Gaston was about to give the RTB signal when he noticed three silhouettes floating above the front lines. They went to investigate and found a trio of Fokkers on their way back home. Voscadeaux placed the flight in a gentle dive ahead of the enemy with the intent of cutting them off if they decide to run. They were close now. Gaston was fixated on the pair ahead. "- Wait a minute!" he thought to himself. "- There were three of them. Where is the third one?" He looked behind just in time to see not just that third monoplane, but further three that have just joined the fight. "- Where did these guys come from?!" It was another ambush. When will Gaston finally learn? “- Where there is one Eindecker, there are six more! He banked to meet his foe. The other two long forgotten. Thankfully the Schwarm that has just arrived was being kept busy by his boys. "- Boillot is getting old. He didn't spot these Huns." Gaston had only a second to make this observation before he made contact with his target. Gaston's fire was accurate and the Boche machine soon started to trail smoke and its pilot making large circles in order to put his plane down in a safe place. Gaston wouldn't allow it. He dove straight after his query and opened fire again, but he miscalculated the speed of his target and their wings touched. Gaston was jolted but able to keep Violette under control. His lower port wing was in tatters. "- I haven't done that in a while. I must be getting old." His plane was difficult to steer, but he made one more attempt to bring his opponent down on the French side of the mud. He circled as the Boche made a forced landing among the dirt, tree stumps and shrubs. The Hun was safely down and Gaston gently steered his scout back home. Upon his return he'd learned that de Geuser brought down two Fokkers. Gaston was impressed.

7 July, 1916 14:05 afternoon mission
Cachy, Flanders Sector
Escadrille N37
Capitaine Gaston A. Voscadeaux
47 confirmed kills
Awaiting 1 claim confirmation

Violette was being repaired and Gaston had to use a loaner in the meantime. They were to patrol over Candas airfield. Gaston could see from the air how devastating this offensive has been so far. Great clouds of smoke and dust were rising east of his position obscuring the horizon. They encountered no enemy on their patrol. Maybe that's for the better. Voscadeaux wasn't feeling sure of himself when he was not flying Violette. He would have to fly this loaner one more day, while repairs are ongoing on his machine.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1916-07-07 PM.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."