Guys, this little war is definitely on. I don't remember the Fokker Scourge being this extremely dangerous in previous careers. What gives?
Lou, you need to buy your human shield, um … I mean your observer a drink. He probably saved your life and will lose his arm in the process. I hope it was the left one. Wonder if the saying: "give one's left arm" came from this? Or was it the right one?
MFair, glad those holes are in the leather, not the hide. wink

10 February , 1916 8:00
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Sergent Gaston A. Voscadeaux

The mix of snow and sleet continued, however to a lesser degree. After two days of being grounded Gaston was ready to take to the air in any kind of meteorological conditions. The command was of the same opinion and flights resumed, despite continuing pockets of inclement weather. To be honest, they could thank constant artillery requests for the non-fly orders being revoked. They were in dire need of spotting aircraft back in the skies doing the ranging missions for them.
Voscadeaux’s orders took him and Caporal Papinet NNW of Senard. The snow stopped as soon as they were only a few kilometers away from the aerodrome. It was hard to believe that blue skies and warm sun were only a step away. Gaston enjoyed the sunlit sky and became upset when he realized their flight path would take them back into the clouds and more snow. They made two passes over the target in the frigid conditions aggravated by snowy gusts and turned south as soon as they could. As a consolation they were not harassed by any Fokker attacks. But poor Durand bore the full brunt of the winter’s angry onslaught. His back faced the slipstream throughout the entire trip and the wet snow clung to him making his leather coat stiff. When they landed, the ground crew had to help the half-frozen gunner out of the rear seat. Gaston was unaffected as he hunched down behind the wind screen wiping the snow accumulation off the glass with his glove.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1916-02-10.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."