Wulfe, congratulations on the promotion. Well deserved! Enjoy the time off in the old Blighty.
Hasse, finally out of the apple barge and into an Einsitzer. Look out for those Nieuports ... and Aircos ... and Fees. Just look out.
Carrick, that’s another pretty screenshot. Keep ‘em coming!
Scout, a transfer to No. 29! D.H.2’s! Finally the killing will begin. Yes, Aleck will be expected to kill another man. Congratulations!
Lou, I’m surprised that Swan-eee isn’t coming back from the visit at Georgette’s with a hick-eee. It also appears that Jericho will have to save Randolph's bacon.
Great stories everyone.

22-23 March, 1916
Senard, Verdun Sector
Escadrille N37
Adjutant Gaston A. Voscadeaux
2 confirmed kills

The snow continued to fall during the past two days. No flights were possible during this period, so the pilots decided to paint their insignia on the side of the fuselage to identify each other in the air. There were two types of markings agreed upon. Those pilots of machines with the green camouflage would have the first letter of their surname pained in white inscribed in a white circle. The machines doped in tan would have a red disc painted with the first letter of the surname cut out from it. The aeroplanes of Adjutant Voscadeaux and Cpl. Dreux were tan, so they’ve set to painting red discs on each side of the fuselage. Gaston painted his with a capital ‘V’, while Dreux busied himself painting a ‘D’, all the while keeping his tongue sticking firmly out of his mouth.
“- C’est fini!” Announced Cpl. Dreux, presenting his finished work to Gaston, who himself was nearly done.
“- It is a fine ‘D’ Roland, but there is just one little problem.” Gaston replied wondering how to best break the news to his wingman. “- I believe Lieutenant Dagonet has already claimed the letter ‘D’”.
The paintbrush fell out of Roland Dreux’s paralyzed fingers when he realized his blunder. He stared at the ‘D’ on the red field that he had just painted, shifted his kepi forward to scratch the back of his neck as he pondered what to do next.
“- Don’t you wish we never had surnames?” Asked Gaston, “You would never have this problem in the first place.”
Roland gave Gaston a side glance and quickly placed a kiss on his cheek. “- You’re a genius, Gaston!” Dreux exclaimed jubilantly.
Startled Voscadeaux staggered back while wiping his cheek with the back of his sleeve. “- What’s gotten into you?!” He watched as Cpl. Dreux picked up the paintbrush he dropped earlier and painted out the letter ‘D’, so that only the red disc was visible on the fuselage of his plane.
“- Voila!” Roland was beaming. “Problem solved. I will fly as the nameless one.”
Gaston simply shook his head and patted his friend on the back. With the job done they turned to the mess for a well deserved meal and to share a bottle of red. Today was the lamb stew with rosemary, turnip purée with gravy and steamed vegetables.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1916-03-23.jpg

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."