1 July, 1916 14:10
Cachy, Flanders Sector
Escadrille N37
Capitaine Gaston A. Voscadeaux
44 confirmed kills

Yesterday’s Fokker claim has been denied. Archie batteries claimed it as their own. Gaston wasn't surprised. Different region, same pile of dung.
They would not fly far from their aerodrome on the first mission. Both A and B flights would have to get used to the new surroundings before going over the lines. Therefore, both flights have been assigned a milk run - a patrol over Grivesnes aerodrome, just south of Cachy.
The weather was improving and instead of steel grey skies with heavy dark clouds they were greeted by a blue sky with light clouds. A much needed improvement. Among these clouds they’ve spotted a trio of Fokkers patrolling east of Grivesnes. Gaston was happy. Finally a steady supply of Fokkers for him to play with. He gave signal to attack as the Eindeckers turned to face the Nieuports. Voscadeaux started to chase the leader but left him be when he saw two of his wingmen attacking him as well. He switched to another Fokker and chased him all over the sky until another wingman decided to join him by getting uncomfortably close. Gaston again abandoned his target and noticed in the distance smoke trail behind a cloud. He dove in and followed the wisps of dark fumes. As he punched through to the other side of the cloud he saw an Eindecker in front. He had only seconds to line up a shot. He took it and banked for another pass. He aimed again and as he squeezed the trigger he watched the Boche fuel tank explode midair and come down in flames. Two Nieuports passed him by when this occurred. Voscadeaux was sure they've seen his kill. As he turned around to get back to base he noticed the two French scouts were chasing yet another monoplane. Gaston joined them just as one of Nieuports disengaged. The French Ace fired a few rounds at the already smoking Hun. The last of his wingmen seemed glad Gaston took over and made his way to the nearest aerodrome as well. It was Voscadeaux and the Boche now. The German scout's propeller stopped rotating and the desperate pilot glided in spirals to avoid French fire. Gaston had only fractions of a second to line up his shots before the Boche would bank to avoid him. He was now only meters from the ground. Gaston fired his last salvo and watched heavily smoking Fokker bounce along a forest clearing and came to an abrupt stop against one of the trees. He saw the Hun pilot unstrap himself and jump out of his machine. He then made three huge leaps into the tree cover and that was the last Voscadeaux saw of him. He was glad to be back at the base. He could see now he had his work cut out.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."