Hi Chaps,

carrick58, Great Job on the 2 confirmed Kills ... I love being on the same side as Rupert
HarryH So glad Lazlo stopped watching snowflakes and is back with Jasta 1
Lou Thank you for the feedback you are dead right! As one who likes The Saint you may be interested to know that Sebastian Tombs is an alias he uses from time to time in the novels and George Saunders excellent films from the 1940s
Raine Thank you so much for this campaign and your kind words!
Rick, yes it was!
And ...
Fullofit I've a feeling Mulberry's coming for me! I'm going to learn that upside down trick! I dont want to be Number 50!

The War Diaries of Sebastian von Toombs 26th of January 1917.

Chapter Three

Friday 26th January 1917

19:45hrs Halluin/Rekkem

Slightly shorter report tonight as I have to go and eat, I’m starving. And I need to celebrate!

It has been one busy day! Wearing my new scarf and my freshly oiled seal-skin coat for warmth we set off early for a field defence mission. We flew about 10 km north along the frontline then east to Harlebeke. As we neared Harlebeke we spotted a small number of British Sopwith Strutters over the airfield . Both Kettes engaged in beautiful formation, like something from a text book. I was flying nestled between two of our most experienced pilots, Walter Von Bulow-Bothkamp and Paul Strahle. These two don’t call me ‘Thor’, (which has all become a bit of a joke now), but “Häschen” which means ‘Young Hare’. They’ve been tasked in keeping me safe over the next few days and weeks. And in turn they are teaching me to spot the enemy’s own “Häschen” my job is to go for the inexperienced ‘Young Hares’ and leave the bigger fish for them.

However, things did not go to plan, there were no Tommy young hares, those boys knew what they were doing. We all took some damage, I had a nice few moments glued to one of their tails firing my machine guns and scored some good hits but the Tommy rear gunner was an absolute marksman, of the eight of us who took off that day he brought down three of us, myself - ‘Häschen’ that I am - included. Some quite excellent sharpshooting caused a nasty fuel leak in my freshly repaired Albatros and I was forced to land just north of the town of Kortrijk next to a small road. A truck arrived and repaired my Albatros in just a couple of hours. I was able to fly back and got back to Halluim For about 15.00hrs. None of us who were brought down were injured.

[Linked Image]

I thought I’d go to the mess and find something to eat, I was peckish for sausages, but before I got near the mess Paul Strahle grabbed me by the scarff saying “Young Hare, we are off again on patrol, you'll eat when we get back!’

We were off again by 16:30 for a late afternoon patrol over the lines near Rumbeke airfield. The sky was beautiful that evening and to be honest I felt more Thor than Rabbit and exhilarated in the air, sky and clouds. And well protected between Paul and Walter who have most definitely taken me under their wings. I genuinely felt one with the Albatros, up until now it has seemed as if the Albatros has been controlling me, but in this moment I was controlling it. I was utterly as light as air”.

[Linked Image]

Just south of Rumbeke the Jasta spotted two French Nieuport 17s flying our side of the lines flying between The airfield and the Village of Ledegem. We climbed to intercept and were soon in a spiralling dogfight. They were out numbered, out gunned, out engined and out played. I stuck with Paul Strahle throughout the fight only braking off when I saw one of the french Nieuports on the Walter's tail. I pursued this Nieuport and after a few rounds straight into his cockpit as he was attempting to gain height He span out of control and crashed in a smoking heap just outside of no mans land 2 kilometre west-southwest of Rumbeke airfield and Northwest of the factory at Sint-Eloois-Winkle which we could see in the sunset.

[Linked Image]

I looked for Paul and saw him in a dog fight with another Nieuport 17. I flew towards them and engaged, he knew he was beaten and didn’t put up much of a fight. This French airman was the “Häschen” I had been looking for. I kept on him a while and gave a burst of fire every now and again. He did not want to play, and dived and ran low for home. I gave chase and after a few short burst of the Spandaus he too crashed into no mans land about half a kilometre south of my first kill and about 2 kilometres from the Passchendaele observation balloon. I noticed faintly (the light was getting poor) what looked like a flying stork or something similar on his fuselage. I’ll ask around and find out what Squadron he was from. We flew home without a scratch.

So I’ve made two claims tonight, Paul and Walter saw both clearly and I hope to goodness I might get them confirmed. Well I’m off for sausages and beer! ‘Thor the Hare’ is buying...

[Linked Image]

To be continued ...

Last edited by SebToombs; 01/27/20 08:17 PM.