Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Our ISP has been down most of the day so I grabbed my unopened "Midway" (2019) Blu-ray for us to watch.

Some of the dialog and goings on at Nimitz HQ was really good and accurate, and Harrelson looks a great deal like Nimitz. His portrayal is the best part of the movie.

The flying and combat scenes however are pure Hollywood. All the gunfire explosions etc are dialed up to 11 (or 25). The ridiculous dead stick landing by Dick Best. The slow mo altimeter count down during dive bombing attacks.

I found it odd that the film spends so much time on the Marshall's raid and Doolittle raid but just glossed over the Battle of the Coral Sea. And later at Midway the Japanese strike on the US carriers is covered in about 30 seconds: Nagumo says "We must attack the American carriers!" Next scene, "Yorktown is on fire sir!" And that's it. LOL

Overall I prefer the 1976 version!

I found Ed Skrein as Dick Best to be almost unwatchable, he was over-acting, wooden and cheesy to the point where I almost didn’t finish the movie because of him.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!