RoboCop (2014)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234721/

Quote:
Terrible and Horrible!

A lot of fancy CGI action doesn't make the movie good.

I can tell from the trailer they took away all the elements which made the original such a great film.

They screwed up Total Recall when they rebooted it.

I knew from the moment a Robocop reboot was announced that they were going to screw it up too.

The original Robocop and Robocop 2 were a critical satire on society and the human race.

I don't see anything like that in this trailer.

Furthermore, the relationship between Murphy and Officer Anne Lewis gave it a human touch and in this reboot, they replaced Anne Lewis with a Man.

Anne Lewis is now Jack Lewis.

A man!

Quote:
I dug out my RoboCop blu-ray last night and watched it.

You just can't remake this movie to match the original.

Heck, just looking at the trailer where Murphy is killed by a car bomb instead of being gunned down multiple times in cold blood, that's enough to tell me this remake sucks without even having to see it.

Plus it will be rated PG-13 and the original was rated R.

Just like Total Recall was rated R and the remake was rated PG-13.

You can't remake Paul Verhoeven's R-Rated films to PG-13 content and expect them to have the same intensity and quality and shock value of the original.

What's next?

A PG-13 remake of Basic Instinct and Showgirls?

After watching this last night, everything I said about it above back in September 2013 after seeing the first trailer of it on a movie trailer forum is true.

The original was a dark social satire and critique on the 80's, Reaganomics, Corporate America, Social Classes, Law and Order, Crime and Punishment, the Have and Have Not, Materialistic Excess.

It was what made the original and it's first sequel great.

The RoboCop plot in it was more like a subplot.

This movie had nothing of that.

It's just a CGI ridden movie about a guy who is more machine than man and he can hit every target in a firefight.

The gun fight scenes involving RoboCop are like an Arcade First Person Shooter video game.

If you played any FPS games on a computer, game console or a coin arcade game anytime in the past 20 years, you have already seen the gunfight scenes in this movie.

The writers tried to instill a bit of human touch into the story by creating a subplot between Murphy as Man and Machine and his wife but the character of RoboCop in this remake is so thinly written, you don't really even care that his wife cares about him.

The character of Samuel L. Jackson as a reality talk show a la TMZ and Infowars is unnecessary and just filler to add running time to the movie.

Finally, just as I said above back in September, because this remake is rated PG-13 (you can sell more tickets that way by attracting a larger audience age demographic to the movie theater), the entire graphically violent Murphy's transformation from man to RoboCop that shocked audiences in 1987 is completely gone.

Instead of showing Murphy being ruthlessly gunned down in a bloodily gory scene filled with sarcastic witty commentaries on the part of the criminals shooting him, we get a quick and easy and very sanitary car bomb.

Where's Paul Verhoeven when you needed him for a remake?

Unfortunately, as with all inferior remakes of great past films nowadays, the producers left the ending open for another inferior sequel!

My rating:

1/5

mad

What's in the box? C'mon, what's in the boooox?