Originally Posted By: Mechanus
I watched the Mad Max flick on the strength of the consensus that this is an A + film.

It seems to me to be inserted nowhere really logically in the continuing story- this is a younger, physically more healthy, even sentimental and caring Max. It reminds of Beyond Thunderdome and The Road Warrior combined into the same film, but I don't think it's better than The Road Warrior. It's a bit out there in that the improvised look of the post apocalyptic world is even more far fetched and artistic, it still looks like Cirque du Soleil directed by Michael Bay or somefink.

Overall, it feels like a standalone film. In some respects, it's less depraved and sadistic than Mad Max I and II, the heroes in general are actually quite strong and:

Click to reveal..
There are a lot more guns in this episode- allowing even old women to pick off Immortal Joe's servants, whereas in previous films, you get the sense of how rare and therefore more dangerous firearms can be against crossbows and darts fired by compressed air.

I think it's a bit overrated, it's probably better than most original action films, but at the same time doesn't necessarily top The Road Warrior. It's better than Beyond Thunderdome by far, though.

Seven out of ten skulls.

skullhead skullhead skullhead skullhead skullhead skullhead skullhead / skullhead skullhead skullhead

I've seen the first two Mad Max movies but ignored the third one. Will I need to know anything of the originals or is this stand alone. I'm still not sure I want to see it but it is getting good reviews and has piqued my interest.