Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
Godzilla (2014)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831387/

It started out well in the first act and then it turned into a standard Hollywood disaster movie.

After the first act, you'd think you are watching The Day After Tomorrow or 2012.

Plus the rest of the movie is so disjointed and the main actor just CONVENIENTLY keeps turning up everywhere.

Wow!

I didn't know you can put someone on a chopper and he can go from one side of the world to another side of the world in no time.

Travel time from one place to another is easily 6-12 hours on a 777 or 757 or Airbus and he did it in no time on a chopper.

Then there is the military subplot.

Where's the firepower? Where are the Navy and Air Force and Army of the other countries and even of the U.S.?

One carrier group?

They (the producer and director and screenwriters) also could had amped up the military action but no, we get a few boots on the grounds with useless assault weapons and the occasional Javelin and LAW.

Then the few military fire power machines that occasionally show up are not being put to full use.

At least in the Japanese version of these Godzilla films, the humans in those films brought out everything in their military arsenal.

Finally, for a movie that's supposedly about Godzilla, not only does Godzilla keeps disappearing, the story has bark and grown and no bite.

The entire film felt real lackluster and by the final act, not only do you not care anymore or have lost interest, you will be looking at your watch over and over.

3/5

I expected a lower score from you. IMO, some realities naturally have to be accepted in these kinds of movies so traveling thousands of miles in such a short time doesn't bother me. I chalk those sort of things up to omission, where he could have traveled by plane somewhere along the journey but finished in helicopter.

But the middle third of the movie dragged on so much that I lost interest. The whole nuke on the railroad was superfluous. They laid out the story perfectly with the nuke testing in the beginning but left that hanging to rot in the plot. It was as if the MUTOs were the main characters in a Godzilla movie.

Oh well. I sadly find too many reboots or sequels to be a disappointment.

That said, X-Men was pretty enjoyable. A good mix of action and story development that for a summer flick does not disappoint.