There was no flying on the 2nd of March. The wind shrieked across the fields and rattled the window panes on Cadogan's office. Cadogan West was reading a letter from home. His father was being his usual curmudgeonly self, complaining about Lloyd George, his secretary's scandalous hemline (Cadogan made a mental note to go to his father's office when next on leave) and striking munitions workers. Cadogan West senior ended with a sentence that confused his son.
"I trust that you have dealt with the matter alluded to in my previous letter. Veronica is reckless and must be brought to her senses."

Nothing more; save the usual farewells.
"What matter?" Cadogan thought. "Am I missing a letter? How can I deal with Vonny? I'm in France."
Mystery unresolved, Cadogan carried on with his paperwork.

That afternoon, Major West was summoned to Wing. As the car pulled out onto the lane toward St Omer, West spotted his B flight commander, Captain Le Blanc-Smith walking hand in hand with a pretty girl.
"The first sign of spring," Cadogan grinned at the back of his driver's head.

Lt Colonel Pressler greeted Cadogan, along with two other officers.
"Major West," Pressler introduced them, "this is Major Noel, of 79 squadron, and this is Major Bell of 80. Like 73 squadron, they are just out from England."
After a few opening hellos, Pressler sat them down to business.

"As I am sure you know that the Prime Minister agreed to take over a new stretch of the Front from the French. In the end, with further additions, this turned out to be the area between the Omignon river and the town of Barisis. The 5th army are taking the south of that line. We have sent the 9th Brigade to support them. Your three squadrons have been ordered to join 9th Wing, 9th Brigade. You will all travel to Champien, which is a former French aerodrome, so it should be well provided for, the transfer will take place on the 5th. Plan your transfer but do not inform the men until it is time."

As the officers left the briefing, Pressler took West to one side.
"I've known you a long time, Cadogan."
West looked at his former observer, "Yes sir."
"I've heard that your squadron have painted dogs on their aeroplanes?"
"Yes sir."
"Clean them off would you? It gives the Germans something to identify your squadron with."
"Yes sir. And the squadron stripes sir?"
"Leave them on, Major."

As Cadogan left St Omer, he noticed that many of the mechanics, and some of the courier riders, were women.
"WAACs, sir," his driver pointed out. "With the shortage in fighting men, the W.A.A.C have been replacing men in non-combat jobs. I might be in the trenches yet."
"Not to worry Thompson," Cadogan reassured the man. "The French roads are dangerous enough."

------------------------------------------------

Major Le Blanc-Smith tells us that the squadron badge was intended for all the machines of 73, but was restricted to the CO's camel 'because it identified the squadron to the enemy.' The squadron identifying stripes were aparently not a problem. Cadogan is a little more resistant to army discipline than he probably should be and can be forgetful at times.