The continuing service of Albert "Mushroom" Ward:

29 Jan 1918 @ 10h05 attack on Gonnelieu aerodrome

At briefing we were advised we would have excellent weather for our mission. Wind was 3 kn from the west with clear skies and no haze.

I lead “B” flight composed of Dunstan on wing and Jarvis. We carried 4 25lb bombs on each of our aircraft for the mission. “A” flight was to provide top cover and was composed of Bowman, Durrant, Junor, Irwin and Walkerdine.
We followed the usual procedure and formed up north of the field attaining an altitude of 5100 ft. We then set course for Courcelette. “A” flight seemed to be dragging its heels and when we arrived at Courcelette, I elected to circle and wait for “A” flight to catch up. Once they arrived we continued on our course directly for Gonnelieu. The flight was quiet with no flak as we crossed the lines, nor was there any greeting as we approached Gonnelieu. Dunstan, Jarvis and I loosed our bombs on the airfield was considerable success and only then did the flak begin. It was at this time I noted 7 Pfalz DIIIa’s of Jasta 22 coming into range and I suspected we would have a melee. I turned to engage one that appeared on my six and only then discovered that they seemed to be entering a landing pattern. I swung onto the tail of that Pfalz and gave him a long burst causing him to smoke heavily and swing into a dive. I did not wait to see if he crashed. I turned away to join the rest of my flight above me. While searching for “A” flight’s whereabouts, I spotted 5 more scouts well above in a delta formation. The odds were getting rather heavy against us and I hoped that the Pfalz were too low on fuel to engage because they did not break from their landing pattern. The other 5 specs turned out to be Albatros DV types and they seemed intent on watching us. I pressed hard to join “A” flight and not become a straggler. I almost obtained my objective when I noticed one of the DV’s break away and come down on my six. I had no alternative but to turn into him. We danced for awhile and I was lucky to find that his mates did not come down to play. My luck was holding out. He handled his craft well but ultimately gave me a chance burst into him when he changed direction in a pass and launched himself across my path. It seemed enough to discourage him and he broke for Gonnelieu. I let him go and continued to head west and crossed our lines. I thought it best to not press my luck. Once there I waited for Dunstan and Jarvis who did not show, but “A” flight did and we returned to base together. Dunstan and Jarvis showed up later after we had landed.
I asked if either of them had seen whether my Pfalz had crashed but they were unable to confirm it so I didn’t put a claim in. The RO declared the mission a success as reports came in of the damage to Gonnelieu. I went back to my quarters and entered a note in my log. “300+ hours” as of today. It seemed incredible. I didn’t dwell on it. It would not be good karma to do so.

YouTube Video:

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4