Sgt Coverdale is beginning to find his feet. Just wish he had something a little more robust than a DH2!

Diary entry

Vert Galant, 28 Sept 1916 -- Fine morning. Cloudy later.

Still no confirmation of the Halberstadt I bagged yesterday. After our aborted attack on the rail yard near Bapaume, we were sent back to the bloody place again today. Up at 3:30 this morning and take-off at 5:40. Again we tangled with a flight of Halberstadts, but there were no losses on either side this time. A flight hit the rail yard while we entertained the Fritzies. That should stop the map-wallahs at headquarters from sending us back, I hope.

Mid-day flight saw five of us led by Lieut Bonnell. Got two of the buggers -- a Fokker and a Halberstadt. I headed home after downing the Fokker, but saw the Halb chasing Lieut Bonnell so turned back. He fairly threw his plane around the sky but I hit him hard in the end. The entire plane erupted in a ball of flame. Really quite terrible. At least he was low down and didn't burn long.

The Adj just popped in to tell me my two Huns are confirmed already, plus the Halberstadt from yesterday! I am over the moon.

Sgt Jones has laid his hands on a couple of bottles of cognac, and we're getting the mess steward to do up Ian's rabbits tonight. The lads plan to drink to my two Huns. Can hear them warming up in the mess across the way.

Oh! The bells of hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling
For you but not for me...

A wonderful drunken party awaits. Still no news of Tom and no letters from home.