The continuing service of Albert "Mushroom" Ward:

5 Feb 1917 @ 09h56 Patrol enemy front lines North of Loos

I lead the flight with Malone and Fall accompanying. “A” flight sent Beamish as top cover. We had winds at 8 kn from the SSW with heavy cumulous between 8000 and 13000 ft. We climbed out circling to 8300 ft just north of Vert Galand and then headed ENE towards Loos. The flight was quiet but we were kept busy watching for Huns in the clouds. As we approached the lines we did a circuit and then headed back towards our side when 5 specks appeared in the east approaching us but about 1000 feet below. They spotted us and bagan their climb to engage. I kept the boys high and we also climbed. They were Halberstadts and my intention was not to engage but stay up and look for a chance to get away since Malone and Fall were relative rookies. Unfortunately Malone decided he wanted to play and dove in on one and this was all the encouragement Fall needed so he did the same. Damn, the game was on and I was not happy with it. We danced with the Halbs and two of them double teamed me. During the melee I saw albatross come down from above and pass in front of me. A quick check indicated 5 of them had joined the game. It was now 10 to 3 against us. I took some hits from one of the Halbs while jostling to stay clear and got hit again not to long later. I was now being pursued bys two Halbs and two Albs. I threw my put into a spin jigging and jogging to avoid any more fire and managed to shake the Halbs but the two Albs were insistent on following me. I managed to get a break when one passed in front of me and I jumped on his tail giving him several volleys which sent him packing and now I had to deal with his squad mate who wouldn’t give up. I managed to get on his tail and give him some of the same medicine and he broke to run. My adrenalin was now up and I was determined to take him down. I kept plunking at him as he pulled away, each time forcing him to turn but after two sessions like this I saw 5 specs on the horizon coming my way and they were gaining. Not wanting to chance that they were Huns I turned and ran, landing safely on a road on our side of the lines. All I could think of was what had happened to Malone and Fall. Beamish of “A” flight never made it to the lines as I saw him turn back so I knew he was safe. One of our arty batteries saw me come down and sent two of their gunners over to check on me. They offered me a cigarette and helped me back to their gun implacement. The sergeant in charge phone my predicament in to Vert Galand and then he called up to have me driven back to base. When I got there Malone and Fall had already landed without a touch and Malone had a claim in for one of the Halbs. I felt such relief that I left the matter unaddressed but in my mind I had made a decision to speak with both of them about waiting for my signal to attack. They were very fortunate to have got out alive not to mention my miracle salvation. It seems that I had drawn off most of the attackers and they both had found themselves alone and decided to go back to base.

YouTube Video:

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4