Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Raine, another wonderful story Sir. From everything I've read on the man I'd say you have 'the ace with one eye' down to a tee. And Elinor Glyn - aaah, Mrs. Glyn. BTW, which P.G. Wodehouse book is Sutton currently enjoying? Uneasy Money? Piccadilly Jim? Not that it matters much as all his writings are outstanding - not unlike yours.
smile2

Lou,

First of all, let me thank the fates for sparing Artemus and then thank you for the comments. I lost my "B" pilot to a direct flak hit and know how much of a shock it can be. But your Artemus situation exceeds that shock by a great degree. I've never seen such accuracy.

The Wodehouse book I had in mind is "The Man With Two Left Feet, and Other Stories." It was published in the UK in the spring of 1917 so I thought it would be a likely one to have been left around the mess.

The Elinor Glyn story is a lot of fun. I think it will be fun watching her make Sutton her pet project -- a Pygmalion in reverse, with Mick Mannock (and his noted hatred for all things society) as the perfect foil.

It was surprising to learn that Glyn was born in the Channel Islands but raised in Guelph, Ontario, where she was brought up to think of herself as one of the British aristocracy. She went to England and married money(although Mr. Glyn was a wastrel) and had some well-placed affairs. She was wonderfully independent, living from her income as a writer and a war correspondent. Elinor was quite the dame -- ended up writing scripts and producing film in Hollywood, defined Clara Bow as the "it" girl, and defined "it."

Don't know where the story will go yet. I just hope Sutton can keep his Nieuport in one piece long enough to find out.