Keen not to waste my scant supply of cannon ammo, I get closer and try a deflection shot - just a short burst, more to find the range than anything. With the possible exception of the Spitfire pilot, nobody is more surprised than I, when my target levels out and a parachute suddenly pops open. I narrowly avoid running into it.

[Linked Image]

Not quite believing my luck, I watch the Spitfire warily. But he's definitely going down, albeit his wings are still level.

[Linked Image]

Looking around, my tail is clear but I can see two air fights going on, each between a pair of aircraft. One or both could be a friend in need of help, although nobody's calling for assistance just at the minute.

[Linked Image]

I head for the nearest pair to find it's a Spitfire pursued by a 109. Instinctively I cut across the Tommy's turn.

[Linked Image]

Tracers flash past as my comrade opens fire...

[Linked Image]

...and a second Spitfire pilot takes to the silk. This is going much better than last time!

[Linked Image]

The radio chatter seems to have dried up, as has the supply of Spitfires. There's a stream of fighters out to my right...

[Linked Image]

...but they're all 109s, and they're soon slipping back into formation behind me.

[Linked Image]

A check of my instruments show's all's well and I've still got plenty of fuel...

[Linked Image]

...so I resume the patrol, having plenty of ammo left, too. At one point, our route takes us over the enemy shipping, although there's no sign of the raid that we were supposed to cover.

[Linked Image]

Patrol complete and honour satisfied, I lead the boys back to base. Our assigned route cuts across Kent and as we pass Manston, I notice the speck of an aircraft at the end of a runway.

[Linked Image]

Soon after there's more specks, aircraft on final approach by the look of it. I'm tempted to go down there and shoot them up. But it's a long way down and the aircraft will all be on the ground by the time I get there. Aerodrome strafing is not something in the mood for, today; I'm inclined to rest on my laurels rather than have them shot off by flak.

[Linked Image]

Sure enough, the aircraft were Spitfires, landing.

[Linked Image]

So home I go...

[Linked Image]

...and am glad to see the French coast ahead. At such times, even Audembert's ghastly tree-ringed airfield is a welcome sight. Back at base I find we had no losses, but are claiming two Tommies including my own. Not a bad morning's work.

I nearly forgot to mention - while I was away, two victories were confirmed, and I was awarded an EK1 - icing on the cake, really!

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Shot03-01-20-22-23-45.jpgShot03-01-20-22-24-27.jpgShot03-01-20-22-24-46.jpgShot03-01-20-22-25-26.jpgShot03-01-20-22-26-01.jpgShot03-01-20-22-26-11.jpgShot03-01-20-22-27-03.jpgShot03-01-20-22-28-49.jpgShot03-01-20-22-29-06.jpgShot03-01-20-22-35-22.jpgShot03-01-20-22-38-06.jpgShot03-01-20-22-40-02.jpgShot03-01-20-22-39-14.jpgShot03-01-20-22-40-46.jpgjg 26 EK1 19 July.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 03/02/20 08:34 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)