Nigel Neville
56th Squadron
North Weald
1st Mission July 10

I got a scramble before I had really settled into the squadron! We broke free of the mists and rains at 12,000 feet and climbed to 15,000 headed SE out over where the Thames meets the sea. For a London boy like me, the sky is a pretty big place! Eventually the RDF got us to the right place, and Leader called out for the bandits, which I couldn't see, but everybody broke up. I stayed with my wingman, as I was instructed to do, but eventually we were attacked by 110's, the ones with the two engines! Colton, my wingman, collided with one and I almost did the same! The tailgunner took out my engine and despite my best efforts, I couldn't get it started again! I managed to get my gear down and land along a road, but as I did so, and to my horror, Kenny Gunn's Hurricane came smashing down into the ground with a tremendous explosion! So despite our flights having shot down several of theirs, it was still a dark day for the squadron!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...