Nice reports DC and Ace!

Pilot Officer Mark Fairbanks,
August 24, 1940

One coastal patrol today. A and B flights. Heavy cloud cover. Saw a few 110's but they high tailed it back over the Channel.

[Linked Image]

August 26,
Back up again with A and B flights. At 13,000' near Ford airfield we ran smack into a gaggle of 110's! I pulled up and rolled over behind one chasing a member of "A" flight. He pulled up and I hit him square with a long burst. The 110 nosed over and I observed 2 chutes exit the doomed machine

[Linked Image]

I started circling with radio chatter buzzing in my ears. I could not see anyone around and then noticed flak low near Ford airfield. I nosed down in a screaming dive and saw another 110 at low altitude heading home. I came in behind him and gave him two long bursts. Pieces flew off the 110 as I pulled up over him in a steep climb. I spotted him to the west climbing and gave chase. Before I could get back on him two chutes appeared and the 110 rolled over and went down.

Not seeing any other activity I heard Harris say he was headed home so I did the same. Everyone came in safe. Winfrey and Ross both claimed one and I put my claim in for two. It has been a good day.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!