Nigel Neville
56th Squadron
North Weald
August 22
16 confirmed
Tumani Flying Hours!

Scramble as ze Germans are trying to destroy our Coastal Batteries and probably still will for another two days or so, I would guess... I got in with a bomber formation and started plugging away, getting and taking hits. I got a little too close and almost collided with the chap! As I pulled up, he went down leaking oil and petrol. As he was falling away, I followed him with my eyes only to see Bill Alwin from "A" flight tumbling down to shoot at the obviously doomed craft, trying to steal another kill! What a Berk! Shrugging that off, I headed off to attack the main formation and started in on another a/c, as did a bunch of my squad. He went down promptly, but not before holing all of us pretty severely! After a few minutes, my engine started to sputter and eventually seized, forcing me to put down at a nearby field. My accountant rang up and advised me to invest in Rolls-Royce. Anyway, when I got back to base, I put in for a half credit on both a/c and ended up getting all of the first one and none of the second one. So take that, Bill!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...