Originally Posted By: radicaldude1234
I think military simulations should be as realistic as possible. Not just the gore and agony of those taking part, but also the collateral damage inevitably inflicted on civilians and the refugees that war causes.

Military games tend to focus on the glory of war that is distilled into a simplistic good vs evil conflict, and almost totally ignore the horrors. I know seeing bodies realistically torn apart by modern weaponry, experiencing inadvertently dropping a bomb on the wrong house, and passing columns of physically young men whose exhausted eyes look as if they've already died inside won't sell games. But it's part of the terribly terribly sad thing that is war.

I also don't think that striving to depict the true nature of human conflict diminishes the courageous deeds of those survived them. Rather, it highlights the difficulty and truly extraordinary will that it took overcome those difficulties and do something more than survive.

But that's just me.

It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. - Robert E. Lee

You're right, no one would buy it, because we want simple entertainment and not a sob story documentary about humans and why all war is bad bad bad.

In my opinion those that would enjoy the above may have mental health issues beyond wanting to play games. All of that can be learned and understood easily without games, and I would argue that the above actually runs a damn good chance of glorifying horror more than anything else.

Basically this seems like a case of looking too far into something that's very shallow. Sims are the evolution of running around in your backyard like a fool making airplane noises. If one is mentally sane neither should cause any urges to go shoot someone. Additionally, there's a time and a place for learning why war sucks, and it's not entertaining and honestly when people sit down to dink around with friends they don't care about any of the above for good reason.

Really what I'm trying to say in a nutshell is what I said before. The parent needs to get the panties unbunched from the butt and actually raise their kids instead of blindly letting some sims (which are all evil because they involve war and war is bad m'kay) somehow raise them.

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?