How old is the kid?
As I think everyone agrees, it's the parents' right, but also age can be a factor. Waiting until the kid is older and learns the difference between real and tv/movies/games and can be talked to and understand that games have little to do with how things are in real life is a very good idea. IMO that means early teens, maybe 12, but different kids mature at different rates, so earlier or later might be better for some.

I've kind of seen the opposite effect. From time to time I talk to my kids about joining the military when older. My son has an image of everyone going out to get shot because of the games. I'm trying to teach him that everyone is trained with a gun and basic training, but it takes 1000's of people behind the scenes to make the military work, not just infantry. Not everyone is up front with a gun as a Marine or in the Army. I want them to use the opportunity for some technical education, learn a skill, see the world or at least the US some. Not to mention the discipline I know my son in particular would benefit from. Having seen some ships and planes, I thought Navy or Air Force would suit them. That's probably me projecting my interest on them though. They're still young of course, but my son needs to be making plans for after high school.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor