Originally Posted By: Pielstick
Originally Posted By: Kontakt5
The intro to Warhammer Dawn of War sort of glorifies war

Interesting that you should use this to illustrate the point. Are you at all familiar with the WH40K setting and fiction? Basically Space Marines are humans removed from society around the age of puberty, brainwashed and indoctrinated into a cult and turned into utterly merciless killing machines who spend the rest of their days serving the Imperium of Mankind, which is basically the most cruel, murderous and ruthless regime you could possibly imagine.

The setting is extremely grim and does not glorify war at all.

No, I have no experience with it other than the computer game.

All war in reality is grim, glorifying what is grim about war is what we're talking about.

The setting being grim isn't what I'm talking about- I'm talking about the presentation of the intro screen. When the space marines are charging the hill, the rousing music is playing, every last one of them are wiped out, but the flag is planted against the backdrop of the setting sun and elicits the feel of that heroic effort- yeah, I'd say that scene glorifies combat a bit.

Keep in mind I also said this is a fantasy setting and that the actual gameplay itself doesn't look like this (I think the actual meat of the computer game is cartoonish and doesn't really look grim or glorious).

No one gets out of here alive.