Yeah, they were great fun, but such an improvement over the kit mouldings.

Here's some pictures of them being fitted and finished.

I've gone ahead and fitted the louvres as the orange paint depends on lots and lots of coats to cover the white primer. It's very difficult to touch up, with a bristle or airbrush, so the had to go in before the first coats of paint. I used a method I've used to make other PE parts almost self adhesive. This is double sided tape, which I cut out in the hole the PE parts fit in, leaving a strip around the four sides. This means you can twaek the positioning a little, as the tape is a little stratchy. Once it's in place I trimmed around the outside with a brand new scalpel and cleared the excess away. It didn't quite stick in all places due to the PE not exactly maching the contours, but I ran some Roket Hot super glue under and held it down until fixed. 

[Linked Image]

I forgot to take any pics of the rest of the process, but this is how they look under the first coats of paint and and Zero Paints Clear Coat (fantastic stuff, if a little 'hot'!) 

[Linked Image]

You can get a really good shine wiith the lacquer. This is the finished engine cover outside in the sun to try and capture the shine. There's three coats of lacquer, each one cut back with Turtle Wax scratch remover before the next was applied. Then it was polished with a resin 'wax' I use on my real car. There's replacement Gurney flap in the rear too.

[Linked Image]

I've also got the decal made for the inside of the open door. I've made this on a plotter cutter, cutting self adhesive vinyl to test and tweak the drawing, before the actual decal itself. It fits perfectly on the inside of the window. The carbon pattern isn't quite right so I might make the decal again in another pattern.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking in again, more soon I hope!

cheers
Gareth

UNDERSTEER - is when you hit the wall with the front wing.
OVERSTEER - is when you hit the wall with the back wing.
HORSEPOWER - is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE - is how far you can take the wall with you.

Read my scale modelling blog at www.latibuliser.com or mfhmazda787.com