Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#950467 - 11/09/02 10:56 PM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
No105_Ogdens Offline
Hotshot
No105_Ogdens  Offline
Hotshot

Shipdham, Norfolk 1944
RS Colonel, I don't usually have a beef with you as a rule and because I don't yet have the game..just as you don't but now your comments are going after the people who decide which product to buy and that's out of order. Do as I do, stick to questions rather than personal shit stirring until you own it.

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#950468 - 11/09/02 11:21 PM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
Caretaker Offline
Caretaker  Offline

Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruzbasan:
I admit that IL-2's damage effects and mission recorder are incredible. But you have to admit that:

NO DYNAMIC CAMPAIGN=BORING

Now if IL-2 got a real dynamic campaign like CFS3 or Falcon 4, it would be the greatest sim ever created.

I do not admit that at all, in fact I totally disagree with that. With all the weaknesses of Il2's simple campaign system, it still gives me much more enjoyment than that of CFS3. I found that dynamic campaign system another boring disappointment, like many before. Just my personal view, but hey that happens to be important to me

A good dynamic campaign system is definitely something I wish for my sims. It's just that the current CFS3 system fails to impress me. And I simply find good static campaigns still superior to bad dynamic campaigns.

- Caretaker

#950469 - 11/09/02 11:28 PM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
vonManstein Offline
vonManstein  Offline

Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:
IL-2 is the better flightsim [snip]

CFS3 is the better flightgame [snip]
That about sums it up.

They're both games.

#950470 - 11/09/02 11:54 PM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by vonManstein:
They're both games.

That about sums it up....

#950471 - 11/09/02 11:56 PM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by lanemastodon:
Yes, I knew you all were asking for this subject. Some of the ones comes to my mind:

1) Better sun an sunglare effect
2) More gauges in the cabins
3) Better sound
4) Smooth landscapes
5) Almost no stutter
6) Better AI
7) More planes
8) Patches support
9) Better snow landscape
8) Beaches (with waves moving on and off)
9) Realistic gun effects
10) Serious radio chatter
11) Possibility of playing as wingman
12) Realistic POV
13) No stupid planes (Ascender?, what's the...?)
14) ... fill it yourself...

14) A whole community full of self righteous, self proclaimed aerodynamics engineers who believe every word spoken by the Sun God.

(Ooops did I say that out loud)

[This message has been edited by RC79 (edited 11-09-2002).]

#950472 - 11/10/02 12:01 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
RSColonel_131st Online biggrin
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Online Biggrin
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Sorry Odgens, I didn't mean this in a deterogative way at all.

Fact is, that at least until 1% team and co do their magic, CFS3 does focus more on the "fun" especially for offline play, and IL-2 focuses more on the "sim", which is not necessarily always fun to everyone.

Yeah, both are games, but they try to do different things.

#950473 - 11/10/02 12:12 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
Caretaker Offline
Caretaker  Offline

Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by RC79:
14) A whole community full of self righteous, self proclaimed aerodynamics engineers who believe every word spoken by the Sun God.

You know, this gets tiresome as well. From what I've experienced with the CFS community so far, it's got its own share of intolerant people trying to put down every bit of criticism with their own mantras to repeat all day. Which still wouldn't lead me to call the whole community full of them.

- Caretaker

#950474 - 11/10/02 12:24 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
Lifer
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Quote:
Originally posted by RC79:

Well, what did you expect? We got burned by CFS2...B-17II...BoB...by developers who hyped us to death, and then delivered one or the other part missing, incomplete, and had almost to be sued before they could be bothered to deliver a patch. That started to look like the norm at the beginning of the new millenium. People were already claiming that flightsims were dying out.

Then, along came someone totally unknown, from a small software company in russia, who was upright from the start. Who told us when features had to be cutted, and never once lied to us about what he would deliver.

He delivered the most accurate WW2 Flightsim ever created, with features according to the user's wishes, who had a chance to actively steer the course of IL-2 development. The way the padlock in IL-2 works, for example, is the way people asked for it to work like that, on ten, twenty different message boards all across the internet.

The same guy then kept talking to the community, delivered patches and addons he saw as needed and nice...again incorporating features requested by the users. And he still didn't tell us a single lie or "marketing line" that hasn't been fullfilled.

Oleg isn't God...but he's a damn lot better than any flightsim developer I have seen between 1998 and 2002, after the old legends went elsewhere.

Dont be surprised if he has a loyal following...he did everthing to deserve that.

And THAT is something I have yet to see from the developers at M$.

[This message has been edited by RSColonel_131st (edited 11-09-2002).]

#950475 - 11/10/02 05:37 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

LMAO...
Well the guy asked so I answered honestly.
I consider my self part of the IL2 community, how does that grab ya?...

I own IL2 and consider it the second best game I have at the moment, and the best isn't a flight sim...

[This message has been edited by RC79 (edited 11-09-2002).]

#950476 - 11/10/02 05:46 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
vonManstein Offline
vonManstein  Offline

Portugal
Yeah, it's a shame people take these games so seriously.

From his reply you'd think you insulted his mother

PS. I also have Il-2, purchased the second day it was released...

#950477 - 11/10/02 07:56 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
Quote:

INSERT: PEANUTS CARTOON ADULT SPEAK (WAH WAH WAH WAH)

Yawn... saying "IL-2" in the same breath as "CFS3" should be illegal and punishable by death.

CFS3 is not even in the same galaxy as IL-2.

IL-2 = GOD
CFS3 = pebble on the side of a barely traveled road

Simple... so now we can stop arguing about it.

RB

#950478 - 11/10/02 06:48 PM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Oh, I like going down seldom traveled roads, it's called a unique experience.

[This message has been edited by bisher (edited 11-10-2002).]

#950479 - 11/10/02 09:21 PM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
Wolfar Offline
Wolfar  Offline

Buckeye, AZ
Do not worry guys. The Moders will have this thing ship shape in no time. I flew IL2 several times yesterday and the cockpits while good the ground and experiance left me cold after flying CFS3.

CFS3 has a MUCH better in game experiance. FM's are coming thus listen to the IL2 crowd moon a loud cry trying to protect thier game because even they know it is only a matter of time.

I re-loaded MS Train Sim and went to see what was up and the Add-on's now BOGGLE the mind there are so many. Just you wait!

------------------
Salute!
Wolfar KG30 CO
http://wolfar.tripod.com/KG30Index.htm

Salute!
Wolfar

20 Year US Navy Retired

Former Squadron CO and founder:
1997~2003
JG2, JG26, Strike Masters
Simulations: Red Baron mega multiplayer, EAW, SDOE, To many to list.
#950480 - 11/10/02 10:12 PM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:
The same guy then kept talking to the community, delivered patches and addons he saw as needed and nice...again incorporating features requested by the users. And he still didn't tell us a single lie or "marketing line" that hasn't been fullfilled.

This is one thing I cannot stand about the MS sim dev team. They do not talk to the community except through multiple layers of security. There is no feedback. No MS dev ever posts messages in this forum.

Where the hell are these guys ? It's this lack of community interaction that has left us with the current CFS legacy - no input, no output, no patches, nowhere.

Very sad.

#950481 - 11/10/02 10:44 PM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
Lifer
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfar:
Do not worry guys. The Moders will have this thing ship shape in no time. I flew IL2 several times yesterday and the cockpits while good the ground and experiance left me cold after flying CFS3.

CFS3 has a MUCH better in game experiance. FM's are coming thus listen to the IL2 crowd moon a loud cry trying to protect thier game because even they know it is only a matter of time.

Lol. I sure want to know how the moders will fix basic things in the game engine.
IL-2 doesn't need any protection...before M$ doesn't deliver two or three patches CFS3 will never be in the same market niche as IL-2.

#950482 - 11/11/02 12:54 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

All it is is racial self rightousness. If il2 had been developed by a american company and focused on american planes there would be no one here discussing this cr*p arcade game called cfs3.

I quite glad though cfs3 was made because it does a damn site better job of seperating the men from the boys than any on the box ratings.

Let the babies have there bottle guys and leave them to it.

ps: i got my money back so im happy.

#950483 - 11/11/02 12:59 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfar:

From what I have read Wolfar the SDK for CFS3 will not be available until spring 2003, so the real mods such as new AC and terrain updates witll be a long time coming.

I like CFS3 and I look forward to seeing what it turns into after the patches (if any) and the moders get working on it but there is no doubt that it needs a patch or two and awfull lot of work to make it blossom into a great sim.

I am also very shocked that you seem to be hoping that IL2 and therefore 1C Maddox games fails completely, luckily this is not going to happen and I hope that Maddox games keeps releasing sims for many many years. Surely you would like to see 1C Maddox games release a Western front WWII sim with the attention to detail that IL2 and the upcoming Forgotten Battles has, I don't recall reading about any other developers focusing on WWII era flight-sims do you? Or would you rather they went out of business completely thus leaving Microsoft with with a monopoly on fligh-sims.

#950484 - 11/11/02 01:03 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
I'm having a hard time playing CFS3 now. It hurts my eyes. Literally.

I think it's the blurry ground textures, but it could also be the frame rates jumping from 39 fps to 15 and back up to 25 in the course of a few seconds. It's probably also the jumpy, flickering graphics.

I've tried every 'fix' I've seen on this board, from where to adjust the sliders to downloading utilities to installing latest Nvidia drivers. I think I've only made the performance worse.

There are details about the game I really like, and in general the historical theme interests me. I'll overlook a lot of the bugs and quirks for good gameplay (like, for instance, how come those Ju88s are able to outmanouever my P-51B?) but my head and eyeballs are really hurting ...

I've started up IL-2 a few times this weekend also. Up until now, IL-2 has just sat idle on my harddrive ... but you know what? I rediscovered that it is a very exciting flying simulation. More importantly, it runs very smoothly on my computer. I was having a good time AVOIDING combat in IL-2 ... I was just zooming along following rivers and checking out cities while piloting various hot little fighters.

I flew a rain-and-lightning mission in CFS3 yesterday, and I thought, "Hmmm ... pretty good weather effects." Then I flew a thunderstorm in IL-2 for the first time, and it totally amazed me -- 'hair standing on end' blew me away!!! Lightning flashes were lighting up the interior of the cockpit in different ways, rain was streaking up the windscreen causing zero visibility ...

In CFS3 you look outside your cockpit glass and think, "that sun looks very sun-like. What a nice picture of a sun." In IL-2, the sun momentarily blinds you, just like in real life when you're driving your car.

In CFS3 you can choose how close or far you want to be from the gunsight. In IL-2 you only have three preset distances -- but -- the gunsight is so much more realistic that you can toggle on/off a reticle dimmer in the Luftwaffe planes. And, if you have 'head-shake' turned on, it simulates your body being moved by g-forces and inertia; the crosshairs in the reflector gunsights move with your head position.

There are things I like about CFS3, but I have to admit that if I compare the two games without bias, IL-2 is the far better flying simulation.

Remove before flight
#950485 - 11/11/02 01:06 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
cenkog Offline
cenkog  Offline

Istanbul / Turkey
If you are a kid ,yes you are right ! : They are both only flight games but if you are a serious flight simmer : They are totally different things to fly & play ...
Quote:
Originally posted by vonManstein:
They're both games.

Over 1000 postings in simhq.com !
#950486 - 11/11/02 02:34 AM Re: List what features IL-2 has that CFS3 does not  
vonManstein Offline
vonManstein  Offline

Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by cenkog:
If you are a kid ,yes you are right ! : They are both only flight games but if you are a serious flight simmer : They are totally different things to fly & play ...

Heh, no, I'm not a kid.

And they are still both games, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

Just consider that some games are more than the sum of their parts.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Movie Box Office visits?
by PanzerMeyer. 05/21/24 05:42 PM
The Old Pilot
by KRT_Bong. 05/21/24 12:30 PM
Il Plastico
by wormfood. 05/20/24 11:22 PM
WWII Photos Realistically Colorized
by F4UDash4. 05/20/24 09:04 PM
How many words/sentence should a speech be?
by NoFlyBoy. 05/20/24 10:54 AM
Harrier Pilot "Sharkey" Ward was 80
by F4UDash4. 05/19/24 11:01 PM
Autographs
by F4UDash4. 05/18/24 06:34 PM
Boxing fans
by RossUK. 05/18/24 03:11 PM
Bud Anderson was 102
by F4UDash4. 05/18/24 01:14 PM
The guy in War Games passes at 92
by NoFlyBoy. 05/18/24 02:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.