Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4646945 - 05/21/24 12:40 PM One small step for man  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I noticed Odyssey was marked down 25% on Steam and thought what the hell. I never wanted this in Elite, but now we have it so why not see what it is all about. Looking at the squadron roster it appears that no one has played it, or at least the foot combat side of it. There is also the exobiology mojo as well. And frankly the notion of tagging planets with my feet is appealing and I will get out there and do that soon. I thought I'd give a run down of how my first hours went in case you might be wondering what its like. I expect if others wanted to know what it is like they would have played it and not waited for me to post about it three years later lol, but undaunted, I proceed....

Price is US$12 in the current sale, which ain't much, so I took the plunge. It seems Odyssey is already in the game, buying it just unlocks it, so there's no long download to suffer through. Starting the game gives you a Start rather than Continue prompt and doing so takes you straight in to the tutorial. It's pretty long, so be sure you have an hour or two to spare when starting. The tutorial sees the player dropped at an abandoned settlement. Well, forcibly abandoned since bad guys iced all the residents. Whoever did that has gone, so you are walked through the steps to restore power and functionality to the settlement. It shows you how to do many of the common things, like use the arc cutter (used in salvage missions and for opening locked containers and other stuff), restore your suit's power, use weapons and shields and so on. Restoring power alerts the bad guys, who drop from a ship and search you out. Reinforcements show up and you are tasked with eliminating all. Doing so completes the tutorial and you climb aboard your guide's Sidewinder and fly away.

Then it's back to the main game proper with a Disembark prompt now showing in the cockpit. Doing so puts you on your feet in first person view inside your ship's hangar. I spotted the elevators and headed for them, turning to look at my Python, and I must say this is impressive, to view such a magnificent ship from this perspective. You get the same sort of thing in your SRV, but still. Headed up the elevator to the concourse, which is pretty small, but pretty cool too. A number of NPCs populate the place, with a lounge having massive windows through which to view the traffic flying in and out of the station. I like this. Around the place are several vendors and mission givers. There's a travel agency, weapons shop, shipyard sales and so on. One of them is Frontline Solutions, which lets you sign up to fight for one of the factions at war in the system. My home system at the mo is UGP 145 and as luck would have it, we have a war going on, so I didn't have to leave home. But I think it's probably better to do this stuff in a different system so you aren't killing rep for killing their soldiers.

In Pioneer Supplies you can buy gear. I picked up a few weapons and a couple of suits and plenty of consumables, which are things like battery packs and grenades. Having billions in my pocket makes this phase a snap, but a noob would be struggling to get outfitted. New ship, suit, firearms and so on add up.

Weapons are long arms and sidearms. Three types, ballistic, laser and plasma. Suits are combat, scavenging (including arc cutter) and exploration (includes genetic scanner). The combat suit, called a Dominator, has an extra primary weapon slot so you can carry a laser and ballistic rifle plus a pistol.

In the concourse is a kiosk which acts like the mission hub and you can change and alter your loadouts here. For my first gig I chose a salvage mission to recover some sort of thing from a crashed ship on a planet in UGP 145. The arc cutter is required, so I put on my new Maverick suit and flew the Python to the planet. Mission objectives are highlighted in blue on the nav panel, but you need to find the site. I spotted a distress signal and once I focused it it turned blue in the panel and I entered orbital flight and approached the site. From my ship I could see a couple of poeple down there, and I guess they could be friendly, but the mission said threat 2, so I assumed they were not, and opened fire with beam lasers and multicannons from a range of about 600 meters. This did nothing but alert them, so it seems you can't just sanitize the place with your ship. Bringing the Python was a mistake as it's pretty big and finding a landing spot harder to do and when I finally set it down I had about 500 meters to traverse on foot.

It was dark on this side of the planet and I approached the site and tried to sneak to the container to grab the thing. Got spotted and the NPCs opened fire. I made another mistake by bringing two ballistic weapons so knocking their shields down took forever. I managed to kill one of the two guards, but then was running out of suit energy and needed to replace the battery but had already forgotten which key does that and died on an ice world. Respawned in my ship with mission failed and flew back to Barnwell. Checked mapping and it is the 7 key that replaces my battery. Ahem.

Took another of the same missions and this one went fine. I got the thing and as I was making my way back to my DBX a ship came in and dropped some bad guys but I was able to climb aboard and fly away. Mission successful.

Next I went to talk to the chick at the Frontline Solutions counter. I chose a side between two allies and she says to board the transport. Took the elevators behind her and down to a hangar where a Vulture awaited, my dropship. I was flown in real time as a passenger (first time ever for me) to the battle site. You get dropped out of the ship from like 50 meters high and straight in to the fight. These are called conflict zones and have three intensities, the higher you go the higher the monetary reward for each kill, and at High you can make millions in a single battle. The first one was in the dark, which made it harder. I nearly died, nearly ran out of ammo and out of suit power, just figuring out how to rearm in the nick of time. How to re-power the suit.

The gameplay is like capture the flag, with a number of points around the map that can be captured when one side gets soldiers on it. Back and forth it goes, with each side getting lots of reinforcements throughout the battle. The capture points probably have something to do with this but not sure how it all works yet. The combat is pretty intense, there are a lot of NPCs on the map, but you have a lot of friendlies too. Using cover and the right weapon is key. Shoot away the shield with a laser weapon and swap to ballistic to finish him off. But shields regenerate fast, so you are constantly swapping back and forth. Better would be to play with a buddy, each of you with one of the weapon types and you could mow them down fast with teamwork. Our side won this first battle and I was flown in the same Vulture back to Barnwell where I cashed in the combat bonds for a total haul of about 600k including the bonus for winning.

Did another low intensity conflict zone, this time in the light, but also a more open battlefield than the first site. This time our side didn't do as well but we still won, and I cashed in for about 800k. I had a much better handle on things for the second go and contributed more. How much money you get is modified by how much of the damage you did, so just landing a hit or two pays less than giving him the full magazine.

I had fun with this. It's a cool way to break up the Elite gameplay, and now I have new Inara badges to chase. These conflict zones promoted me to mostly defenceless Mercenary. It's still early and the novelty could wear off fast, but overall I like what Odyssey has added to Elite, giving me new ways to play. I'll get out there in the black at some point and check out the exploration and exobiology side to the expansion.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4646946 - 05/21/24 01:24 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Sometimes I miss the "like" button here.

You have your own way of persuading me trying new stuff.:)

I have had Odyssey from the start, but I only saw it as a boring way of grinding something else.

May be I haven`t noticed if the gameplay has been updated after the release.

I`ll see if I will try it again.

Good post DBond. smile

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4646950 - 05/21/24 02:01 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, give it a go and see what you think. I had enough fun with the stuff I did to want to do more of it. Not the worst shooter I've played. Broadening the gameplay options is a good thing, since Elite is a game you can burn out on once you fall in to a routine loop, or at least for me. None of it feels tedious, yet. Walking around the station everything is close by, takes about 30 seconds from landing to be standing at the kiosk. The shuttle thing was surprising, I guess I thought you'd be teleported around rather than flown there in real time. So be careful choosing conflict zones with long arrival distances. The NPC pilot is efficient, but it still takes as long as it takes. My conflict zones were about 800ls and so the whole thing took less than ten minutes, and then the same thing coming back. The second seat in a Vulture is above and behind the pilot, like an Apache in reverse. My pilot had a drawl like she is from Arkansas.

The salvage missions would probably get old, since you have to fly there, do orbital flight, land and walk -- and then battle the guards, and then do it all in reverse. The payoff for the ones I did was under 200k, but maybe these get better as your rank increases? Anyway, these are just a couple of the gameplay options in the expansion. There are raid missions, covert ops and lots more.

Plus you can raise rep with factions and superpowers just like ship missions, influence the power play and earn cash along the way. Weapons and suits can be upgraded and engineered too.

#4646981 - 05/22/24 12:14 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I sampled a variety of different mission types. But so far the only ones I've succeeded with are the salvage missions and conflict zones. I did a mission called a Raid, which tasked me with flying to a facility and wiping out the guards there. It was threat 3 which meant 18 NPCs and I got two before fleeing for my life. On foot, there's a mini-map/radar thing which reveals ammunition caches and suit chargers, but sometimes these things are visible and work, and sometimes I can find nothing at the spot or the thing is 'offline'. If I have ammo and suit charge handy, I can stay a long time and kill everyone. If not, I run out of ammunition too quickly and then out of air. Maybe I am supposed to be restoring these functions, I don't know.

Same thing happens on some of the conflict zone maps, I can't re-arm. But maybe I just don't understand enough about how it works and what I am supposed to be doing. In most conflict zones though I can keep topped off and in the fight.

I've done several of each intensity conflict zone. I cleared 4.5 million from my best one (High), which is good money. But then, none of us need money.

I kept at it long enough to be promoted again, now a Rookie. Interestingly, and sensibly, ground combat bonds contribute to Inara's Solider badge.

Next I want to see what the exploration and exobiology stuff is like. Sampling plants on some planet in the middle of nowhere is not my idea of a good time, but let's wait and see what it is like.

#4646988 - 05/22/24 01:42 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Sounds like you’re enjoying the on foot gig. Haven’t tried it, had no interest. But, you’re kinda piquing my interest a bit. Mebe,;;;;

#4646998 - 05/22/24 02:31 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I tried the planet surface exploration in the space suit a couple of times back when Odyssey first came out and I simply couldn't get into it. I just found the game mechanics cumbersome and I discovered via playing "Starfield" that a huge aspect that keeps my interest in doing something like exploring a planet surface on foot is STORY. I need some kind of story-driven narrative to keep my interest.

Having said that, I may give ED another shot in the future if I see they have made significant changes to the planetary exploration aspect.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/22/24 02:51 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4647000 - 05/22/24 02:42 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Bohemond
Sounds like you’re enjoying the on foot gig. Haven’t tried it, had no interest. But, you’re kinda piquing my interest a bit. Mebe,;;;;

Yes, I'd say so. This isn't the sort of stuff that blows your mind and you think how did I do so long with out it? But on the other hand it's kind of cool. I like the conflict zones. These take about a half hour or so from station to station, depending on the arrival distance, and carry no risk. Well, if you fail you lose a little rep with the faction you were fighting for, and for the defeated faction if you win. But there's nothing to invest, and deaths mean nothing, you just respawn in a drop ship and return to the fight. You get the credits for all of your kills whether you win or lose the battle. So far I've lost two of fourteen. One of them was lost because the final two enemies had either spawned below ground or clipped through it. They could shoot out of the ground, but we couldn't target them and they methodically picked off every last soldier on my team and then I just stood there and let them kill me too. So really, it's just one battle that we have lost. Winning kicks in a bonus payment too. So far I've cleared about 15m from ground conflict zones. But more importantly, I am now just 45 bonds from rank 2 soldier badge biggrin

The other mission types are hit or miss for me. I probably just need to know more, but these have proven frustrating so far.

My concern about killing rep with factions can be countered just by alternating sides when you fight in the conflict zones. Each battle you lose a little for one and gain for the other, then flip that and it will maintain equilibrium.

So yeah, if anyone wants to give it a go, get a suit, Dominator is probably best for these, but Maverick works too. Buy a thermal weapon and a ballistic, some consumables and you're all set. Talk to Frontline Solutions and pick a side, then board the dropship through the lift behind the FS counter. The system must have a state of war, and you can choose which planet you want to fight on, and this may have several battle sites of any threat level. Try a low intensity first. A NPC will fly you to the battle site and drop you there. So be mindful of arrival distance to avoid long supercruises. Drop in. Shoot bad guys, capture capture points and try to stay alive. Low grav and a sort of jet-pack ability means you can soar around, reach rooftops and the like. When it's over, win or lose, you will be flown back to your departure station where you can cash in your bonds and sign up for another one.

It's way better to fight in the daylight, but I have not worked out how to know which facility will be on the sunny side when I get there. As soon as you land, identify where the ammo caches are and the energy ports to recharge your suit and use them often to resupply. Plasma equipped enemies are especially deadly (purple projectiles). One hit drops your shields, second hit drops you dead. If shields go down find cover now, get out of LOS. Takes just a few seconds for your shields to come back up.

My loadout is the Aphelion laser rifle, the Karma AR-50 ballistic rifle and the P-15 semi-auto handgun. In a Maverick suit you lose the second primary slot, so that is the Aphelion and the P-15 to be sure I have thermal and ballistic. The Aphelion was not sold at the first station, but when I moved systems I found it there.

For anyone who pays attention to the Inara stuff, a new badge gives you 5,000 points. I shot from 31,000 in the rankings to 21,000 in the past couple of days. Merc badge requires winning ten conflict zones.

#4647001 - 05/22/24 02:49 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Having said that, I may give ED another shot in the future if I see they have made significant changes to the planetary exploration aspect.

I'll be doing this next and I'll let you know what I find.

#4647030 - 05/23/24 12:35 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Last night I hung up my combat suit and decided to further humanity's understanding of that which surrounds us. Exobiology was another thing added with Odyssey and I wanted to see what it is all about.

First, I needed to a choose my exo ship. I considered a number of candidates. The Dolphin, which is nearly perfect. But it is finely engineered to run fast and cool. Adding a hangar for a rover puts it over the power limit. I could solve it by just changing power plants, but then the ship loses its mojo. Krait II would work. I considered the Type 6, which I got for free a couple years ago as a community event reward. The Courier would work and give good flight speed to cover a lot of ground down on the surface as you search for the stuff. But in the end I went with the DBX, which is just too perfect to ignore. Jump range is key.

With that set, I changed in to the Artemis suit, which has the genetic sampler needed to do the exobiology thing. And then set sail for destinations unknown. Flew about 1000 light years toward the core. Not really sure what I am looking for I began scanning and probing planets, basically just standard exploration. What you want to find are biological signals on a landable planet. I searched a lot of systems and found nothing, but I'm piling up the explo data. After a couple hours of this I went to the codex and picked one of the plants, a big blue one that I thought would be easy to spot on the surface. In the codex entry it lists a few 'reported' systems to find that plant. So I picked one about 1300 light years away and went there.

When I dropped I said 'you're trolling me' as every body in the system aside from the star was over 400k ls supercruise. But I had come all this way so I flew out there, topping 900c along the way. As a codex entry there's no chance it will be undiscovered and every planet here was footfalled and mapped too. Started probing the planets until I found one with biological signals. A sort of heat map appears in blue hud mode, but it's actually a biome map, with each one differentiated by subtle shades of blue. I entered suborbital flight and dropped down close to the surface. You gotta get low, like 100 m or less, so the plants pop in to view. Saw the thing I had picked in the codex and set down beside it.

To successfully obtain a sample you actually need to take three. And those three must be consecutive. You cannot sample the blue plant here, and then the green one over there, or progress resets. You also need sufficient bio diversity. Each plant has a colony size or range. Each sample of one plant type must be from a different colony. So get all three and then move to a different species. To scan it you just walk up to it, pull out the scanner and scan it with left mouse button. Takes about ten seconds. My plant has a colony range of 1000m, so I just drove the rover for a couple minutes to find a different colony and got all three, my first exobiology sample. Repeated this with a different, green plant and now have two.

Back in the ship I pointed the nose toward the bubble, but soon dropped in to a virgin system. This is what you want. If you get a sample from a planet where you made first discovery and first footfall the biological data becomes much more valuable, to the tune of four or five times the value. Players talk of making billions doing this. It seems it has overtaken mining as the most lucrative game loop. It was late so I shut it down before I could probe the system. Hoping for some luck and there are some bio's in this one.

Once I get back to a station I'll turn in what I've gathered and see how much it adds up to. Biological data plus all of the standard exploration data will pile up I think.

#4647045 - 05/24/24 04:17 AM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Logged back in and set about methodically probing, mapping and exobiologizing the system. I've always liked the notion of tagging my commander name on the things I discover first. And now with footfalls there's another way to get that done, and without having to travel as far.

I'm probably wrong about first discovery playing any part in exo profits, but first footfall, or at least being the first to sample the biological signals on a planet is the key to making money with this.

I got lucky and found two planets out of the 23 in the system with biologicals. Between the two I got my first first footfalls, and a total of five first exo samples. I mapped every body too so that system is tattooed, aside from the planets I did not walk on. I also found a number of non-human signals, and checked one out, which I think was a crashed thargoid probe? Got a couple sensor fragments at the site. I used the SRV quite a bit. The plants can be seen from the air, if you fly low, so you can do it that way and land the ship close by. Using the rover I was also able to mix in some raw mat farming.

I checked a few nearby systems to see if I could find another virgin one but no luck and I headed back to Barnwell. That undiscovered system was about 900 light years from Sol, and that's the line I usually cross and start finding them. Commanders have had a lot less time to get the footfalls, so those are still in the bubble.

Back at base I went to the genetics store on the concourse and turned in what I had found. In all, seven unique species, five of which were firsts. The biological data was worth about 17m, but the bonuses for firsts turned that in to 60m. Another 10m in exploration data so not a bad trip. I rather liked the process, it was profitable in a number of ways. Data, money, mats, codex entries, rank. It's not hard to find the stuff on the ground. The hard part is finding planets with biologicals in the first place. You can do the codex 'reported' spots to fast track it, but you won't get the nice bonus for firsts. But these aren't all that far from Sol anyway. I'm sure there are plenty still in the bubble.

#4647140 - 05/26/24 02:33 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Another thing Odyssey introduced is the Apex shuttle. You can turn up at the travel agency counter and book a flight anywhere. I decided to try it, and took a flight in an Adder to an adjacent system, landing at a planetary outpost, expecting to then sign up for a few conflict zones. But of course there is no concourse at these locations and my shuttle flew away....

So I was stuck there, until I looked up how to bring up a menu to book another flight. As I turned to run to the landing pad a guard told me to stop so I could be scanned for contraband. I did but too late, frag out and I died. At least it refunded the shuttle fee lol

I can't see ever needing or wanting to use this service when I can just fly there myself in my own ship. It's one real use would be if I had a ship destroyed on a planet while disembarked, then it would come in handy. Otherwise, not something I will use.

Currently out about 700 light years from Sol, making footfalls and scanning plant life. Very little this far out has been walked on, so most planets you find with biologicals will be the high-value ones.

Only three things are essential for exobiology. An Artemis suit, a DSS and a ship to get you there. Anything else is optional. I recommend a SRV of course, but it's a simple matter to set your ship down near most examples you'll want to scan. The smaller the ship the easier it is to nestle it in to tight spots. Anything else will be the same considerations you'd make for exploration. Jump range, cool running, AFMU and that sort of thing are all beneficial, especially if you get out there. With many suitable planets in and around the bubble this isn't strictly necessary. Exo rank is determined by money, like many ranks, so getting first logged samples is the way to go if you can, so some travel is advised.

Each Pioneer Supplies at various stations seems to have it's own inventory, so you can shop around and find upgraded versions of suits and weapons. I've found a few grade 2 versions, which are significant upgrades. Engineering requires various mats, some of which can be bought, and some which cannot. In the sort of stuff I've been doing (conflict zones and exo) I'm getting none of the mats, so buying higher grade suits and guns is the only way I'll improve my loadout for the forseeable future.

#4647169 - 05/27/24 04:42 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I came back from that trip to cash in. Have now cleared about 190m from exo so far. I came back home, turned that data in, went and did some of each type of conflict zone and RES hunting until clipping combat Elite, then headed back out to do some more exo.

I'm getting lots of first footfalls (I look for these) and I even found a virgin system just 600 light years from Sol. It was all ice rocks, but still. Just need three more exo samples for the Exo Inara badge. I'll have that tonight.

I like the atmospheres we have now on some planets. Not a game changer, but does change how the sky looks, and I dig it. I've got the whole exo thing down to a routine now. It's pretty easy if you have the patience to scout around looking for it.

#4647178 - 05/27/24 07:35 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
After Rec's last post in the Dust Off thread I thought I'd write a quick Exo guide in case anyone is considering giving it a go. Maybe it will streamline the process for you. If you have any questions please feel free.

The Goal

The idea here is to find plant life, scan it and catalog it for the advancement of humanity's understanding of the universe.

Ship

Not all that important which ship you choose. Any ship would work. But in general I think you want to use the same considerations you would for your exploration ship. In my case, I'm using my DBX, which is tuned for exploration and carries a single rover. Because the most valuable exobiology occurs on planets where no other commander has done so before, good range is nice to have. My DBX jumps 70 with the rover. Suitable planets are everywhere, maybe even in your home system, but to squeeze the most money out of this activity you'll probably be traveling at least 600 light years from Sol. Keeping this to ten jumps or less makes it all a snap, out there in twenty minutes real time. But ANY ship would work, and having good jump is just a convenience (and jumps right past a lot of potentially valuable systems!). Cool running, AFMU, good visibility, decent impact protection and those sorts of things you can suit to taste. Small landing footprint is something to consider as well, so you can nestle it right in there. Flight speed is not really important for this.

SRV is recommended. I've found it speeds up what I am doing in many cases, plus lets me do other exploration and raw mat farming along the way. I'm using the Scarab, but I reckon the Scorpion would work as well.

Gear

Aside from the ship all you need are two other things, a DSS to probe planets, and a Artemis suit which can be bought at Pioneer Supplies at the station concourse. Not every station has every thing, so you might need to visit a few before locating an Artemis. Buy the highest grade you can find. Grade 1, the cheapest, is fine. This suit has the genetic scanner you need to sample the plant life. A DSS is vital too, to identify which planets have biological signals, and therefore plant life. Any will work, but either G5 standard DSS or even better, the pre-engineered version which expands probe radiius, making the otherwise tedious process of scanning a system just a little faster. And it makes getting the efficiency bonus that much easier too. That is all you need for equipment.

Finding Suitable Planets

To find biologicals, you need to FSS and DSS the system. When you probe a suitable planet, a blue-shaded heat map will appear on the planet, "Biologcal Signals" will appear in the upper right, and if there is more than one biological signal type, you can use Q and E to toggle through them, to show in which terrain you will find that type of plant. Obviously the planet must be landable (half blue circle) and have an atmosphere (full blue circle). Once you have located one, then it is just standard orbital flight and approach to the surface. Be careful and always note the gravity before dropping so you are not caught by surprise! Clicking on a planet in the system map will reveal if it has been discovered, mapped or footfalled. Even if all three are true, you can still get your samples, but will not get the first-logged bonus if another commander has done so before. And just because you see CMDR Gotherefirst has been there, it doesn't mean they also sampled every plant, or any really. But to make things as efficient as possible, I am looking for virgin sysems, and planets which have not been mapped or walked on. If there is no footfall, then you are guaranteed first-log.

On the Surface

Once you drop from supercruise and glide approach, keep flying down near the surface. I like to get down real low, under 50m, then fly slowly with my gear down, looking outside to spot plant life. At this altitude and speed it is usually easy to spot. The most difficult are the bacterium, which look like puddles on the ground. Use the codex to get an idea of what you are looking for, and the codex can also be used to point you to a guaranteed system, albeit one that has already been scanned.

Once you spot a plant, land as close to it as you can. You can either get out on foot or in the rover. In order to obtain a sample you need to scan three plants of the same type consecutively. If you change plant type you reset your progress. And each plant has a colony range, which can be seen in the codex. This could be 150m or 1000m or whatever. To bring up the scanner hit the 5 key. Right clicking sends out a pulse that highlights plants in green. If it is blue instead, it is not of sufficient bio-diversity, it is too close to the other samples you have taken, and you'll need to find another colony farther afield. Left clicking a suitable specimen takes the sample. Repeat three times and you have captured your first exo sample! The animation is different when you get your third, and be sure you don't lose track, scan a different plant and have to start over.

Different plant types have different preferred terrain. Some are in mountains, some grow in cracks and fissures, and so on. If you are struggling to find one, you can re-enter supercruise and switch heat map to highlight areas to find other plant types.

Grab as many as you want, in as many systems as you can take. When ready head back to a station.

Getting Paid

At the station, disembark and go to the concourse. Go to Vista Genomics and talk to the NPC behind the counter. Turn it in and get your money.

#4647199 - 05/28/24 12:07 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
This is one page from last night's expedition. Not sure what makes the first entry so valuable, but it is worth way more than the bacterium, and so the first-log bonus is massive. Exo work is not for everyone, but the money's good.

Attached Files ExoProfits.jpg

#4647201 - 05/28/24 12:50 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond
, but the money's good.

That's part of the problem I ran into when I was playing ED. Once you have several hundred million credits money is no longer an incentive. It's too bad that in-game money could not be converted into ARX.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/28/24 12:52 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4647202 - 05/28/24 01:05 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I get it. I have the least amount of money as anyone on my friends list or in the squadron, but it's still way more than I'll ever need. My assets will hit 5 billion soon, which seems a lot, but it's bush league compared to many commanders.

Wigean's assets are 28 billion! He has 18 billion in cash. Imagine that.

Money for me is not a motivator, how could it be right? Except I like to make it to increase the cash on hand and assets value. Like that is the goal of making money. Not because it is useful, or I am trying to buy something. But like a status or something. A barometer of my success. All of my work displayed as a number.

Maybe I should buy a carrier...

#4647203 - 05/28/24 01:23 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DBond

Maybe I should buy a carrier...

I thought about getting one when the carriers were first introduced but then decided that the carriers weren't worth the hassle of maintaining.

I cant remember what it is called but there's an Imperial capital ship at the main station docks in the Imperial capital that I would have loved to purchase and command but alas, ED just used that capital ship as "eye candy". biggrin

#4647205 - 05/28/24 01:39 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No way they are worth it. biggrin

I bet you're talking about the Empire's Majestic Battlecruiser. Yeah that is a sweet ride.

#4647208 - 05/28/24 03:14 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
I haven`t played ED for a while now.

But I find the carrier handy because you can move a number of ships pretty far at the same time.

I have also used when collecting items in community goals. Especiall when items are hard to find.

Sometimes I use it only for storage when mining. Just waiting for the price to be right.

With regards to maintaining it, I just fill up the account with a couple of hundrerd millions. Then I don`t have to worry abaout it for weeks. smile

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4647219 - 05/28/24 07:24 PM Re: One small step for man [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You got to be a player, to think like that. I mean we are all players, but I mean a player smile

When you've got your money, yeah, gotta spend it on something!

What's your carrier's name Wigean? Have I been on it before?

I see I have Bo's carrier bookmarked. Does that follow him around as he moves the ship?

In that last image I posted, one plant was especially valuable, so I looked up how it works. Each plant type has a set base value, which can then be modified by first-log bonus. But there are no variables, each plant type is worth what it is worth regardless of how, when or where you found it.

Here's the list

Exobiology values

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Euro 24
by RossUK. 06/14/24 08:28 PM
First PC... 1995
by F4UDash4. 06/13/24 05:56 PM
Scramble: Battle of Britain
by RedOneAlpha. 06/10/24 06:37 PM
Upcoming Games
by RedOneAlpha. 06/08/24 09:57 AM
Apollo 8 Astronaut William Anders was 90
by F4UDash4. 06/08/24 12:07 AM
ALIEN: Romulus first full trailer
by NoFlyBoy. 06/06/24 12:10 PM
D-Day
by F4UDash4. 06/06/24 09:58 AM
How many wet shave?
by RedOneAlpha. 06/04/24 03:05 PM
Seabee Operations in the Pacific During WW2.
by RedToo. 06/04/24 03:04 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.