Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4648068 - 06/14/24 08:28 PM Euro 24  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
Who's interested.

Looks like Scotland about to be owned by Germany.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4648072 - 06/14/24 08:47 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm in

Contenders
-- France
-- England
-- Portugal

Got a Shot
-- Belgium
-- Germany
-- Italy
-- Spain

Long Shot
-- Croatia
-- Netherlands

And then everyone else

France are the clear favorite, but I'm going to pick Portugal this year. They won it in 2016 and this side is really good. Maybe not good enough to get past France, but this is why you play 'em. Portugal have the balance, defense and firepower to win this thing. England do too, but Southgate is the manager and England always find a way to foul it up.

Belgium have been my pick for like three Euros in a row, but fool me thrice....

Germany are looking good today, but they've got holes and have not looked good in a few years

Italy? Never know with these guys. They could go winless or win it all

Can't count out Spain, but they are not the juggernaut of years gone by.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4648073 - 06/14/24 08:47 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
This is essentially the second biggest soccer tournament after the World Cup right?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4648074 - 06/14/24 08:49 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Maybe Copa America and Euros are co-equals in world football, right below World Cup

#4648077 - 06/14/24 10:20 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: DBond]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
Originally Posted by DBond
I'm in

Contenders
-- France
-- England
-- Portugal

Got a Shot
-- Belgium
-- Germany
-- Italy
-- Spain

Long Shot
-- Croatia
-- Netherlands

And then everyone else

France are the clear favorite, but I'm going to pick Portugal this year. They won it in 2016 and this side is really good. Maybe not good enough to get past France, but this is why you play 'em. Portugal have the balance, defense and firepower to win this thing. England do too, but Southgate is the manager and England always find a way to foul it up.

Belgium have been my pick for like three Euros in a row, but fool me thrice....

Germany are looking good today, but they've got holes and have not looked good in a few years

Italy? Never know with these guys. They could go winless or win it all

Can't count out Spain, but they are not the juggernaut of years gone by.

I'm quietly with you, about the Portugal prediction. After that I'd say France and Germany. Apart from England who will definitely win ha ha ha.

Interesting month ahead.

#4648080 - 06/14/24 11:47 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm not much of a fan of Southgate really, but what a chance he has. This England side is as good as they've ever brought to the Euros in my eyes. Apologies to the golden generation of Scholes and Beckham through Gerrard and Lampard. Those teams were promising, but we know how it ended up. But this England version just have such lethal finishing, if Southgate doesn't foul it up. At the World Cup I was stunned that Foden wasn't starting, I thought it was a clear mistake. But now he has to be, right? And with Foden, Saka and Kane playing alongside each other England have goals in them. That's a deadly front line. Bellingham and the surprisingly excellent Cole Palmer give another dimension to this edition. England have long felt like the parts were greater than the sum in international tournaments, but they have a good chance here to win it all. I like that Southgate left Rashford and Grealish out. Maybe he's ready to make the right calls, which aren't always the easiest, especially in a team that over the years has seemed to prioritize reputation over form at times.

Portugal too have great finishers and play with freedom. Fun to watch. Plus they got a great draw for the group stage, as did England. France have a tougher group but should navigate it easily enough. We shall see.

#4648095 - 06/15/24 04:50 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
Spain have a promising start!

#4648521 - 06/26/24 01:59 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Not surprised that this thread hasn't been active. Ten years ago we'd be at ten pages by now. But, alas.

This tournament has been poor. The top teams are all playing like crap. England are getting the just rewards for sticking with a hack like Southgate for so long. His tactics have managed to nullify the best England side in forever. They look horrible on the pitch. Devoid of ideas. There is no quick, instinctive play, no one-touch passing, passing in to space, movement off the ball, well-timed runs. It's as if every possible thing has been doused with caution sauce, and they look really bad. Hard to believe. But not really.

Against a better team, which presumably they'd meet in the knockouts, England are gone. But then no one else is covering themsleves in glory here. Dull tournament so far.

#4648536 - 06/26/24 10:07 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: DBond]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
Not surprised that this thread hasn't been active. Ten years ago we'd be at ten pages by now. But, alas.

This tournament has been poor. The top teams are all playing like crap. England are getting the just rewards for sticking with a hack like Southgate for so long. His tactics have managed to nullify the best England side in forever. They look horrible on the pitch. Devoid of ideas. There is no quick, instinctive play, no one-touch passing, passing in to space, movement off the ball, well-timed runs. It's as if every possible thing has been doused with caution sauce, and they look really bad. Hard to believe. But not really.

Against a better team, which presumably they'd meet in the knockouts, England are gone. But then no one else is covering themsleves in glory here. Dull tournament so far.

You've reviewed England better than I could of. Boring is the word I'd use.

#4648537 - 06/26/24 10:07 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
DBond, who would you pick to win at this stage.

#4648542 - 06/27/24 12:52 AM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hard to say, right? Like no one wants it. Of the top teams anyway. Lesser sides have shown grit and determination, like Georgia today and Austria against the Dutch. Maybe Portugal mailed it in, but if so that is worrying.

Having not seen any team look like they will grab their chance, I'll stay with Portugal. I think Ronaldo's ineffective play will see him relegated to a sub in the knockouts, which I think will make them more dynamic. Gotta have Jota in there I think, or Ramos if you prefer. Portugal had already qualified, but you still want to see the side going for it like their elimination was on the line. If you're going to run a 3-4-2-1 I don't think you should have a 39-year old Ronaldo leading the line. If the gaffer doesn't make a change I'll be surprised. I think they still have what it takes to win this thing, but they'll have to be way better than they were today. Use Ronaldo as a sub when you change formation late in a tight game and are shifting more players forward. He will be more effective in a strike partnership in my view, or part of a front three. With a single striker you need that player to lead the press and Ronaldo does not do this.

The Copa has been more entertaining than the Euros so far.

Who's your pick in the Euros Ross?

#4648634 - 06/28/24 08:49 AM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
D13th_Korn Offline
D13th_Korn  Offline

Spain will win. This is based on science: before EURO 2020 my wife bought me an Italy t-shirt. Before EURO 2024 she bought me a Spain t-shirt. Facts.

#4648645 - 06/28/24 03:46 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The matter is settled then.

Actually, Spain have been the best team so far, so yeah, they look favorites at this point.

The US had a disastrous result in a game they should have won, and needed to win. Early red card killed them, but still, Berhalter is a horrible manager. They had actually managed to rid themselves of him, and somehow brought him back. Clown show in the US Federation.

#4648648 - 06/28/24 04:02 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
Wigean Online content
Wigean  Online Content

Oslo
I am waiting for the cup play.

I feel that most of the teams have not showed their potential as group play is about not risking too much. Getting injuries at this stage can be fatal as well.
Coming out of group play well rested and without injuries is paramount.

Also , not showing tactics in the early games may also play a part.

Low rank teams, like Georgia, capitalized on this as surviving the group play is a victory for them. Do they have a squad to replace enough players? I doubt it.

For my part I hope England does a good competition.

And I don`t like teams that use all the dirty tricks in the book that can result in unfair decisions from the referee.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4648651 - 06/28/24 05:11 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: Wigean]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Wigean

And I don`t like teams that use all the dirty tricks in the book that can result in unfair decisions from the referee.

Honestly at times I wonder if I am watching a diving meet and not a game of footie

I propose -- and I am serious -- that I be appointed czar of improving the beautiful game. COITBG is the office I have in mind.

I have plans to change how matches are officiated, and just as importantly, I would institute a body that reviews match footage after the fact to rule on 'simulation' incidents, and hand down punishment for obvious attempts to deceive the referee, and frankly, these guys are gullible. If a player knows his dive will be reviewed and punishment handed down retroactively he'd think twice. Diving and faking injury are the biggest stains on the game and no one seems keen to do anything about it.

I would.

#4648653 - 06/28/24 05:25 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

Honestly at times I wonder if I am watching a diving meet and not a game of footie

This is the main reason why I was turned off from being more than just a casual fan of soccer: the overt diva behavior of so many of the players.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4648657 - 06/28/24 06:42 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
And why I lost all interest in the game. The 'Beautiful Game' has turned into an unwatchable shambles for me.

Uncle Jesse: You know why tornadoes and blonds are so much alike?
Luke Duke: No.
Uncle Jesse: At first, there's a lot of sucking and blowing, and then you lose your house.
#4648663 - 06/28/24 08:59 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Maybe they should add judges with score cards (Like they have for gymnastics and ice skating) to grade the dives:

- Technical difficulty
- Artistic impression
- Impact on the game / timing criticality

You'd probably never see a score of 0 to 0 again...

#4648738 - 06/30/24 04:48 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think there should also be a modifier called 'grimace face factor'. The more convincingly you contort your face to express how grievously injured you are, the higher the dive score? Extra points if you need to twist your neck to be sure the ref sees it.

Watching England now and it is stunning how non-instinctively they play. Listen, I get that national team managers don't get anywhere near as much time with the players as club managers do. But this group has been playing together for years, and the manager has had more than enough time to instill some sort of tactical game plan, and honestly it looks like they have none. I don't know how it is possible, really. It's Slovakia for crying out loud, no disrespect intended, but England should be able to handle them. It's been a very kind draw all the way through to this point for England, but they've barely managed to stumble forward to this point and are in danger of being knocked out. They'll probably find a goal and lose it in penalties smile

#4648739 - 06/30/24 04:57 PM Re: Euro 24 [Re: RossUK]  
RossUK Offline
RossUK  Offline

Eastbourne, UK
England deserve to lose to be honest. Not much else to say. An equaliser goal, hopeful but I doubt it. I could see 2-0 at this rate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Yahoo Dynasty football league
by WangoTango. 07/17/24 02:12 PM
The Last of "The Few" Turns 105
by F4UDash4. 07/17/24 11:48 AM
Dear Amazon... What Is The Deal?
by F4UDash4. 07/17/24 02:20 AM
This is getting bad....
by WangoTango. 07/15/24 08:35 PM
The only F-15E credited with an air-to-air kill
by CyBerkut. 07/13/24 04:25 PM
Actress Shelley Duvall dies at 75
by NoFlyBoy. 07/11/24 06:02 PM
Joe Engle was 91
by F4UDash4. 07/11/24 09:55 AM
BeamNG
by wormfood. 07/06/24 03:06 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.