Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3883633 - 12/25/13 09:00 AM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: Spinkick]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Yeah, do what Bletchley says.
Slowest for fast idling 4 and just jump between 7 and 0. 1 is just set automatic when you start the engine but on most rotaries the slowest idling speed was still around 50% of the engine power, therefore 4.
Blipping when set on 4 while landing has the andvantage that the initial speed is not too fast, so actually good for landing. The downside is that on 4 there is also less power, if you need power. So when you blip down and you see you are too slow and need some roaring up you won't get too much. Also since on 4 RPMs are generally less, the danger of shutting down the engine completely is greater than on higher throttle settings.

Landing while set on 7 might be the best option cause it has enough power if needed and is still slower than full speed and lesser chance of quitting the engine by accident.

Personally I'm landing with 0 on most AC.

Maybe one day different rotary engines will have different setups according to how they were. Also with their dangers and reputations, like catching fire etc. As it is now this is by all means a very good base and fun to use. It makes landings etc. more challenging and explains better why in real accidents happened.

Last edited by Creaghorn; 12/25/13 09:00 AM.
#3883634 - 12/25/13 09:06 AM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: HotTom]  
Falcon988 Offline
Falcon988  Offline

Originally Posted By: HotTom
"Naval Eight -- A History of No. 8 Squadron RNAS" advises to blip only when the throttle is back (least RPMs) to avoid damaging the engine:

"DON'T Blip except when throttled right down. It is extremely bad flying and puts unnecessary strain on the whole machine."

Naval Eight flew Sopwiths through WWI: Strutter, Pup, Triplane, Camel and for a few days the Snipe. All rotary engines.

Since that was in their standing orders, I suspect that's how they really did it.

This was correct. I think. There's a good chance my engine fire was caused by blipping at too high throttle setting. Probably why I've been having so much engine trouble today, I just didn't realize it would lead to a fire. Why don't they give us parachutes again?

JAVITO1986 on the CombatAce forums!
#3883660 - 12/25/13 11:33 AM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: Spinkick]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Blipping did lead to an increased danger of fire, as the petrol cock was still fully open and the windmilling of the prop would be sucking fuel into the engine. Unburnt fuel was then expelled from the exhaust valves and could ignite under the engine cowling. Some engines, such as the 100 HP Gnome Monosoupape used to power the DH2 appear to have been rather more prone to this than others, hence the DH2's nickname "spinning incinerator".

Shutting off the fuel supply for a glider type landing has the further benefit that a less than perfect landing will be less likely to end in a fire. This was also the technique used in a steep dive - shut off the fuel supply in the dive, then back on again as the aircraft levels out. The fuel cock was within reach of the pilot, usually on the right side of the cockpit I think. The Camel had a main tank, under pressure, and a smaller gravity tank that would give another 15 minutes or so at full throttle if the main tank lost pressure. I think the main tank generally fed the gravity tank that then fed the engine (?).

#3883686 - 12/25/13 01:11 PM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: Spinkick]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Not tried switching off and gliding in to land in WOFF, but it's the method I use to land all rotaries in RoF, and have a 99% safe landing rate.
Will have to try it in WOFF of course

#3883717 - 12/25/13 03:01 PM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: Spinkick]  
Herr_Prop_Wasche Offline
Herr_Prop_Wasche  Offline

Ohio USA
Interesting Christmas morning discussion.

It appears that WOFF has gone all out in attempting to duplicate the real-life risks of using a rotary engine in the Great War. That itself is very cool. Is there any other WWI sim that simulates the increased fire risk from blipping a rotary engine? I don't think so.

This leads me to the following piece of advice for all pilots: as soon as you notice serious engine trouble like Falcon/Javito did, immediately cut off the fuel supply to the engine. Hopefully, this will substantially reduce your risk of engine fire. I suspect this is exactly what a trained WWI pilot did in this situation, as well.

Again, very cool. WOFF and realism rock!

#3883756 - 12/25/13 05:14 PM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: Spinkick]  
Falcon988 Offline
Falcon988  Offline

Yep, that's what you need to do. I hope other pilots read this thread and take the proper precautions. Honestly I had no idea at all WOFF simulated this kind of thing, it wasn't something I ever needed to worry about in OFF.

#3883761 - 12/25/13 05:23 PM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: Falcon988]  
HotTom Offline
HotTom  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
Originally Posted By: Falcon988
What are the odds that pilots did just blip all the time in rotaries, regulations be damned?

The odds are very low because the pilot who did that would have his squadron commander's teeth firmly planted in his butt ripping off large chunks. Obviously, you have no time in the military. biggrin

If you go on youtube you will find many videos of rotary-powered planes at air shows and the pilots are blipping on and off constantly. I have no idea what their throttle settings are but considering how rare those planes are, I'm sure they baby them.

There seems to be a confusion here between the sim and real life. Lovely as it is, WOFF is not the real deal. No nuts or bolts (or entire engines nope ) are going to fall off. I suspect you can away wth handling your virtual airplane in WOFF much more roughly than a real one.

And Bletchley isn't entirely accurate. Holding the blip switch too long -- not blipping itself -- was what was dangerous and could cause fires. In the Nieuport 28s, pilots were instructed to hold the button down no more than six seconds at a time to avoid, as Bletchley says, fuel pouring out the valve and accumulating in the cowling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYqzfBMygVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCi10K0dXgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWPf2D0HLg

Last edited by HotTom; 12/25/13 07:30 PM.

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!
#3883833 - 12/25/13 08:25 PM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: Spinkick]  
MajorMagee Offline
MajorMagee  Offline

Dayton, OH
He did a nice job landing in that first one. I learned to slip during landing on a 1948 Luscomb Float Plane. We used to land in a side cove of the larger lake to avoid the ski boats, and you had to drop down to the water from treetop level in a pretty short distance. With no flaps slipping was the only way to quickly kill lift and increase drag. The real trick as you see in the video is to straighten out just before you touch down. In a Float Plane you have the additional problem of looking down into clear still water so it's hard to tell just how far above the water you still are to time ending the slip. Too early and you'd end up gliding out into the main lake before touching down. Too late and...

Service To The Line,
On The Line,
On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.
#3883882 - 12/25/13 10:45 PM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: Spinkick]  
Falcon988 Offline
Falcon988  Offline

So given what we know about blipping, how should the take off be executed? Once the engine goes on, I need to blip the damn thing while waiting for my turn in rotation. This may cause me to overblip and kill the engine, which has happened several times (and is probably why my pilot's engine died and caught fire after leaving the aerodrome). But if I don't blip it, the plane just careens forward ahead of my squadmates and risks a collision. Damned if do, damned if don't?

#3883902 - 12/25/13 11:11 PM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: Falcon988]  
HotTom Offline
HotTom  Offline

Phoenix, AZ, USA
If you're throttled back, the plane shouldn't roll (well it might in real life but there is ground crew holding it down). Push the throttle forward when you want to take off.

Falcon, you're over-thinking all of this. Adjust your mixture to the point where you achieve the max possible RPMs at the altitude where you are flying (this will change as you change altitude but let the tachometer be your guide). Blip as often as you need to to reduce speed while landing or to reduce torque while turning.

The throttle should remain your primary means of engine power control, though. The mixture control and blip switch are for fine tuning.

Hope that helps.

Exceptional engineering...and a large hammer to make it fit!
#3884657 - 12/27/13 09:55 AM Re: Realistic throttle per plane [Re: Spinkick]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Well with no ground crew holding you back set throttle on "1" (10%) at the start and when the ground crew would be letting you go hit "0" (100%) maybe ?

Some craft as discussed had 1/4 1/2 and full throttle too as well as the blip so you could also try say pressing "2" for 20% throttle initially.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of epic, immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Euro 24
by RossUK. 06/14/24 08:28 PM
First PC... 1995
by F4UDash4. 06/13/24 05:56 PM
Scramble: Battle of Britain
by RedOneAlpha. 06/10/24 06:37 PM
Upcoming Games
by RedOneAlpha. 06/08/24 09:57 AM
Apollo 8 Astronaut William Anders was 90
by F4UDash4. 06/08/24 12:07 AM
ALIEN: Romulus first full trailer
by NoFlyBoy. 06/06/24 12:10 PM
D-Day
by F4UDash4. 06/06/24 09:58 AM
How many wet shave?
by RedOneAlpha. 06/04/24 03:05 PM
Seabee Operations in the Pacific During WW2.
by RedToo. 06/04/24 03:04 PM