Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2845294 - 08/21/09 09:19 AM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: Ming_EAF19]  
Pingu Offline
Pingu  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
I have not bought RoF yet, but honestly everything I am hearing regarding the lack of a decent SP, aside from all the other existing uncertainties regarding the DRM's orphan policy and future payware, is not encouraging. So I will have wait this one out I reckon and see what happens.

It's understandable, RoF might have been an anti-climax after so long waiting for it, that's always been the worry yes.

The thing is Pingu, if you like flying flight-sims whatever they are because you like simulating flight, flying over a landscape and landing at airfields, exploring and so on: RoF is well worth getting. It's a decent WW1-scenario flight-sim, it's utterly gorgeous in its dynamic lighting and weather, atmospherics generator and it feels like you're really flying at all heights

That's its civilian-sim aspect and well worth the licence fee alone

Combat flight-sim-wise the AI are really very good and scary pilots and the flight models are er, unforgiving (code for 'highly realistic') You will find yourself smiling at the delicious damage model as you smash through a forest trailing parts of control surfaces or sink ignominiously into a river, cartwheel into the Town Hall Smile2

I didn't play quick dogfights in singleplayer much to begin with, I used to fly around planning missions, reading the good WW1 stuff. But I'm finding playing Russian Roulette for example - a very simple singleplayer dogfight mission - I'm getting more out of it all the time compared to Il-2's QMB. Feels so real. A fiver says you'll be grinning from ear to ear within 30 seconds Smile2

Ming

Yes, good points Ming. You've given me some points to think about over the weekend as I deliberate. Everything I hear about the flight model is fantastic and the YouTube vids are impressive.
To be honest I have been kind of surprised myself about my hesitation as I have been flying WW1 sims since the original Red Baron (I have owned Red Baron, Dawn Patrol, Flying Corps Gold, RB3D and currently OFF). Personally I was following this project since it was Knight of the Sky. So my interest is surely here. Flying RofF's Se5a and hopefully Sopwith Dolphin would make me smile from ear to ear I'm sure.
So I will probably buy this, from scouring a few forums I think my hesitation despite my existing interest is likely not unique. I think in reality this speaks to the fact that marketing wise the manner in which Neoqb has rolled out RoF and the apparent lack of response to some of the community concerns has not done them many favors.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: Ming_EAF19
I agree with FiveDigits btw mate, rather a broad brush you used: there are very solid people around if you can hang on to your humanity while you find em

Fair enough. The operative word in my earlier comment was that this was what I experienced during my forays online (CFS3 BTW). I think this speaks to the fact that everyone's online experience can be very very different. For me personally it was appalling, but this was on public servers and stuff so who knows. If anything I think it demonstrates how some potential customers can be seriously put off when companies start saying that their product will be basically multiplayer only. So my advice (for whats its worth Smile2 ) to Neoqb would be that they should be quite cautious about ignoring the SP aspect as they could well alienate a significant portion of their customer base.

Last edited by Pingu; 08/21/09 09:28 AM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#2845297 - 08/21/09 09:34 AM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: Pingu]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Morale took a tumble in the face of mass panic yes, I do believe though that this anti-climax thing is worrying people. Endure a load of aggro with this compulsory-online thing and find a sim like <a wipe-after-an-hour sim>?

Flying Corps yes, the destroy tanks mission I played that to death in bilinear filtering and MiG Alley in a Mustang with the little guys scattering, Rowan made the good and immersive ones for me. This is Son of Rowan trust me: sunset over Arras with the battlefield behind, sun in your eyes on the way back, pop-pop-popping of the engine, just soakin up the rays Smile2

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2845302 - 08/21/09 10:13 AM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: 2005AD]  
SimonC Offline
SimonC  Offline

North of England
"95% of offliners are cheapskates that don't want to PAY for a quality ONLINE game, and they think anyone who does pay is "foolish""

Well, as a gamer who plays 99% of his time offline and in campaigns, but who has shelled out plenty of money over the years on flight sims, I find that a baffling and extraordinary judgement.

There are plenty of reasons - time limitations, lack of opportunities, preference in playing a long established pilot in a key period of the war - why people play off line/single player, and casting aspersions on their motivations for doing so don't strike me as particularly constructive.

Please recognise that we are *all* WWI flight gamers: we all share a common passion, and by seeking to be so divisive you do the entire community a grave (and highly visible) disservice.

I do occasionally wonder what the reactions are of gamers interested in flight sims who come onto SimHQ and read such things.

#2845306 - 08/21/09 10:55 AM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: FiveDigits]  
FiveDigits Offline
The Grim Squeaker
FiveDigits  Offline
The Grim Squeaker

Germany
As I said

Originally Posted By: FiveDigits
Regardless of what is needed more, who has the greater numbers, who is willing to spend more cash etc. there is one very simple reason to fix MP first:

It takes less time.

Create a DF server and release a dedicated server software to be installed on remote machines and you're done. Creating the kind of content the SP crowd wishes for just takes so much longer. Look at how long OFF took to get to the SP excellence with historical accuracy it offers now.

So I welcome Neoqb's approach to get MP working asap. Once they won't have to worry about MP any more they will be able to focus on scripted and dynamic campaigns and what ever else you desire.

there's no need to fight.

#2845309 - 08/21/09 11:04 AM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: SimonC]  
Ming_EAF19 Offline
Babelfish Immune
Ming_EAF19  Offline
Babelfish Immune
Veteran

London
Yes it's all very odd Simon but some small minority of people flying online must think they're actually real pilots rather than people playing hopefully-enjoyable games like the rest of us. Goes to their heads. You can spot them by observing their sneering and lots of other words beginning strangely with the sn- construction

Snot, snooping, sniggering, snort, snooty, snobby etc: all the bad things start with an s then an n have you noticed Smile2

Scandanavian derivation perhaps, keeps the sneerers warm in their long dark nights of the soul maybe. Nah.

Ming

'You are either a hater or you are not' Roman Halter
#2845316 - 08/21/09 11:51 AM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: 2005AD]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

Originally Posted By: 2005AD
Originally Posted By: NattyIced
The MP side is terrible, that's why there's never anyone there. I can at least fire up single player in one of the various varieties, or download some missions that are made, and get into a fight within a few seconds of the game loading. With MP, waiting around for 11 minutes staring at a few trees is not something I'm going to do.

So why are no more than a few people playing MP at any given time? The above is the reason, it's a throwback to early 1990s WON RB1 style play. It's not even up to speed of getting people into a lobby and assembling a coop from there.

If MP had been released with a "join as you please and get into the game", or even a lobby to fill up a mission and then start it, it would be far more popular.

If both of you actually believe that SP is outdated and unimportant then you need to wake up to reality.

I said anything about SP where? I made a remark about your "figures" of the current online "community". Simply put, the online numbers don't exist because MP is even worse than SP right now.

#2845333 - 08/21/09 12:22 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: NattyIced]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

I said anything about SP where? I made a remark about your "figures" of the current online "community". Simply put, the online numbers don't exist because MP is even worse than SP right now.

My apologies Nattyced, I should have read your post closer and replied seperately. The numbers in RoF MP are very low right now but to attribute such low numbers to nothing but broken MP is wrong IMHO. Even though IL2 has a very well developed online MP system the numbers flying it are in no way a majority of IL2 users. My point being that if these numbers are to be taken as indicitive of the majority then the total sales for both sims must be depressingly low.

#2845338 - 08/21/09 12:28 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: NattyIced]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
I´m sorry to hear that you have such experiences while online playing/flying Pingu. I would say it all depends on the server where you are playing and the game/simulation. I never really touched the SP element in Black Shark, Arma2 and RoF. It may be that the simulations are out of interest for the "funny" crowd. Even in Arma2 when you are on the right server, teamkilling will force you to be kicked/banned. So give MP another try! wink

#2845350 - 08/21/09 12:55 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: EagleEye[GER]]  
Redcoat22 Offline
Redcoat22  Offline

I imagine almost all MP users run around these forums as it is complimentary to the online nature of their gamestyle and a natural media for communicating to one-another.

SP users are different. I much prefer login on my terms and taking part in my little war ala RB3d. I think it is obvious that it is one of the most lacking features mentioned on any and every forum. It was only discouraging because when asked about the future nothing was said about shoring that up; and it is put into contrast by his comments of starting other time periods.

I think alot of us were hoping for a long continued development of a WWI game. While it is yet to be seen if that happens or not, that interview (short of the two-seater confirmation) didn't help reinforce that feeling.

#2845358 - 08/21/09 01:23 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: Redcoat22]  
Michiel Offline
Senior Junior Member
Michiel  Offline
Senior Junior Member

The Netherlands
What neoqb should do is tell us about what they are doing.

all this talk about SP vs MP, doesn't lead anyware.
they should communicate more,
it's nice that 777 and aerosoft tells us something (once in a while).
but it's better to hear it from neoqb.

a very senior junior member ;-)
#2845379 - 08/21/09 01:42 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: FiveDigits]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
Well, one thing neoqb has been very sucessful at is turning all factions of the dwindling flightsim world against each other.

Well, more than we usually are anyway. smile

BigJim43, Oleg who? Maddox?

AH2 = Aces High 2?

So, because you say Oleg somebody is seen online in a pay to play airplane game that it means any claim that offliners outnumber onliners 8 to 1 is not true?

And WOW?
Come on, completely different world and those six million, in case you have not noticed, are not, nor would most ever be, WWI filghtsim game players and not relevant to a flightsim game conversation.

I think, and could be horribly wrong, that all ROF needs now is a shovel and CK may be just that.

#2845438 - 08/21/09 02:41 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: Sunchaser]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

MP may not be broken, but in it's current form it's pretty useless. My schedule varies, times I can play vary, and right now the only way I can play is SP. I don't mind that, but I'd like MP to be available when I have time to play.

As it stands, it's reminiscent of the old modem days where you had to synchronize with a buddy and the client would dial into the other person's host system then proceed to a do a mission. Restart when needed. It's basically a 20 minute deathmatch, unlike the 3 minute ones of Quake which could be tolerable to wait around (plus you get to watch the action there), where you sit and stare at trees if you joined after the mission started.

In the future I'd like to see a dynamic campaign developed, but as the current plane set stands it wouldn't really be a dynamic campaign. There just isn't much there for that aspect.

Last edited by NattyIced; 08/21/09 02:41 PM.
#2845439 - 08/21/09 02:41 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: Sunchaser]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
I'm primarily an offline player but I can accept that online play is the easier of the two modes to improve.

Unless Neoqb are willing to outsource campaign engine development then I can see a satisfying single player experience being a long time coming. Its a massive shame because the core flight and combat experience that ROF provides is nothing short of glorious.

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#2845492 - 08/21/09 03:45 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: NattyIced]  
drafting Offline
drafting  Offline

It's basically a 20 minute deathmatch, unlike the 3 minute ones of Quake which could be tolerable to wait around (plus you get to watch the action there), where you sit and stare at trees if you joined after the mission started.

Uh... you know that you can hit Ctrl-F2 and Shift-F2 to cycle the camera through both sides' planes, right? smile

#2845527 - 08/21/09 04:08 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: 2005AD]  
BigJim43 Offline
BigJim43  Offline

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted By: 2005AD
The MP side is terrible, that's why there's never anyone there. I can at least fire up single player in one of the various varieties, or download some missions that are made, and get into a fight within a few seconds of the game loading. With MP, waiting around for 11 minutes staring at a few trees is not something I'm going to do.

So why are no more than a few people playing MP at any given time? The above is the reason, it's a throwback to early 1990s WON RB1 style play. It's not even up to speed of getting people into a lobby and assembling a coop from there.

If MP had been released with a "join as you please and get into the game", or even a lobby to fill up a mission and then start it, it would be far more popular.

Originally Posted By: BigJim43
The reason you don't see much MP is because to most MP folks coop is NOT MP when they get the DF part of MP working THEN check back and see how many will be on MP.

Single player is an outdated mode, for most of us, or just a place to "practice" abit, flying vs AI is just silly it is either too easy or uber, never quite right (unlike human competition that isn't programmed).

I have not been flying RoF lately because all it offers is off-line and that is skimpy with uber shots for AI (since last patch) which I have no interest in flying. When there are join anytime DF servers up and running I will be there but until then I am just keeping things updated and waiting for Neoqb to do their "thing"

If both of you actually believe that SP is outdated and unimportant then you need to wake up to reality. I suggest you go and look at IL2 Hyperlobby and notice how at most there are only a few hunded people using it at one time. At its zentith IL2 was only attracting around 900 online players in Hyperlobby. I have news for both of you (and anyone else who believes that SP is outdated), if 900 users is a majority then the flight sim gernre is already dead and we didn't know it!

Juding that the majority of flight simmers are MP only because most people online think like you is akin to going to a U2 concert and asking who is the best pop group in the world. The answer is totally worthless because you are asking only one demographic and their answer will be totally biased. For Rise of Flight to be even a moderate success they need to sell around 50,000 copies and keep people interested in buying the addon aircraft. If your opinion that SP is outdated and MP is where it's at then even a thousand people plaing RoF online would make it a total failure.

If you believe online gaming is so slight how do you account for AH2 being around so long, not to mention AW, WB's etc etc. Your the one who is living in La La Land not us.

#2845556 - 08/21/09 04:31 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: BigJim43]  
2005AD Offline
2005AD  Offline

Originally Posted By: BigJim43
If you believe online gaming is so slight how do you account for AH2 being around so long, not to mention AW, WB's etc etc. Your the one who is living in La La Land not us.

Every one of those titles is a pay to play sim! Do you understand that concept or are you really that pig headed? You can go on convincing yourself that you are the future and the majority for as long as you want, it doesn't make it true. Funny thing is I think you know that already, you just can't admit it.

#2845573 - 08/21/09 04:44 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: 2005AD]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
As AI routines improve and computer controlled opponents are made to appear more human I can see single player gaming becoming even more popular again for sims.

Most of the online annoyances are caused by people, they don't turn up, don't take the experience as seriously as you'd like, don't work as a team.... etc. Apart from the social side why would you play your favourite sim with people if your PC could provide squad mates and opponents that gave an on demand more immersive experience smile

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#2845576 - 08/21/09 04:47 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: Michiel]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Ah...the human race, 'ya gotta love it.
It's not enough that we hate each other because of where the other guy comes from, what religion he prefers, or what the color of his skin is. Now we've added Single Player versus Multi-Player to the list.
Anyway, let me jump into the multi-player corner.
If anything changes, Id like to see it be to multi-player. I want a server that I can jump into at any time, and join in. Spawn at an airfield, take off and go looking for a fight.
And Ming, I agree that the Russian Roulette mission is fun and it's great training.
And let me just add, that single player types are okay, I just don't want my daughter marrying one.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#2845583 - 08/21/09 04:54 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: drafting]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

Originally Posted By: drafting
Uh... you know that you can hit Ctrl-F2 and Shift-F2 to cycle the camera through both sides' planes, right? smile

No, I never bother to try actually. I look at trees, and then the message pops up of how much time is left to play. I then log out and play SP.

#2845590 - 08/21/09 05:04 PM Re: Long Overdue Interview with neoqb [Re: NattyIced]  
Buddye1 Offline
Buddye1  Offline

South East,Texas,USA
The WWI is a small community and I fear that the ROF sales have been modest and a disappointment.

The community needs to stick together.

IMHO, ROF needs to improve both the SP campaign and the MP dog fight.

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Movie Box Office visits?
by PanzerMeyer. 05/21/24 05:42 PM
The Old Pilot
by KRT_Bong. 05/21/24 12:30 PM
Il Plastico
by wormfood. 05/20/24 11:22 PM
WWII Photos Realistically Colorized
by F4UDash4. 05/20/24 09:04 PM
How many words/sentence should a speech be?
by NoFlyBoy. 05/20/24 10:54 AM
Harrier Pilot "Sharkey" Ward was 80
by F4UDash4. 05/19/24 11:01 PM
Autographs
by F4UDash4. 05/18/24 06:34 PM
Boxing fans
by RossUK. 05/18/24 03:11 PM
Bud Anderson was 102
by F4UDash4. 05/18/24 01:14 PM
The guy in War Games passes at 92
by NoFlyBoy. 05/18/24 02:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.