Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 182 of 385 1 2 180 181 182 183 184 384 385
#4525598 - 06/15/20 01:08 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? *** [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Arrow video even gave it a 2K Blu Ray Remaster.

I would imagine that was several years ago because the entire DVD/Blu-Ray consumer market has crashed.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4525610 - 06/15/20 03:26 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Ssnake
The Hunt for Red October

I don't know how many times you have seen it but did you noticed anything new during this most recent viewing?

The wife started joking during the opening scenes that it was Merlin and Richard Lionheart on board of a Russian boomer sub, and we immediately descended into wild fan theories how that could have happened, especially with Frank N. Furter as the ship's medic, and Thulsa Doom as a high ranking CIA officer. Apparently they all found the holy grail near Alexandretta, and made ... wise choices.

#4525619 - 06/15/20 04:28 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Ssnake]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

The wife started joking during the opening scenes that it was Merlin and Richard Lionheart on board of a Russian boomer sub, and we immediately descended into wild fan theories how that could have happened, especially with Frank N. Furter as the ship's medic, and Thulsa Doom as a high ranking CIA officer. Apparently they all found the holy grail near Alexandretta, and made ... wise choices.

LOL! Brilliant.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4525627 - 06/15/20 05:36 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I have seen some weird and bizarre horror films but this one, I don't know what to say. Society (1989) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098354/ From what I found about it online, it's a cult movie?

Society is a classic.

Speaking of classics, I'm almost ashamed to admit, but needing a strong dose of "normalcy" and nostalgia, I watched "Valley Girl" from 1983 over the weekend. Great movie--entertained me, and that's all I wanted--fun movie with lots of awesome 80's music.

By the way, this film further convinced me that almost 80-90% of the best music from the 80's came out between 1980 - 1984. Those were the years to be alive in the decade, if you want to go back in time, someday. If you disagree, prove me wrong, but the bulk of the best music from those years came out during that narrow period.

Overall, was a great movie, with that gritty reality we expected from film back then. There was lots of cliche during the decade, but the movies would sometimes push the edge--not that this one was that type--certainly not "Less Than Zero" caliber, but there were a few intense scenes of dialogue between two characters that truly felt like they were real people and not just reading lines.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 06/15/20 05:37 PM.
#4525629 - 06/15/20 05:52 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
If you disagree, prove me wrong, but the bulk of the best music from those years came out during that narrow period.

There's nothing to disprove or prove because musical tastes are all based on personal preference. Now if you want to debate about which groups and artists from the 80's had a greater influence on the art form known as "music" then that can be measured to some extent. For example, I don't think you will find anyone claiming that Jermaine Stewart had a greater influence than Prince. biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/15/20 05:54 PM.

#4525630 - 06/15/20 06:00 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Funny you mention Prince, for his two best selling albums, Purple Rain and 1999, both came out in 1984 and 1982, respectively.

smile

I meant my debate challenge in lighthearted jest. I'm serious, though, that the bulk of the creative, groundbreaking work and influence from the 80's emerged between 1980 and 1984. What a hell of a time that was to be alive, even as a kid.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 06/15/20 06:01 PM.
#4525632 - 06/15/20 06:10 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

smile

I meant my debate challenge in lighthearted jest. I'm serious, though, that the bulk of the creative, groundbreaking work and influence from the 80's emerged between 1980 and 1984. What a hell of a time that was to be alive, even as a kid.

Personally I would agree but the second half of the 80's saw the rise of freestyle which was HUGE in Miami where I lived and you also had the rise of Rap which became fully mainstream and also the big hair rock bands. So for people who are fans of those genres I'm sure they would say that the best music from the 80's was between 1985-1989. If you're a classic rock and New Wave guy like me though, there's no doubt that best albums came out in the first half of the decade.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/15/20 06:11 PM.

#4525634 - 06/15/20 06:36 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Hotshot
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Yeah, New Wave was huge in the early part of the 80s, and Punk Rock, as well as heavy metal--Scorpions, anyone? They had some killer albums in the first part of the decade, although their 70s stuff was strong, too, and one of my favorite albums of theirs, "Savage Amusement," came out in 1988.

As for Rap, well, there's Grandmaster Flash's stuff from 1979 which was genre defining for hophop--"Superrappin'." Ahh... Oldschool rap, not trying to hijack thread, but I gotta share the greatness:

#4525636 - 06/15/20 06:51 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Arrow video even gave it a 2K Blu Ray Remaster.

I would imagine that was several years ago because the entire DVD/Blu-Ray consumer market has crashed.

September 2015.

[Linked Image]
#4525653 - 06/15/20 07:58 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada

Is that why I can't get my favorite shows on Blu-ray anymore?

#4525662 - 06/15/20 10:35 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: BlueHeron]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by BlueHeron

Yup. The market has been transitioning en masse to streaming for a while now and the pandemic has accelerated that trend.

#4525667 - 06/16/20 12:09 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

[Linked Image]
#4525700 - 06/16/20 06:46 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
At least in Germany they sell sticks to plug into your TV as the security token, combined with a three month trial subscription. The challenge is to get the subscription cancelled. But it's ... possible.
Also, they don't give a dead rat's a$$ about your privacy preferences such as not to be contacted by email (and submitting an email is mandatory in the registration process, of course), so be sure to use a throwaway account for that. They're not quite on the harrassment level as Scientology, but there are depressingly many parallels.

#4525711 - 06/16/20 10:36 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Ssnake]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
They're not quite on the harrassment level as Scientology, but there are depressingly many parallels.

Do Scientologists still do the door to door visits in Germany? I used to get unsolicited home visits by Scientologists, Mormons and Jehovas Witnesses quite a bit back in the 80's and 90's but those seem to have thankfully died off by now. At least in my city.

#4525716 - 06/16/20 11:11 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I don't know about this. From the preview, I see cliche. The German has sex with the captured Russian female solider. The captured Russian female soldiers are kind of too neat and clean having been on the battlefield: good hairdo, clean faces, makeup. One of the captured Russian female soldiers wants to kill all the Germans: the Germans must had massacred her family or killed someone she loved so she wants vengeance. How many times we seen a character like that before in a war film. Someone holding a grudge against the enemy due to personal loss. On the bright side is a UK production so maybe better than the Hollywood production showing all Germans are bad and America won the war for the world.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8810394/

https://cinando.com/en/Film/the_eastern_front_point_of_no_return_337513/Detail

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eastern-Front-Point-Return-DVD/dp/B084DG7DD6

[Linked Image]
#4525718 - 06/16/20 11:25 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
The captured Russian female soldiers are kind of too neat and clean having been on the battlefield: good hairdo, clean faces, makeup.

This is a very common issue with most movies set in the historical past and I've seen this with both big budget Hollywood films and low budget independent films. I think it comes from the hesitation of the film-makers to present women as dirty, grimy, and just generally unattractive even though it would be historically accurate. The main blonde Russian female soldier in the trailer looks like she just stepped out of an expensive hair salon. Perfect hair, perfect complexion, perfect makeup, etc.

#4525723 - 06/16/20 11:43 AM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Don't forget her eyebrows are all plucked. She should have a unibrow like this model https://opmakeup.com/sophia-hadjipanteli-unibrow-movement/

[Linked Image]
#4525736 - 06/16/20 01:01 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vaderini Offline
Vaderini  Offline

The captured Russian female soldiers are kind of too neat and clean having been on the battlefield: good hairdo, clean faces, makeup.

This is a very common issue with most movies set in the historical past and I've seen this with both big budget Hollywood films and low budget independent films. I think it comes from the hesitation of the film-makers to present women as dirty, grimy, and just generally unattractive even though it would be historically accurate. The main blonde Russian female soldier in the trailer looks like she just stepped out of an expensive hair salon. Perfect hair, perfect complexion, perfect makeup, etc.

This also REALLY annoys me with Hollywood movies/tv shows. Even the most dirt poor trailertrash guy/gal looks like a model, and this was already the case in the days of Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman (the definition of perfection). I understand that ugly people don't bring in the people to the box office, but we've come to a point where even the most mediocre TV show has models instead of proper actors. It's insane.

#4525756 - 06/16/20 03:00 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
Originally Posted by BlueHeron

Yup. The market has been transitioning en masse to streaming for a while now and the pandemic has accelerated that trend.

That is unfortunate. Expensive home theatre equipment sits mostly idle and wasted because of poor quality A/V and no surround sound. In the case of Netflix, it's really #%&*$#.

Is anyone moving to fill this void? A streaming service that provides uncompressed 6 channel audio?

#4525765 - 06/16/20 03:27 PM Re: What Is The Last Movie or TV Show You Saw? [Re: Vaderini]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by Vaderini
This also REALLY annoys me with Hollywood movies/tv shows. Even the most dirt poor trailertrash guy/gal looks like a model, ... we've come to a point where even the most mediocre TV show has models instead of proper actors. It's insane.

Watch BBC productions, where actors still look like people.

Page 182 of 385 1 2 180 181 182 183 184 384 385

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.