Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 54 1 2 3 4 53 54
#4241289 - 03/19/16 09:29 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted By: Paradaz
That's probably the reason why progress is so slow then.

Too many concurrent projects, too little resources, too many changes without proper planning and attempting to introduce too many new platforms in a rush to generate funds.

You complain about ED having too little ressources in a thread that you solely created to fault them for finding ways to generate more revenue? Where do you think that revenue goes (considering that the number of projects that ED work on is continuously growing)? Either the logic train doesn't halt at your station or you are being seriously disingenuous here.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4241290 - 03/19/16 09:34 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Nope. I created the thread for discussion as to whether people think that ED are now starting to focus on quick-profit campaigns at the expense of DCS progress.

If you're insinuating that ED need to generate more revenue just to continue development then it's just another example of them taking too many concurrent projects on and not having accurate estimates as part of their planning in the first place.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4241298 - 03/19/16 10:57 AM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
mrskortch Offline
mrskortch  Offline

I'm not sure how much effort it takes on ED's part to integrate a campaign made by some guy into the game. Especially if the campaign has been around for a few years and was sold on his own website in that time. If anything it just makes me question if this is the new norm for campaigns. Instead of releasing a free campaign to the community someone decides to go to ED and make it payware instead. It certainly has made a few people interested in making campaigns all a sudden.

#4241315 - 03/19/16 12:43 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
For the Record, BF4 was NOT fixed in months.

For the record and given your association with ED as a tester, I won't use your definition of when something is 'fixed' or not within a specific timeframe. smile

Funny you're complaining about Campaigns in Quick Profits, then you use BF4 as a Comparative Example...

When BF3 and BF4 are both Desgined for DLC and Quick Profits... lol

If ED Wanted Quick Profits, they'd be Selling Engine and Weapon Upgrade Packs, and Make it so you have to level up to unlock systems.

Want to use the A-10C TGP, oop, You Gotta be Level 45, if you dont wanna wait, you can purchase an expert pack.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#4241316 - 03/19/16 12:45 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: mrskortch]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted By: mrskortch
It certainly has made a few people interested in making campaigns all a sudden.

Maybe so, however what % or cut does ED take from selling user made campaigns that are integrated into official patches and releases? if it was actually worth it, yes more people would be coming forward. Even at 50% each way or $5 bucks per sale is it really worth it?

"You don't get higher up the chain at VEAO" boasted 10's of thousands of hawk sales where as I didn't think it could be any more than 3 - 5 thousand. However if what "up the chain" said holds any merit, than an ED endorsed user made campaign at say 50% each way based on a hypothetical 10,000 campaign sales would equate to $50,000 each way.

My guess is, if 10's of thousands of people have purchased the hawk, Then 100's of thousands must have purchased the A-10C, and if that is anything to go off, then a combined 10's of millions must have purchased the A-10C, KA-50 and other aircraft officially endorsed by ED and their partner BST. Given that data, If building a campaign and proposing it ED to be officially endorsed, We would see 1,000 000 to 5,000 000 consumers over at the ED forums boasting that they are building a campaign and looking to sell it through ED. However we don't do we? instead we see the release of a 3 year old DCS A-10C campaign revamped and repackaged as a "new" campaign for DCS.

Wouldn't we see either on here at SimHQ or over at the official DCS forums, hundreds of thousands of general users boasting of putting campaigns up for the public to comment on? It's taken how long for ED to realize Ranger79's campaigns that's been out for a year or so and is actually better than and more enjoyable than the recent officially endorsed DCS A-10C campaign. This makes me wonder and no doubt others who is the marketing manager at ED.

I take it people like my myself have done the math and realize that it would be a waste of time and energy unless of course you want to add to your "rep" and score a few more green squares over at ED HQ

#4241317 - 03/19/16 12:58 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Winfield]  
Eddie Offline
Registered Lunatic
Eddie  Offline
Registered Lunatic

Originally Posted By: Winfield
I think I'll wait for the 476TH Fighter Group to post whether the maple flag missions are worth purchasing or not. This "new" campaign is years old for the A-10C.

You'll be waiting quite a while. We don't do single player, and most of us have never flown any DCS campaigns or standalone missions from ED or anyone else within the DCS "community". There are one or two more junior members who do, Recon being one example, but they do so on their own not under the umbrella of the 476th.

Eddie

#4241318 - 03/19/16 12:58 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Nope. I created the thread for discussion as to whether people think that ED are now starting to focus on quick-profit campaigns at the expense of DCS progress.

Interesting that you chose a 3rd party campaign release to ask this question.

Nate

#4241320 - 03/19/16 01:01 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Eddie]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Originally Posted By: Winfield
I think I'll wait for the 476TH Fighter Group to post whether the maple flag missions are worth purchasing or not. This "new" campaign is years old for the A-10C.

You'll be waiting quite a while. We don't do single player, and most of us have never flown any DCS campaigns or standalone missions from ED or anyone else within the DCS "community". There are one or two more junior members who do, Recon being one example, but they do so on their own not under the umbrella of the 476th.

Fair call, so in other words....a complete waste of money really

#4241321 - 03/19/16 01:02 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Nate]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Nate

Interesting that you chose a 3rd party campaign release to ask this question.

Nate

It's not that interesting because if you read the first post you'll see I questioned whether we'd suddenly start seeing a lot more campaigns back in November last year. Lo and behold.

#4241324 - 03/19/16 01:09 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
That would make sense if was a campaign by ED.

Nate

#4241326 - 03/19/16 01:15 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
You'll get the goalposts moved if you try hard enough, read the thread and try to ignore the latest newsletter.

Also on 18 March 2016, we will release the second update to version 1.5.3 of DCS World. Please note 1.5.3 Update 2 is the support for the new A-10C: BFT campaign

#4241329 - 03/19/16 01:28 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
I see - and just how has this 3rd party campaign release affected DCS Progress then? Is there anything you can tell us that isn't conjecture on your part?

Nate

#4241332 - 03/19/16 01:41 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Nate]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Nate
I see - and just how has this 3rd party campaign release affected DCS Progress then? Is there anything you can tell us that isn't conjecture on your part?

Nate

LOL, that old chestnut....... You haven't read the thread from the start yet - I recommend you do that first, so that you can put your opinion across when you put your thoughts/answers against questions posed rather than going on the defensive and trying to start the usual counter argument with your own set of silly questions.

I may also point you to the definition of a 'forum'. I know that ED aren't really aware of the purpose but SimHQ certainly are.

#4241337 - 03/19/16 01:48 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

The fact that there are still lots of bugs with the mission editor/ai behavior etc is this new content going to "work" correctly a year from now?

Maybe ED can focus on A/A next, cuz missiles have been borked for what, 4 years now?

I may also point you to the definition of a 'forum'. I know that ED aren't really aware of the purpose but SimHQ certainly are.

QFT

Last edited by LOF_Rugg; 03/19/16 01:49 PM.
#4241338 - 03/19/16 01:49 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
This question "Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus"?

Then I would have to say no.

Nate

#4241340 - 03/19/16 01:53 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

Saw in the latest update that we can now buy "training" missions. So they sell us a full fidelity a/c then they sell the training missions too.

Remember the good old days when we didn't get nickled and dimed to death? I know that in my business not doing this to my customers has actually increased my revenue.

#4241341 - 03/19/16 01:55 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Nope the A-10C module still comes with training missions. This is a 3rd party's campaign being sold.

Nate

#4241356 - 03/19/16 02:43 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
I don't see how anything I've said is off topic? Now as to your questions (I think I have then all), I'll try to answer as best I can, since you asked so nicely.

EDIT:- Awww you deleted your post.

A new DCS World update that features nothing other than support for a new payware campaign?

No, a few important fixes too. I think there is a changelog somewhere for this update. EDIT: I've linked it below.

How's about getting the missions into the Nevada branch for starters or is that at the back of the queue because no funds are generated?

Honestly I've no idea as to how ED handles it's revenue. Nobody here does, so the above is manufactured speculation IMO. I do know however that work on Nevada branch continues.

Considering this is a newsletter, and an ideal opportunity to inform customers of progress - how about they actually include some valid information in them?

Can't really answer this one unless we define what constitutes valid/non-valid information. I suspect this would be different for each individual.

........what progress are ED making with DCS World for example?

Change logs are in the link below with updates to DCS world dated 18th,11th March, 17thFeb, 22nd Jan for 2016 and about 12 other changlogs for the period Sept-Dec 2015
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2707665#post2707665

You wonder why people like me make these posts?

I couldn't possible explain what motivates you - This may have been rhetorical

Are you now insinuating that a 3rd party campaign offers no monetary gain to ED?

Not directed to me, but I can't imagine they are not.

what's the latest on DCS World, what about the 1.5/2.0 merge, where are the Nevada missions, where is the ED progress?

Ok a few questions rolled into one, lets see....
Latest on DCS world is a bit broad in scope, but to be pedantic is actually the Newsletter that sparked the discussion.
The 1.5/2.0 merge is ongoing - not much else to say here really. It will be done when its done, it's not a cut and paste job.
Where are the Nevada missions - I don't know the time frame for these, these will mostly likely come with the Nevada release
Where is the ED progress - Hard to quantify this question, but if you go over the Changlogs linked above you'll see detailed past progress from last September onward.

Is there nothing to put in the newsletter?....is the 'new' campaign just filler because there is no real news?

Ok, 2 in 1. First one, probably not anything they felt like sharing. Second one, here we'll have to define what constitutes real news, again I've feeling that this will depend on the individual.

There is next to nothing in the previous week, the week before that was a spring sale....get my point?

I think I do. I guess the point you are making is that they don't keep you informed as often as you'd wish.

Nate

#4241358 - 03/19/16 02:57 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: LOF_Rugg]  
Remon Offline
Remon  Offline

Greece
Originally Posted By: LOF_Rugg
Saw in the latest update that we can now buy "training" missions. So they sell us a full fidelity a/c then they sell the training missions too.

Remember the good old days when we didn't get nickled and dimed to death? I know that in my business not doing this to my customers has actually increased my revenue.

#4241362 - 03/19/16 03:07 PM Re: Campaign after Campaign? - is this the new focus [Re: Paradaz]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Let's take a moment to align ourselves with the forum rules.

1.2 Forum members must treat others with respect and tolerance.

1.5 Threads and posts are to be on topic according to the forum section and thread title.

I don't want to see the admins remove posts and weild the ban hammer

Page 2 of 54 1 2 3 4 53 54

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.