Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
#4121507 - 05/18/15 01:30 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Skoop....I'm a supporter too...was just having some fun. The guys have some really good points here...but it's nice to see some positive posts from time to time. We all love our flight sims here...no doubt about that. Take Care...

#4121534 - 05/18/15 02:14 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

What is this? Haven't seen it before but I destroyed a few of them biggrin
Looks like carrying some bombs...
Anybody?

If you're close, get closer.
#4121539 - 05/18/15 02:18 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
DrZebra Offline
crash-professional
DrZebra  Offline
crash-professional

steppe
thats a Nebelwerfer.. "Wurfrahmen 40", named after Nebel, the rocket pioneer as well as after the fact that it could be used to produce a smokescreen (german: vernebeln)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurfrahmen_40

Last edited by DrZebra; 05/18/15 02:19 PM.
#4121542 - 05/18/15 02:19 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
That looks like a 'Wurfrahmen 40' (launch frame 40). It's basically a SdKfz 251 halftrack with rockets mounted on the sides.

Last edited by Chucky; 05/18/15 02:20 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4121550 - 05/18/15 02:25 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Ami7b5 Offline
Ami7b5  Offline

Didn't know that... thought it was too fat for rockets.
Sry for off-topic but it's interesting.

Thanks DrZebra & Chucky!

Last edited by Ami7b5; 05/18/15 02:29 PM.

If you're close, get closer.
#4121556 - 05/18/15 02:30 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
A little info here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurfrahmen_40.It had a great nickname of 'The Walking Stuka'

*edit* DrZebra beat me to it.

Last edited by Chucky; 05/18/15 02:31 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4121576 - 05/18/15 02:58 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
JagerNeun Offline
JagerNeun  Offline

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
My dad called them "screaming mimi" confirmed here...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Mimi

#4121585 - 05/18/15 03:11 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
If you play Company of Heroes 1 or 2 they have them in the game. The rockets make a great sound and the devastation is great if imprecise. smile

German tracked version of the Katyusha rocket launcher trucks.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4121822 - 05/18/15 09:45 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Saw this comment on the official forums regarding the low numbers of players online

Quote:
but maybe there is little interest in WWII flight sims in this day and age?

There is interest out there for a WW2 flight sim, we just don't have one in BoS - now you could add a 'yet' to that but I've not seen any indication that 1CGS see where the problems are with their game when they keep churning out the same type of game and that won't change while people still buy it. Its not that there are not enough flight sim fans out there its just 1CGS couldn't seem to make up their mind who their target audience was.

#4121829 - 05/18/15 09:55 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Extreme_One Offline
Mission Builder
Extreme_One  Offline
Mission Builder

Southampton England
Hell yeah, I'd buy a new WWII flight sim, built for the modern PC, if anyone was up for making one.

#4121865 - 05/18/15 11:02 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
dburne Offline
dburne  Offline

And I see threads continue to disappear over there, thought they had moved beyond that...

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
#4122402 - 05/20/15 04:49 AM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: Skoop]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted By: Dakpilot
Well there is your problem...you are trying to play on Ultra settings with a Balanced settings computer...

Cheers Dakpilot

[Text deleted] you crack me up with your little quipy remarks even though you know not of what you speak. hahaha butt

Originally Posted By: Skoop
Originally Posted By: Blade_Meister
Originally Posted By: Skoop
1.Just pointing out guys that the days of grand dynamic SP campaigns are over and devs are nervious about sinking resources into that because historically those projects broke all the devs studios that went there.
I get what you guys are saying, if you want to make a statement by not purchasing because your not happy with this trend in sims then fine. 2. But there's nothing high fidelity being actively developed, we have Dcs for modern and BOS for WWII.

3. I think he community has proven that they can work with the FMB. I'd like to see them open the SP campaign for editing, let us make our own.

Sorry Skoop but these statements do not ring true from what I have experienced in Flight Sims IMHO.
1. First, I can only think of two Sims with a Dev built Dynamic Campaign Gen, Falcon 3.0/4.0, and TAW. In each of these Sims the DCG was pretty wildly popular and still is in some cases. What Devs were broken Historically because they attempted or finished a DCG? I cannot think of one??? DCS has a Random mission generator, but that is not the same as a DCG?
2. DCS is actively developing for WWII and TF is actively developing CLOD as a Mod Team(maybe if we threw the support and money at TF like people have at BOS we might actually get an actively developed IL 2 Successor).
3. The FMB content for BOS is very sparse. It has been out for almost 3 months now and I have seen very few Sp missions being developed. What is interesting about some of these missions that I have run is that the creators have put a lot of planes and AA in them(Ju 52 test mission especially) and my frame rates have gone down from a pretty steady 40-50 FPS on Ultra to 20-30 FPS with the same settings. It seems to me that the AI using the same modelling as the Human players plane is a heavy burden on the DNE and is bogging down BOS, at least for me.
Anyway I will be interested if you can shed some light on question 1. at least Sir ????

S!Blade<><

1. It's been well documented that the falcon campaign ran the dev studio out of business due to production costs and not getting a significant return. There are even interviews years later where microprose employees stated they would never engage in it again. EECH devs gone - sim being kept alive by modders, looks really old and dated. Rowan BOB - devs are gone, sim being kept alive by BDG, which is cool, but dated and old now. TAW is really old, not even touching that one.
See my point, all those professional devs are long gone from the industry.

Sims being kept on life support by modders don't count, that's free content with no deadline or customer to be accountable too.

2. That just leaves DCS or Il2 BOS as the only actively (paid)professionally developed high fidelity / advanced flight model sims.

3. I'd say there's a fair amount of content in 3 months of FMB release. There's about 30 different missions so far by estimation of everything released.

BOS is like DCS in a sense that you will kill your fps if you put enough AI units in it, smart mission design can help with this. I've seen some AI heavy units in scenarios lately that where impressive that they fit that many in with good fps.

1. Thanks I did not know that. I looked up the interview and seems the DCG did play a major part in the Backers decision to pull the plug. The funny thing is that simmers are constantly saying how good that DCG still is and how they wish others would emulate it.

2.Agree about DCS high fidelity(painfully slow development of WWII, but at least they saved Luthier's diasaster). Disagree about BOS being High fidelity. IMHO the FM(light feeling of flight like ROF FM, Russian dive speeds wrong, to fast and unorthodox shaking and wobbling of Axis fighter) and especially the DM(which DCS DM is awful also) leave a lot to be desired.

3.Disagree humbly, 30 missions in 3 months is very low for a Community the size of the BOS Community, Plus there is no way to make an actual Campaign. I agree about mission design, but with the DNE engine modeling all AI with real player physics, you will see this take a heavy toll on FPS unless like Dakapilot says you compromise eye candy for FPS, meaning balanced or low setting. To me that is unacceptable when I run most of my Fight Sims with near Max or Max settings and stay in the 30-50 FPS range. To actually be able to adjust my settings such as I could in the EA could allow me to find the right balance to have my cake and eat it to, but Loft doesn't want to allow me to do that. If you want to play some heavy AI laden missions with good FPS and premium eye candy, get a Desastersoft Campaign for CLOD and as long as you are not directly over London(it is fair over London), you will have good performance and supreme Eye Candy Graphically adjustable however you like. Thanks again for the info on DCG waying down Falcon production. salute

S!Blade<><

Avoid characterizing the message author. Stick to addressing the message content.

Last edited by CyBerkut; 05/20/15 08:22 AM. Reason: Moderation
#4122482 - 05/20/15 12:59 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
lokitexas Offline
lokitexas  Offline

San Antonio, TX.
I don't recall having issues with thousands of AI in DCS. Heck the the only time I ever has issues in a custom campaign was when there were 50 to 100 ground force vehicles firing multiple rockets.

Bos is crippled when you introduced a decent amount of AI, just as in RoF. Not sure that will ever be fixed....therefore not sure how people can look all rosy toward the future of sp. All signs from RoF to BoS point to small scale with no room to change.

#4122500 - 05/20/15 02:01 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: lokitexas]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted By: lokitexas
I don't recall having issues with thousands of AI in DCS. Heck the the only time I ever has issues in a custom campaign was when there were 50 to 100 ground force vehicles firing multiple rockets.

Bos is crippled when you introduced a decent amount of AI, just as in RoF. Not sure that will ever be fixed....therefore not sure how people can look all rosy toward the future of sp. All signs from RoF to BoS point to small scale with no room to change.

In my experience I have to disagree with you on having thousands of AI in DCS. If you want to lower the graphics settings down to medium or low in some cases then yes I guess it is possible with acceptable FPS. If I am running High Graphics settings I will see slowdown in the 20- 30 FPS range with only about 12 -15 Ai. This is especially true over any bigger cities. I honestly think DCS outperforms BOS and graphically they are close, giving BOS the edge, but as far as feeling of flight(FM), CEM and immersion(even without a true WWII map and objects) DCS wins hands down, IMHO. CLOD is where it is at for having massive detail and having more AI than any other modern Sim out there. There is still just to much to enjoy in CLOD, DCS, Il2 1946 CUP and even ROF to even think about BOS or BOM. I still can't buy the ,"Well it's BOS & BOM or nothing." Couple that with the attitude of most of the PR crew and IMHO the lack of popularity, especially in MP, and you have a True picture of the mediocre(at best) product 1c/777 has sold us. Maybe some of you are right, 1, 2, 3 years down the road BOS might be a great Sim, who knows, stranger things have happened, but it is already coming up on 2 years.
salute

S!Blade<><

#4122544 - 05/20/15 04:18 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Skoop Offline
Skoop  Offline

Ventura, CalifornIA
There's truth to that last line, who'd thought a team of modders would improve CLOD for free.

For me it's hard to ignore BOS cuz I'm a huge east front fan. I like the aircraft of the era and the differences that the match up provides.

Last edited by Skoop; 05/20/15 04:22 PM.
#4122661 - 05/20/15 07:57 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Of course, the same could be said of Falcon 4. When the official patches for that stopped in late 99, it was working but hardly stellar. It had a few years of life in it, but would've died out 10 years ago if not for the modding.

Ironically, the modding proved the market still existed, which led to Lead Pursuit getting the rights to release F4: AF. Despite what they called "beyond successful" sales, they collapsed too. At least, seeing as all the devs disappeared, the website stalled with no updates since 09, and the promised sequel/addon still hasn't happened 10 years later, I think it safe to say that it went full circle.

F4 RP and SP work led to F4:AF coming out, but F4: AF IMO ultimately died because the modders went further faster and left it behind.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4122721 - 05/20/15 10:05 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
I love how I am to believe it is not possible to make a dynamic campaign when there are iPad games with dynamic campaigns. There are tons of iPad war games with persistent models that wouldn't qualify as dynamic in my book but are fun and immersive.

Of course, Falcon was the absolute pinnacle of single player experience. I was on the closed beta, with one person I know of from SHQ, and I find it absurd that with all the means of funding that exist now that did not exist back in 1998, many of which BOS has used and probably more they planned to use, I'm supposed to believe that a dynamic campaign, let alone a decent single player experience is impossible. It is a matter of priorities and BOS dev's are not interested in the same ones as we are.

That's surely their prerogative. I'm not going to support it further.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 05/20/15 10:08 PM. Reason: iPad typo

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4122735 - 05/20/15 10:57 PM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: Airdrop01]  
KodiakJac Offline
KodiakJac  Offline

USA
Originally Posted By: Airdrop01
It is a matter of priorities and BOS dev's are not interested in the same ones as we are.

That's surely their prerogative.

I think that this is what it comes down to, plain and simple. All of the hopeful thinking of what "could be" is coming from customers, not 1CGS. And it would be a simple thing for 1CGS to say "of course we're working on better SP campaign content." But they're not saying that at all. They're working on BoM with the same BoS campaign system. Even as 1CGS is flat out saying it isn't going to happen, supporters of BoS insist otherwise. I don't get that part.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
#4122795 - 05/21/15 04:19 AM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Loft'ilosophy:

"= FB = LOFT, on 15 May 2015 - 21:56, said:
We make a game for those who bought a pre-order BZM (BoM) ..
Because people buy BZM (BoM)."

People buy BOM because find BoS good/right.
BoM = carbon copy of BoS, expect any online(COOP)/campaign(SP) improvements is futile. wink

#4122831 - 05/21/15 09:17 AM Re: ...Regarding Buying BoM [Re: KodiakJac]  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
I think that this is what it comes down to, plain and simple. All of the hopeful thinking of what "could be" is coming from customers, not 1CGS. And it would be a simple thing for 1CGS to say "of course we're working on better SP campaign content." But they're not saying that at all. They're working on BoM with the same BoS campaign system. Even as 1CGS is flat out saying it isn't going to happen, supporters of BoS insist otherwise. I don't get that part.

But but, they just need more time....it will be ok....the community can fix it.......

Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.