Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3999610 - 08/23/14 12:19 AM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
I like the new outposts and I think these revolving (for gravity) orbitals we have is cutting down the possibilities of design (look at the x-games).

So i guess we don`t have artificial gravity on our ships too? The design doesn`t look like that IMO.

I wood love to see big orbitals, which aren`t revolving. We have explored hyperspace in the ED universe? We for sure found a solution for artificial gravity.

As i said, only for the sake of variety of spaceports.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#3999678 - 08/23/14 03:31 AM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
I don't see anything wrong with the ship designs re: gravity, per se. Your pilot is strapped into the seat, and we must also bear in mind that they are intended for atmospheric flight and landing on planets and stations with rotational gravity, so it does make sense to have an up and a down to the design, at least to a degree (and I'll take the remaining details that could be different on the "looks cool" principle").

Unfortunately due to the online nature of things, the cohesive approach to semi-hard science fiction has become softened more than I like in other areas. In-system travel at several times light speed irks me the most from that perspective as a result of not being able to have the dreamer time compression, but I'm not a total killjoy, so I'll suspend my disbelief that much. On the other hand, one of the most charming things about Frontier was that, except for hyperspace travel (which I grant is just a mandatory plot device for intragalactic travel), there wasn't a whole lot that broke the laws of physics blatantly. Where Frontier (et al) had Newtonian relativity, now we have maximum velocities fixed to some universal frame of reference. Additionally, the flight controls themselves and maneuverability (even taking into account "assists"), don't really stand up to the unblinking eye of physics.

All that said, of course, true Newtonian space combat just doesn't lend itself to fighters and is frankly pretty boring. I love the Newtonian-physics chases--trying to out accelerate your target over billions of miles, and then timing the deceleration to put you in range at a similar velocity--and the tactics of combat positioning in three dimensions, having to consider potentially huge velocity vectors and the possible directional changes given levels of thrust will allow, and so on. Frankly, though, particularly in one-v-many, and many-v-many combat, it really is more than a human can keep in his head effectively. And also, physics be damned, I just like Star Wars style close-range space dogfights, so despite the loss, I'll grant this is probably more fun in the end.

Still, I do dream of the possibilities of chasing a foe halfway across a solar system for (time compressed) days on end, trying to maximize my delta-v against his through clever maneuvers, predicting his course change options, and taking advantage of the gravity of massive bodies and so on. I can even imagine scenarios that, via the magic of pseudo-science techno babble, could still allow Star Wars style dogfighting while respecting this: maybe once you've closed to a particular range, you could launch some sort of "inertial damping charge" that would limit ships in its area of effect to low relative velocities, perhaps forcing them to dogfight close in with small, limited reaction mass thrusters or something.

Okay, okay. I'm ranting, and that's just not the way it is, and the way FD has worked things out is probably the best given the givens. And, of course, by all means don't get me wrong, despite losing some of the harder science aspects, it's still the best space sim I've played in ages and ages.

These space outposts look brilliant, and as more content is added and the univerese grows in size, it will just keep getting better. By the time all the expansion packs are released, it will probably be a seminal classic like its predecessors, and I'll still be playing it 10 years from now. wink

(Sorry about the TLDR, but I've been giving this lots of thought lately and some venues get cranky when I criticize fundamentals even coming from a default, clearly stated position of just loving the hell out of ED).

#3999699 - 08/23/14 05:37 AM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: kilosierra]  
TheBlackPenguin Offline
TheBlackPenguin  Offline

Originally Posted By: kilosierra
I like the new outposts and I think these revolving (for gravity) orbitals we have is cutting down the possibilities of design (look at the x-games).

So i guess we don`t have artificial gravity on our ships too? The design doesn`t look like that IMO.

I wood love to see big orbitals, which aren`t revolving. We have explored hyperspace in the ED universe? We for sure found a solution for artificial gravity.

As i said, only for the sake of variety of spaceports.

There won't be any artificial gravity in the game, but this will open up interesting and varied gameplay options we don't see very often, if actually at all as most sci-fi likes to deal with "AG".

Magnetism is how you "stick" to things in the Elite.

As for varied spaceports, there is more coming as answered in the newsletter:

"What variation can we expect in the size and shape of station interiors and location of the docking portal?

As you can see by looking at the Outposts feature elsewhere in the newsletter, there are going to be stations without docking portals. This also extends to when we have surface landings, post-release. There are also other station types yet to be revealed. Other interiors will come too – to indicate the wealth and allegiance of the station."

#3999714 - 08/23/14 06:47 AM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

David Braben stated, whenever asked, that in his universe there's no artificial gravity bar that achieved with rotational momentum.

The cockpits are actually pretty good un that regard as you'll notice plentiful of handles for moving around and lots of straps (used and unused) for holding stuff.

Of course there also are steps and such because (eventually) we'll get planetary landings.
I've been following the development since the earliest days of the Kickstarter and this stance was something that puzzled many. I'm totally ok with that.

Mind that it's the same with the previous Elite games and canon/non canon fiction as well. No artificial gravity.

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3999811 - 08/23/14 01:02 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Two words: Magnet boots wink

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3999815 - 08/23/14 01:22 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Is there any ETA on Beta 2?

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#3999834 - 08/23/14 02:20 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
Odds are there will an official announcement of Beta 2 in an upcoming newsletter, and barring anything going weird (a distinct possibility), it will be released prior to the newsletter following that one. Newsletters are released either weekly or semi-monthly depending on what there is to talk about, so really anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's. There are also rumors that it may be released on or not long before the Eurogamer expo taking place the third week of September. Odds are we will be given plenty of advance official notice prior to release.

I assume it will probably come with a character wipe as well.

#3999863 - 08/23/14 03:42 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
shan2 Offline
Veteran
shan2  Offline
Veteran

Maryland, USA
Thanks. I just have not enough time to play these days.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.
#4002459 - 08/29/14 03:35 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

#4002460 - 08/29/14 03:35 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
DaveKelly Offline
DaveKelly  Offline

Buckley North Wales
Newsletter 38 is now out but no date for Beta 2 Newsletter 38

DD_crash
#4002564 - 08/29/14 07:12 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Boy that's a LOT of great news.
Maybe not a date for beta 2, but exciting times ahead nonetheless.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#4005540 - 09/05/14 05:52 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

#4005708 - 09/05/14 09:38 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

I am a declared fanboi but this newsletter leaves a kind of bitter taste.
I must admit it's some sort of self inflicted hype.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4008798 - 09/12/14 02:47 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
DaveKelly Offline
DaveKelly  Offline

Buckley North Wales

DD_crash
#4008799 - 09/12/14 02:48 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

grrrrrrrrrrr just came here to post it biggrin

Someone must be watching twitter! smile

Last edited by Master; 09/12/14 02:48 PM.
#4008805 - 09/12/14 03:03 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

That's so both amazing and depressing at the same time. :P
Sort of. I'm very VERY happy. It would have been better if there was the proper announcement for Beta 2.
Anyway the 30th anniversary is hard to take not as an hint. Or it's just me?

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
#4009036 - 09/12/14 09:27 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
boomerang10 Offline
boomerang10  Offline

Texas
I'm glad to see that, for sure, you'll be able to own multiple ships.

#4011842 - 09/19/14 04:02 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
DaveKelly Offline
DaveKelly  Offline

Buckley North Wales

Last edited by DaveKelly; 09/19/14 04:16 PM.

DD_crash
#4011856 - 09/19/14 04:29 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

15 bucks for one skin for the worst ship in the game. uhhhhg.

#4011927 - 09/19/14 06:51 PM Re: ED Newsletters [Re: Master]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Master
15 bucks for one skin for the worst ship in the game. uhhhhg.

That's a pure personal opinion.

Click to reveal..
Para_Bellum

Ice

MigBuster

Sauron
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.