Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3686367 - 11/21/12 10:51 PM Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
The following is taken from the newsletter sent out to Steel Beasts Pro Pe customers:

Quote:
Dear Friends of Steel Beasts Professional,

Substantial decisions have been made about the eSim Games team, and it is about time to inform the general public. While I don't like being self-referential, this is one of the few situations where it's our duty to keep you informed.

Some may remember that we were a bit overwhelmed with the positive response in the form of software customizations in the 2006...2009 period which basically forced us to drastically reduce our marketing and sales activity to work off the backlog of customization contracts. I mentioned on previous occasions that this was a "luxury problem" - but a problem nevertheless.

We found new programmers in the form of Lukas Friembichler from Austria in October 2010, and Christoph Keller in December 2010. In 2011 we further strengthened our team with Mikael Persson, responsible for the animations of our 3D character models, and David Collins for additional 3D modeling; I should also mention Tony Jesson for his work on 3D models. You'll see their wonderful work with the next PE release, and I'm sure you'll like it. This summer, Miro Torielli joined the team, and with J Schmidt the fifth programmer will soon be on board.

Ed Williams will continue to direct our efforts in quality assurance, work on sound effects, and do much of the important work for the integration of new vehicle models into the simulation. Raino Sommer too is of course still a member of the eSim Games team, working on his great 3D vehicle models as ever.

However, from January first Al Delaney will begin to reduce his involvement. He'll still be around for advice and eventually also some coding, but we agreed that Lukas will be the new lead programmer and that as far as all business decisions are concerned, eSim Games Germany will now carry the torch. For most practical issues, nothing will change for our customers. Copies of the Personal Edition will still be mailed out from California, the web shop will work the same.

But of course we wouldn't make this change if we wouldn't expect to be able to serve our customers better in the future.

Going from a single programmer to a group of four, from one 3D artist to four, and professionalizing quality assurance as well as establishing better team coordination - this is of course a massive change, and one of the reasons why we couldn't release last summer's planned mid stream update.

The upside: We have full confidence in Lukas' ability as the new leader for the programmer team. We can afford to have one programmer - Miro Torielli of Falcon BMS fame - to concentrate on the development of a new rendering engine. It's too early to whet your appetite with screenshots as they currently do not represent the end result. I could say something about our plans, but talk is cheap. When the time is right, there will be screenshots and videos to illustrate what to expect.

One more programmer - Christoph Keller - is in the role of developing fundamentally new technologies for us - a luxury that we couldn't afford in the past, so that's definitely a plus for all our customers once that his inventions have matured to the point that they are releaseworthy. In this case I'm talking about movement path optimizations to handle complex terrain much better - especially when obstacles like walls, narrow alleys, bridges, mine fields, and similar things are involved. I think that we can at least very much reduce a popular source of frustration here.

Mikael Persson is an animator who worked on the original Assassin's Creed, and who is now working on animating our 3D characters. I think we have assembled a good and robust team here that shows a lot of promise for future development, especially for the period beyond 2013. We'll be able to work on several customization contracts simultaneously where needed, and can invest in conceptual work to bring in new capabilities.

There's still a lot to do until next June when we will release the next SB Pro PE version, but I'm confident that we're in a better position than ever to introduce a number of new features to expand Steel Beasts' capabilities substantially:

Aside from the new rendering engine, we will make it possible pause a network session to allow people who dropped out of a session to re-join a session in progress (this will also work for late-comers). As a very welcome side-effect, we made it possible to save any mission in progress as a new scenario file.

SB Pro will no longer be a game of two parties, Red and Blue. Expect to see noncombatants in future scenarios as well as irregular fighters. Dismounted troops will navigate complex villages much better. There will be autonomously acting pedestrians to populate villages, and autonomous cars to drive from one area to another, thus creating patterns of life where villages in SB Pro were void of any population in the past. Scripting the population will be made much easier, without the need to define movement paths - we adapted the established principles in the user interface for this, of course.

If you have received this email in error, please accept our sincere apologies. Or, if you no longer wish to receive it, you can easily unsubscribe. Just visit our website www.eSimGames.com and enter the email that you want to unsubscribe in the lower left hand of the screen (and select the appropriate button). You then only need to reply to a confirmation message.

It looks like big changes are a coming. Good luck to them, they put out a superb product.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3686399 - 11/22/12 12:02 AM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
good info... thx.

#3686400 - 11/22/12 12:12 AM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Now if only the folks at UBI and CloD would be so forthcoming. wink

Thanks for the heads up!

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#3686647 - 11/22/12 02:28 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
Thanks for heads up.

Good luck, Esim Games!

#3686831 - 11/22/12 07:12 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Thank you for your well wishes (and a happy Thanksgiving to you all in the US!).

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#3686938 - 11/22/12 10:55 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
Smithcorp Offline
Smithcorp  Offline

Oz
This seems positive - some real graphics improvements possible in future as well? Shadows for example? Great news.

#3688447 - 11/26/12 06:12 AM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
mpdugas Offline
mpdugas  Offline

Texas
I am truly sorry to see Al Delaney go, and I wish him God Speed in all that he and his family do.

Thanks for your vision; we should take a moment to remember that SB would be nothing without him!

#3692881 - 12/04/12 07:36 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Sounds great, with a new engine that hopefully has some shadows and a bit of eye candy you definitely have a buyer in me when that time comes smile

#3693035 - 12/04/12 11:08 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Be seeing you in June, then. smile

#3701371 - 12/18/12 01:20 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
I can't get past the pricing for this game, $140 for the complete game?

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3701390 - 12/18/12 02:18 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
No, $100 ... printed manual and installation DVD are optional and may be ordered separately (or not). And we have clearance sales on occasions.

The market for serious tank simulations is very small. The amount of work that we have to put into getting things right is however not small. So we have to leave the typically accepted pricing spectrum in order to avoid losses (I don't even want to talk about substantial profits here).

Price is only half of the equation. You also need to look at the value that you get. Value is of course a highly subjective element. What's the value of a glass of water? It depends on your preferences, and the circumstances in which you are. Could be extremely valuable to someone dying of thirst in the middle of a featureless desert, could be worthless in an Aqua Park on a rainy day. So I can't answer how valuable SB Pro would be to you, only you can try and estimate it by investigating the product (YouTube, SimHQ test articles, or our "try before you buy" assisted demo program).
Most of our users think that SB Pro is well worth the price - a steal even, given the longevity of entertainment that it offers as an open sandbox type of simulation. But of course you need to have a developed interest in contemporary combined arms combat tactics and modern armored vehicles. If you do, this is the best that you can get in its price range. If you don't - well, other games may be better suited for your tastes.

#3701400 - 12/18/12 02:27 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
It is worth every penney. I can think (off the top of my head) of at least 7 games I purchased in the past and basically shelved them after trying for a month or two. Each cost at least $40. I've had SBPE for several years, at least six I believe (I'll have to check). SBPE has never been off my hard-drive. In fact I've had it on two computers now. It never gets boring.

#3701922 - 12/19/12 04:53 AM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
LOL game.It is a hardcore Tank simmers paradise smile

#3702005 - 12/19/12 09:20 AM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Well, it is what you make of it. You can just as way play around with it

#3702190 - 12/19/12 03:57 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
jack72 Offline
jack72  Offline

Toronto
For what it's worth,,,,I haven't purchased the game yet, but I was surprised to see the cost at $100.00....I really did expect this to be more..and from what I read from posters, and the content that is being put into the game...I beleive the $100.00 is well spend. $140.00 for the other stuff also seems like good value to me.

My one obstocal is the the learing curve for the planning in missions before you go into battle. I know that is necessary and also makes this more realistic, but would I ever get to the understanding of how to properly make a battle plan...(the only experience I have in battle tactics is from watching "The Rat Patrol" and "Hogans Heros"). However, I feel that eventually I will take the plunge...probalby in Jan or Feb of 2013.

Last edited by jack72; 12/19/12 04:23 PM.

- I know those voices in my head are not real, but man they have some good ideas.

- I never killed anyone, but I have read a large number of obituaries with great satisfaction.

- If I cannot make it to your funeral, I will certainly send a message indicating my approval.

- Most of my Friends are Imaginary

- Time is money, so I decided to sell my watch.
#3702428 - 12/19/12 08:50 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: jack72]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: jack72
My one obstocal is the the learing curve for the planning in missions before you go into battle. I know that is necessary and also makes this more realistic, but would I ever get to the understanding of how to properly make a battle plan...(the only experience I have in battle tactics is from watching "The Rat Patrol" and "Hogans Heros"). However, I feel that eventually I will take the plunge...probalby in Jan or Feb of 2013.

There are many people on the SBPE forums who would assist you in your understanding of the operation. Also, included with the simulation is a document folder which has at least 12 (off the top of my head) documents on mechanized warfare, the vehicles etc. and how this stuff all comes together. It would not take you long before you were up and running your own operations. biggrin

#3702549 - 12/19/12 11:22 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Participating in multiplayer games is the easiest and most entertaining way to learn the ropes. Newbies are welcome as long as they can follow the team leader's orders and intent (SB Pro is rather team oriented; lone wolves will usually only lose alone, and eventually hurt the overall team effort).
But if you tell the others that you're new, there's usually someone who will take you by the hand for the first games.

smile

#3715768 - 01/11/13 06:57 AM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: enigma6584]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

These are easy to develop skills if you are working with others. For example the guys at UK Armour are (with no offense intended) mostly a bunch of noobs. A handful had been playing single player exclusively. When they started playing coops and H2H missions they gained alot of experience. The ones that had been playing in SP said that they gained more knowledge in a few months of multiplayer than they did while playing single player during the past years. This is because they have a few guys with them who have been playing since the software came out in 2006. After a mission they discuss how it went, what could go better and the newer guys ask questions. I am not saying that is how it has to be done, who you have to join, etc, but simply providing an example of the benefits of multiplayer in a thing like this. You gain the opportunity to derive experience from the "crusty old vets" of the software that you wouldn't need to obtain from first hand experience, or from figuring things out yourself.

Last edited by TankHunter; 01/11/13 06:58 AM.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
#3721492 - 01/20/13 12:17 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: TankHunter]  
crusty Offline
crusty  Offline

Whitstable, Kent, UK
Originally Posted By: TankHunter
These are easy to develop skills if you are working with others. For example the guys at UK Armour are (with no offense intended) mostly a bunch of noobs. A handful had been playing single player exclusively. When they started playing coops and H2H missions they gained alot of experience. The ones that had been playing in SP said that they gained more knowledge in a few months of multiplayer than they did while playing single player during the past years. This is because they have a few guys with them who have been playing since the software came out in 2006. After a mission they discuss how it went, what could go better and the newer guys ask questions. I am not saying that is how it has to be done, who you have to join, etc, but simply providing an example of the benefits of multiplayer in a thing like this. You gain the opportunity to derive experience from the "crusty old vets" of the software that you wouldn't need to obtain from first hand experience, or from figuring things out yourself.

I'm a case in point, up to a year ago I'd never played any game online, I'd thought about it a lot but just never got around to it,
I'd played SB in single player mode since the original, so you could say I have a fair bit of experience of playing SB, it's when you start playing online as a team that this Sim really takes on a whole new dimension, and you realise you don't know as much as you thought you did, from not playing online at all I now play online two or three times a week, it's quite addictive.

And now my gameplay is a whole lot better, to the point that I take part in the online campaigns(when it fits in with real life/time zone) and have a blast, I learnt so much more in the last year, from the likes of TankHunter, DarkAngel, and Gibsonm (thanks guys)

There's also another side to this online play, you meet people with a common interest, and you make friends smile2

Regards
Crusty
UK ARMOUR (SB)
#3722276 - 01/21/13 07:57 PM Re: Big Changes for Steel Beasts Pro PE and Esim Games [Re: TankHunter]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Originally Posted By: TankHunter
For example the guys at UK Armour are (with no offense intended) mostly a bunch of noobs.

He is sugar coating it in my case skyisfalling

I have to agree 100 percent. Playing online in a group adds far more to the experience and yes, i realise i know bugger all and i have a way to go. Defeinietly far more pleasurable online in a group.

I have owned this game for a very long time. However the few months i have spent with UK armour has increased my ability and awareness in game many fold (i am almost at pitiful stage neaner)

Now, how do i convince them to give me grenade launchers ?????....

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 01/21/13 08:00 PM.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
MLB (baseball)
by PanzerMeyer. 05/02/24 10:37 AM
Admiral Rickover
by RossUK. 05/01/24 12:57 PM
Conversational English 1586
by PanzerMeyer. 04/30/24 10:45 AM
K2-18b - Life?
by RossUK. 04/27/24 10:46 AM
Jim Scoutten was 77
by F4UDash4. 04/27/24 10:35 AM
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.