Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3662176 - 10/13/12 09:39 AM There's really no proper AA solution?  
Sethos88 Offline
Sethos88  Offline

Denmark
Hey,

I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death, I have read around and seen a lot of discussion on the subject. However I just installed the game today ( Again ) along with the latest patch but man, it's like broken glass being thrown at me. In-game AA is working poorly / not at all. FXAA / SMAA the difference is miniscule, can't find any Nvidia Inspector bits for Sparse Grid Supersampling or the likes - Plus I'm not sure it'll even work as Inspector can only hook into the launcher.exe from what I can see? So my last resort is downscaling my U3011 and use some 3840x2400 resolution but I don't even have the correct settings for that.

So is there any light at the end of the tunnel, any solution coming any time soon that will actually provide us with a smooth looking game?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3663379 - 10/15/12 07:13 PM Re: There's really no proper AA solution? [Re: Sethos88]  
wioter Offline
wioter  Offline

Ireland, Dublin
I don't think they will fix it soon, not many peoples are complaining about it, and I thing they have tones of broken code before that... Hope I am wrong (hope is a Mother of idiots)

#3663739 - 10/16/12 12:28 PM Re: There's really no proper AA solution? [Re: Sethos88]  
BodyBag Offline
BodyBag  Offline

Denmark
You can forget about that, the game has officially been left for dead by the developers.

There will be no more work done on that game...

"In politics, stupidity is not a handicap"
- Napoleon Bonaparte -
#3663801 - 10/16/12 02:01 PM Re: There's really no proper AA solution? [Re: Sethos88]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Bag it and tag it

No I don't believe that, but it fits

#3663820 - 10/16/12 02:36 PM Re: There's really no proper AA solution? [Re: BodyBag]  
rootango Offline
rootango  Offline

everywhere
Originally Posted By: BodyBag
You can forget about that, the game has officially been left for dead by the developers.

There will be no more work done on that game...

lol, nope it hasnt been abandoned

lots of recent patches released in the last few months (4 to be exact in the last 3 months ?) fixing many elements, and one more big patch to come in the next weeks/month or so. then a long hiatus till the sequel is released ( later in 2013 ?). even if the dev themselves said no more patches till BoM (the sequel), i dont doubt that if some major issue arises they might well release a mini-patch for it, its not as if they all left the building and have gone fishing. whatever residual fixes are needed for the overall game, and new features and further improvements, will be bundled with BoM.

will there be some residual issues after the next patch, sure, but it is entirely playable in its current state already and most of the big problems from the forced release debacle have been addressed (except a major rework of the AI commands regretfully)

Be advised, we got zips in the wire
#3663826 - 10/16/12 02:43 PM Re: There's really no proper AA solution? [Re: Sethos88]  
rootango Offline
rootango  Offline

everywhere
Originally Posted By: Sethos88
Hey,

I'm sorry if this has been beaten to death, I have read around and seen a lot of discussion on the subject. However I just installed the game today ( Again ) along with the latest patch but man, it's like broken glass being thrown at me. In-game AA is working poorly / not at all. FXAA / SMAA the difference is miniscule, can't find any Nvidia Inspector bits for Sparse Grid Supersampling or the likes - Plus I'm not sure it'll even work as Inspector can only hook into the launcher.exe from what I can see? So my last resort is downscaling my U3011 and use some 3840x2400 resolution but I don't even have the correct settings for that.

So is there any light at the end of the tunnel, any solution coming any time soon that will actually provide us with a smooth looking game?

sethos,

for most people using 1920 x 1200 the lack of AA is not that big of an issue (it isnt for me on a 27' dell), but if you have such an ultra high resolution 30' monitor it might be a problem for you (as it might be on some of the newer ultra high resolution 27' and 25' screens)

the bad news for you is then that indeed there seems to be no immediate priority for this feature to be fixed, but i thought i had seen threads at 1C where people were having some luck in using 3e part programs to improve AA (havnt paid that much attention to it since i didnt need it). your best bet might be to try and ask at 1C forum, somebody might know more

Be advised, we got zips in the wire
#3667419 - 10/22/12 02:04 PM Re: There's really no proper AA solution? [Re: Sethos88]  
GregP Offline
GregP  Offline

Fairfax, VA
Just wanted to post the findings of a newcomer to COD, regarding AA: I use ATI cards, so don't have the option of Nvidia's SGSSAA (which in my experience seems to offer the absolute best antialiasing, of course at a big performance cost though). I have tried every single combination of in-game AA, AA forced through CCC, and AA forced through RadeonPro, and absolutely NONE of them make much of any difference whatsoever.

I run a triple-screen resolution of 5904x1080 (three 1920's plus bezel compensation) and while the cockpits of the British planes are generally OK, the aliasing on the German cockpits, for some reason, is just horrid. As are other nearby planes when viewed from any cockpit. I don't know why, but that's what I get.

I've also tried injecting SMAA using SweetFX, and again -- almost no effect. I do, however, use SweetFX for the other effects like sharpen, etc. which really make the color palette more to my liking.

So, bottom line for me is: even though I have 8x in-game AA on, and additional AA being forced from outside the game, still, in the end, aliasing is still sometimes really bad. Seems like the game engine itself just doesn't accommodate AA very well -- especially on ATI cards since we don't have the SGSSAA option.

Last edited by GregP; 10/22/12 02:05 PM.

i7-9700K / MSI MPG Z390 Gaming PRO Carbon AC / 64GB DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti / TrackIR5 / MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals / VKB GF MkIII + MCG Pro

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.