Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22
#3660576 - 10/10/12 09:52 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: SkateZilla]  
CTR69 Offline
CTR69  Offline

Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
Employing a First Person Shooter / Ground troops mode would require a higher LOD/Clutter on the terrain engine that's already a Graphical Bottleneck.

We'll play Arma3 instead

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3660622 - 10/10/12 10:58 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: Jedi Master]  
Ripcord Offline
Ripcord  Offline

Houston, Texas
Quote:
The FPS thing is a nice daydream, but it will never be practical.

Agreed.

And why would you want this -- you already have the ability to drive/fight any number of armored vehicles, tanks, and SAM/AAA.... is that not enough? OK, then act as the Ground FAC!!

That said, I do kinda like the idea of E&E as a downed pilot, but I'm not sure how much fun that would be as FPS. I think it is more fun to act as one of those units involved in CSAR, fighting off the enemy to get to the downed pilot and recover him. It is, in any event, an intriguing idea. Might be cool.

Quote:
At this rate, though, DCS is going to need what Thirdwire has...era restrictions.

Yes we really do need this. Right now mission builders are performing this function themselves.

Last edited by Ripcord; 10/10/12 11:08 PM.

USN/USMC -- when it positively, absolutely has to be blown up overnight.
#3660652 - 10/10/12 11:27 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: Ripcord]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted By: Ripcord

Quote:
At this rate, though, DCS is going to need what Thirdwire has...era restrictions.

Yes we really do need this. Right now mission builders are performing this function themselves.

I'm sorry, what? Why?

Nate

#3660705 - 10/11/12 02:15 AM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
eno75 Offline
eno75  Offline

I'll wait patiently for someone to reskin the uh-1h with a splathawk... Then at least while the flight model may differ slightly we can preserve the suspension of disbelief beyond otherwise extraordinary circumstances. I think the mission architects will have some fun with these... Explaining why they're being used and I'm sure there are plenty of pilots who are anxious to take the platform into the Fray- but to do what? Shoot at infantry who are either standing up or laying down... Rockets are basically useless and a machine gun isn't going to be much use against anything but predominantly soft targets that will almost always be in the company of a truck with a 23mm in the back.

I wonder if we could put the Huey in missions to resupply FARPs and other smaller bases- to resupply the warehouses that may or may not run out in the world environment. Maybe they're not bringing crates of mavericks- maybe they are brining food to sustain the ground troops. You could have your airfield forces on a timer to explode or deactivate- and then counter that condition if the help group enters a certain zone. If the helo enters the zone, the (or A ) ground unit group activates and provides supplies to thirsty birds.

Just a thought- I'm absent of any other ideas right now.

I suppose the TOW missile is an available option? In its original form almost useless at many angles on all but t55s- what with reactive armor on most surfaces from later generations.

Unfortunately I'm literally addicted to the a-10, so I'll probably need to pass this one on to the guy who will. Be equally addicted to the uh1.

I will now call the uh1 the "uhhhh wuh?"

Last edited by eno75; 10/11/12 02:21 AM.
#3660727 - 10/11/12 03:01 AM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I would seriously buy and play an F-4 Phantom.

#3660806 - 10/11/12 08:20 AM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Well technically we can script a troop drop off point by flying to a low alt trigger with small radius which spawns a unit of troops at that location.

Problem with that is that the UH1H can't pick up or redistribute supplies or assets (yet - unless ED has something in the pipeline soonish).

The big question is, can a player enter the Uh1H after the aircraft has spawned (without the need to be assigned to the aircraft in selection screen). If so, does a player have to own the UH1H to occupy the gunner position? If the answer to that is YES and NO respectively, then there could be some fun if you are shot down to request over teamspeak a pick up from a UH1H.

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 10/11/12 08:24 AM.

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
#3660848 - 10/11/12 11:14 AM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: eno75]  
ADHS Offline
ADHS  Offline

Australia
Originally Posted By: eno75

I wonder if we could put the Huey in missions to resupply FARPs and other smaller bases- to resupply the warehouses that may or may not run out in the world environment. Maybe they're not bringing crates of mavericks- maybe they are brining food to sustain the ground troops. You could have your airfield forces on a timer to explode or deactivate- and then counter that condition if the help group enters a certain zone. If the helo enters the zone, the (or A ) ground unit group activates and provides supplies to thirsty birds.
Just a thought- I'm absent of any other ideas right now.

Scenarios may be appear but practically is just imagination with an active modern AA nearby.
In the mean while, what all the downed pilots will do till the resupply happens ?

#3661341 - 10/11/12 09:34 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: SkateZilla]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
Employing a First Person Shooter / Ground troops mode would require a higher LOD/Clutter on the terrain engine that's already a Graphical Bottleneck.

I made a suggestion in another discussion about this issue, and promptly got dumped on for it, but i'll throw it out here anyway.

What if instead of clients using varying LODs of the same map according to their role or proximity to the ground, a different map (or even a different engine) were loaded according to the client's role? I.E. there's one map for the aviation clients, and then for the ground level units, there's a set of smaller maps of higher LODs (essentially tiles of the larger map), and only the map being used by the client is loaded?

Picture any of the relatively low resolution towns you see in the black sea region in DCS being built as a small, higher resolution FPS style map, and the client being in one or the other, but the unit being represented in both. Would that not work?

For multiplayer missions, this could be managed by limiting ground units' AORs to single tile/map, and forcing them to load another map if they choose to cross into another tile. A fair tradeoff i think.

In the other discussion, someone said it's "impossible" to link multiplayer activity between two different maps, but as a wargaming analyst for the canadian military, i can tell you for a fact that's false, and it absolutely can be done, not only between differing maps in the same sim, but across different sims as well (realtime linking VBS2 games with JCATS for example: http://products.bisimulations.com/sites/default/files/file_uploads/IAV%20Conference%20FINAL.pdf).

In the end, what we're talking about is transmitting an X,Y,Z coordinate and directional orientation between systems. And if there's ever a conflict in weapons effects based on differing LODs (i.e. you shoot your .50 cals at a guy you saw in your flight map, but from his point of view, he was hidden behind a garbage can that wasn't in your version because of the lower LOD from your point of view), the server can just defer to the higher LOD version.

Last edited by Chris2525; 10/11/12 09:40 PM.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
#3661396 - 10/11/12 11:21 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
scotsmen54 Offline
scotsmen54  Offline

Canada
Why not just make 2 individual games. Then there will be no problems except for fixing all the bugs each would have. sigh

#3661405 - 10/11/12 11:45 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: Chris2525]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Chris2525

I made a suggestion in another discussion about this issue, and promptly got dumped on for it, but i'll throw it out here anyway.

What if instead of clients using varying LODs of the same map according to their role or proximity to the ground, a different map (or even a different engine) were loaded according to the client's role? I.E. there's one map for the aviation clients, and then for the ground level units, there's a set of smaller maps of higher LODs (essentially tiles of the larger map), and only the map being used by the client is loaded?

Picture any of the relatively low resolution towns you see in the black sea region in DCS being built as a small, higher resolution FPS style map, and the client being in one or the other, but the unit being represented in both. Would that not work?

For multiplayer missions, this could be managed by limiting ground units' AORs to single tile/map, and forcing them to load another map if they choose to cross into another tile. A fair tradeoff i think.

In the other discussion, someone said it's "impossible" to link multiplayer activity between two different maps, but as a wargaming analyst for the canadian military, i can tell you for a fact that's false, and it absolutely can be done, not only between differing maps in the same sim, but across different sims as well (realtime linking VBS2 games with JCATS for example: http://products.bisimulations.com/sites/default/files/file_uploads/IAV%20Conference%20FINAL.pdf).

In the end, what we're talking about is transmitting an X,Y,Z coordinate and directional orientation between systems. And if there's ever a conflict in weapons effects based on differing LODs (i.e. you shoot your .50 cals at a guy you saw in your flight map, but from his point of view, he was hidden behind a garbage can that wasn't in your version because of the lower LOD from your point of view), the server can just defer to the higher LOD version.

Pretty true actually...
DIS LAN is a standard...

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3661661 - 10/12/12 02:03 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
I think it's a brilliant idea Chris. I don't know what the technical challenges are..

Doesn't Stalker use some sort of connected module theater or something that loads when you move from one area to another?

Would be cool if that ultimately came to pass.. Although it might be a big challenge to have the flight sim participants see what the infantry guys are doing in the town. (You'd have to be able to see them moving and doing their thing down there right..?)

Interesting concept though. I like the thought..

#3661679 - 10/12/12 02:28 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I love the Huey platform but like others can't really see where this fits in. I know this particular announcement is 3rd party but I still don't 'get' which direction ED are going in when you look at their previous releases.......I'm still not convinced they actually know which direction they're moving in themselves.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3661711 - 10/12/12 03:07 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: Paradaz]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

They're moving in the direction of providing a simulation platform, which is DCS: World. This platform is not specific to an era, nor to a particular type of vehicle. It can host a 3rd party tank, or warship if someone cared to make one.

Originally Posted By: Paradaz
I love the Huey platform but like others can't really see where this fits in. I know this particular announcement is 3rd party but I still don't 'get' which direction ED are going in when you look at their previous releases.......I'm still not convinced they actually know which direction they're moving in themselves.

--
44th VFW
#3661760 - 10/12/12 04:22 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Sure they do but they could do it a little bit more controlled than slapping in somewhat "irrelevant" flying objects in a seemingly random order.
Blame the 3rd party all you want but ED and DCS will pay the reputation no matter what.

#3661767 - 10/12/12 04:35 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

*COUGH COUGH* FSX *COUGH COUGH*

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3661768 - 10/12/12 04:39 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: theOden]  
159th_Viper Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!
159th_Viper  Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: theOden
Sure they do but they could do it a little bit more controlled than slapping in somewhat "irrelevant" flying objects in a seemingly random order.
Blame the 3rd party all you want but ED and DCS will pay the reputation no matter what.

There has been a definite and deliberate intent to date:

1 - Coaxial Helicopter (Kamov)
2 - Jet (A-10)
3 - Prop (Mustang)

With 3rd party offerings to be released soon:

4 - Fast-Jet (Mig-21)
5 - Normal Helicopter (Huey)

Nothing haphazard or random about that. They are showcasing what the DCS engine is capable of in catering for the broadest possible spectrum of flyables. DCS is not about specific airframes set in a specific time.

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#3661770 - 10/12/12 04:41 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Must be the language barrier for me as a foreigner so I'll just drop it right here.

#3661824 - 10/12/12 06:19 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
after I eject I walk around for fun sometimes, all we need is a separate control scheme for ground troops and weapons, as Im not gonna use my stick and rudder pedals to control my speed and heading im walking

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3661851 - 10/12/12 06:54 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: komemiute]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Originally Posted By: komemiute
*COUGH COUGH* FSX *COUGH COUGH*

Exactly! You guys need to broaden your horizons a bit and realize there is an enormous, enormous world out there of people that just want to drive around in intricately modeled aircraft. Even if they never drop a bomb or shoot a gun or accomplish a mission, they are fine with that. I hope DCS can capture some of that market (if that is their intent..)

Roll on the DCS Grand Caravan!

#3661860 - 10/12/12 07:03 PM Re: Announcement: DCS: UH-1H Huey [Re: citizen guod]  
NickMow Offline
NickMow  Offline

Berkshire UK
I think it's all quite remarkable. A little disjointed but hey if you dont want to fly a Huey, then don't fly a Huey.
Wonder what the big scheme is ? Air/Sea/land battle. Maybe one day. I like the FSX analogy but it clearly demands some quality control.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight..you planned it wrong" (WFO)
Page 5 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 21 22

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
How Many WW2 Veterans Still Alive 2024?
by F4UDash4. 04/26/24 02:45 AM
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.